iFi audio's worst kept secret: the hip-dac!
Nov 21, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #526 of 794
Do you have a link for the OTG iPhone cable for hip DAC? Any alternative to the CCK would be most welcome.

Nov 25, 2020 at 8:33 PM Post #529 of 794
I've just purchased the hip dac and using it on tidal with Android and select master playback, however the light stays the same green regardless of what track steaming quality i;ve selected.
This includes hifi or Master MQA quality. Shouldnt it change to a different color? Am i missing something? Please advise

Nov 25, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #530 of 794
I've just purchased the hip dac and using it on tidal with Android and select master playback, however the light stays the same green regardless of what track steaming quality i;ve selected.
This includes hifi or Master MQA quality. Shouldnt it change to a different color? Am i missing something? Please advise

The only way to use mqa (magenta led) is with usb audio player pro and with mqa ad on.
With Tidal app you can do it only if your phone can unfold mqa native (LG phones for example)

Nov 25, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #531 of 794
The only way to use mqa (magenta led) is with usb audio player pro and with mqa ad on.
With Tidal app you can do it only if your phone can unfold mqa native (LG phones for example)

Thanks for the heads up, I've tried it also on my laptop with tidal master with the latest 3.20 driver and still the mqa light doesnt come on? am i missing additional steps?

Nov 25, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #532 of 794
Thanks for the heads up, I've tried it also on my laptop with tidal master with the latest 3.20 driver and still the mqa light doesnt come on? am i missing additional steps?

Got tidal MQA working in tidal, had to make sure hip dac was selected in tidal. Next select additional settings and tick the option "let tidal use audio device exclusively"
then MQA lights up!

Nov 25, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #533 of 794
Got tidal MQA working in tidal, had to make sure hip dac was selected in tidal. Next select additional settings and tick the option "let tidal use audio device exclusively"
then MQA lights up!

Glad you got it sorted! Let us know if we can do anything on our end to assist.

Nov 26, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #534 of 794
Was bummed this morning when the rain came down then the sun came up lickety split. Gave the hip dac its first action and was treated a wonderful pairing with the Diana Phi as well as a full sized rainbow! Happy thanksgiving everyone.
C6F7D287-465A-4098-8212-99E2BB6ED646.jpeg

Nov 26, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #535 of 794
Was bummed this morning when the rain came down then the sun came up lickety split. Gave the hip dac its first action and was treated a wonderful pairing with the Diana Phi as well as a full sized rainbow! Happy thanksgiving everyone.

Thanks!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Nov 26, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #536 of 794
Hi, new hip dac owner here from Peru, first day sounds awesome with my Beyer DT 770 250Ohm (gain match), first time I enjoy MQA with dac, there is much difference.
Tomorrow firmware update

kind regards

Hola amigo! Tengo el hip dac desde hace 1 mes aprox... Mi idea es comprar los DT 770 PRO 250ohm, que tal tu experiencia con tus auris y el dac? Los puede mover bien?
Saludos desde Argentina!!

Nov 30, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #538 of 794

That’s not correct. He probably hadnt switched over to exclusive mode on the app or something.

The hip dac renders the rest of the file Tidal app unfolds.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #539 of 794
At least in my experience using the hip-dac on Samsung devices (I have a Note 20), this is correct. Once I select exclusive mode, the hip-dac's light automatically turns magenta.

I'm not too experienced in Android, but I wouldn't be shocked if it varies from device to device in regards to you having Native MQA decoding.

Once you are in exclusive mode, the hip-dac should detect MQA one way or other.

Dec 1, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #540 of 794
Hi, just joined the ifi hip-dac club which I'm using with Sennheiser HD599.

Like others, I was a bit confused about the whole usb power mode. Originally was playing off my laptop with just the USB A plugged in when it died suddenly indicating no power. So after reading here it seems I need to have the usb C power cable in at all times to enable usb power mode. Glad I found this thread cos otherwise I thought I had faulty unit.

Its a great device and although mines is primarily to be used desktop, its great to have the flexibility to take it with me if required.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back