iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Sep 25, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #1,006 of 9,047

I just got a reply from John at iFi who suggested to send the unit back to Avatar Acoustics to be looked at and am waiting for them to respond via email with an answer.  The hiss is more pronounced with my Beyerdynamic DT990 headphones than on my Harbeth P3ESR speakers, and as I said is only noticeable when music is silent or between tracks.

I thought the issue you said earlier looks quite serious against to "only noticeable when music is silent or between tracks"? Anyways, I don't have this issue - read the earlier threads about different people and their setups. Hope they can do something for you. May be they can, may be they can't. Otherwise you may send it back asking for a refund if you are unhappy about the in-between tracks thing
popcorn.gif

Sep 25, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #1,007 of 9,047
  I thought the issue you said earlier looks quite serious against to "only noticeable when music is silent or between tracks"? Anyways, I don't have this issue - read the earlier threads about different people and their setups. Hope they can do something for you. May be they can, may be they can't. Otherwise you may send it back asking for a refund if you are unhappy about the in-between tracks thing
popcorn.gif

Never said serious...  The only reason this it being brought up, is due to Mashi-Maro stating that hiss completely disappeared in bit perfect mode on his unit following a board replacement to reduce a channel imbalance issue with the potentiometer. 

I am completely happy with my iDSD micro however, if there has been a running change to improve it's signal to noise ratio specification in this mode; I would definitely be interested in having it installed in my device.
smile_phones.gif

Sep 25, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #1,008 of 9,047

Never said serious...  The only reason this it being brought up, is due to Mashi-Maro stating that hiss completely disappeared in bit perfect mode on his unit following a board replacement to reduce a channel imbalance issue with the potentiometer. 

I am completely happy with my iDSD micro however, if there has been a running change to improve it's signal to noise ratio specification in this mode; I would definitely be interested in having it installed in my device.
smile_phones.gif

Sep 26, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #1,010 of 9,047
Which filter are you guys using? I bought the micro a week ago and it's just wow. However I canot hear a real difference between the different filters though. I'm using the micro with my sennheiser hd 700.

Very subtle difference between the three settings to my ears, with standard sounding the most digital and bit perfect sounding more like analog (iFi also recommends this setting).  Very impressed with iFi for giving these PCM/DSD conversion options to it's customers.

Sep 26, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #1,011 of 9,047
Very subtle difference between the three settings to my ears, with standard sounding the most digital and bit perfect sounding more like analog (iFi also recommends this setting).  Very impressed with iFi for giving these PCM/DSD conversion options to it's customers.

So which filter would you recommend?
I'm pretty new to the hifi segment. Currently I'm listening to my rig at work with spotify premium.

Don't know anything bout bit perfect and so on...

Sep 26, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #1,012 of 9,047
Sep 26, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #1,013 of 9,047
  Torrent format huh? :wink: 

Anyother good sites and music i can try? 
I only found a lot of classic music in high res. I don't mind hearing classic music though..but thats just not my really preferred music. However I hear it from time to time. 

I hear basically anything...my music taste is weird that way :wink: 
soundtrack scores
frank sinatra
classic
current charts
some funk
jazz

so i will leave it on bit perfect then...thats what i was going with the last couple of days. 

You guys suggesting flac or dsd with it? 

I realize that torrents can make people uncomfortable, but some of the recordings are really good on that site to try out.

Otherwise, you can get some paid-for hires music from many sites to try out. More selection becomes available every day to satisfy many music tastes.

Sep 26, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #1,014 of 9,047
I have a question regarding the use of IFi Micro with a computer. Does the iFi Micro "bypass" the onboard soundcard when playing DSD-files or do I need a special soundcard which is capable of playing dsd-files?
I have read a lot of reviews but I am not quite sure how the iFi Micro works together with a computer.

Sep 26, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #1,015 of 9,047
  I have a question regarding the use of IFi Micro with a computer. Does the iFi Micro "bypass" the onboard soundcard when playing DSD-files or do I need a special soundcard which is capable of playing dsd-files?
I have read a lot of reviews but I am not quite sure how the iFi Micro works together with a computer.

Of course it will bypass the onboard sound card. Won't be much good if it doesn't.

You do however need to setup the playback software in order to have native decoding, mainly just ASIO stuff.

Though we call it USB DAC, technically it is still an external soundcard as far as PC is concerned. So basically micro iDSD is already a 'special' soundcard.

Sep 26, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #1,016 of 9,047
Sep 27, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #1,017 of 9,047
Sep 27, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #1,018 of 9,047

3 Steps: Micro iDSD "DoP pop" fix via Firmware upgrade

With native DSD playback, on some audio software playback programs, the "pop" issue is dealt with/not dealt with. This is an upstream characteristics of native, DSD playback and varies from system to system.

Upgraded my Micro iDSD, and now the nasty "pop" issue with DSD is gone!
Now playing my DSD collections is a very enjoyable experience 
k701smile.gif

Big Thanks to @iFi audio !

Sep 27, 2014 at 12:36 AM Post #1,019 of 9,047

I think you might have misunderstood what 'bit perfect' filter means in micro DSD - it means 'non-oversampling' (NOS) actually, which isn't the same as what that article is talking.

Did you experience volume change when playing DSD, and switch the Filter switch from Bit-Perfect to Minimum Phase, then to Standard?
I hear volume is increasing, like around 2-3 dB when switching from Bit-Perfect to Minimum Phase. And around 1-2 dB increase when switching from Minimum Phase to Standard.
Is it normal?

Thanks!

Sep 27, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #1,020 of 9,047
When you change the filters for DSD you are changing the analog filters, a different set from the digital filters for PCM. The term Bit-Perfect, Minimum Phase and Standard does not apply to DSD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back