ifI iCan Pro - Impressions & Discussion
Oct 9, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #1,606 of 2,267
I wonder if anyone else has this issue...

If there is balanced input, and then the selector is switched to one of the three RCA inputs, I hear a little bit of the balanced input when the volume dial is turned up all the way. Just make sure there's no RCA input before doing this.

I don't use the RCA inputs, but if others have that issue, then that is a huge strike against this amplifier.
Crosstalk is kinda inevitable but the fact tying have to have the volume knob cranked doesn’t make it an issue

Oct 28, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #1,611 of 2,267
I had the Ares 1 briefly (which is almost the same with different filters I can't hear a difference for anyway) with it and it's an excellent DAC for the price being R-2R. Nevertheless the Soekris 1421 (similarly priced with included amp) for a little more is a much better option and I kept it and sold the Ares.

Oct 29, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #1,613 of 2,267
I had the Ares 1 briefly (which is almost the same with different filters I can't hear a difference for anyway) with it and it's an excellent DAC for the price being R-2R. Nevertheless the Soekris 1421 (similarly priced with included amp) for a little more is a much better option and I kept it and sold the Ares.

Does the Soekris provide a more analytical sound, more detail? I tried the Ares II with my tube amp and found that warm with warm does not go well together since too much detail was lost. Does the Soekris provide more detail / instrument separation?

Oct 29, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #1,614 of 2,267
Yes. It's not a warm DAC like the Airist, and about the same are the Ares, but it's more detailed. One of the most obvious things which made it preferred (since the iCAN makes evaluating up to 4 DACS quite easy) was some acoustic guitar in a song on the 1421 were very clear and at the extremes of the soundstage. On the Ares, not only could I barely hear it, but it was mushed towards the center. The more I compared the more I felt like I was missing and that the 1421 is just more clear. The 1421 was unbalanced and the Ares was connected balanced.

Oct 31, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #1,615 of 2,267
Guys thank you so much for yours opinion,I really appreciate!!! I also have Phonitor X with Dac and seems to me Phonitor sound little better, more details and more meat, but anyway now I’m hooked to Ican .
What you think is make a sense to change usb cable for Hifi one , I mean cable from comp to Dac?

Nov 5, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #1,616 of 2,267
I aggre with that, i don't really like this bright sound of TT2 but it is more precise than Pro IDSD.
Anyone compare the TT2 vs. TT2 as DAC to Pro iCAN in SS mode?
I’m considering selling off most things and ending up with a TT2 as TOTL SS amp and driving Glenn OTL once that arrives. However I want to be sure the amp on the TT2 sounds good as or better than the iCAN as a SS amap. I love the iCAN with the Hugo 2.

Nov 5, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #1,617 of 2,267
I’m considering selling off most things and ending up with a TT2 as TOTL SS amp and driving Glenn OTL once that arrives. However I want to be sure the amp on the TT2 sounds good as or better than the iCAN as a SS amap. I love the iCAN with the Hugo 2.
To me, the TT2‘s amp section is good but it’s not as good as the Pro iCan’s amp section. It’s definitely a better DAC

Nov 22, 2020 at 1:54 AM Post #1,619 of 2,267
I have this setup. Tt2 as a dac to iCan for 1266 TC Phi. Having said, as amp iCan is better if you have power hungry headphone. But, if you have an easy to drive full size, I would suggest to use TT2 as a dac/amp. Please consider, I’m comparing SS mode of iCan. Using iCan in tube mode with TT2, gives me best result for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back