iFi audio ZEN Stream - Streaming elevated to a higher plane
Aug 1, 2022 at 9:40 PM Post #4,441 of 5,863
Unfortunately, I can't provide any teases or hints about this or future products.

Let me check on our end if we have Atmos support!
Roon unfortunately doesn’t have Atmos support, so if the ZS does, it would have to be via Tidal Connect—so the next step would be to check whether Tidal’s Atmos files are compatible with that method of transport..,

Aug 1, 2022 at 10:50 PM Post #4,442 of 5,863
I have also reached out to Qobuz on this topic, and keep getting the canned it's in the works response!
Yes canned response because they are still working on it.

Qobuz recent public comment on it below. It's not an easy task.

Spotify Connect is the gold standard and even TIDAL haven't been able to do Connect as well as Spotify yet, even though it works well.

For example, with Tidal you can't use it's desktop app to be the Connect device, you can only use it to be the controller app. With Spotify you can.

And with Tidal you can't pick up a different device to take over the control app. With Spotify you can.

So you can imagine the challenge Qobuz has and why they can't say much more yet.

But yes, once it is launched, I expect it will come to many Linux based streamers.

1659408523697.png

Aug 2, 2022 at 1:02 AM Post #4,443 of 5,863
Roon unfortunately doesn’t have Atmos support, so if the ZS does, it would have to be via Tidal Connect—so the next step would be to check whether Tidal’s Atmos files are compatible with that method of transport..,

I wasn't even aware of this - I don't usually listen to Atmos tracks myself. Thanks for clarifying!

Spotify Connect is the gold standard and even TIDAL haven't been able to do Connect as well as Spotify yet, even though it works well.

For example, with Tidal you can't use it's desktop app to be the Connect device, you can only use it to be the controller app. With Spotify you can.

And with Tidal you can't pick up a different device to take over the control app. With Spotify you can.

So you can imagine the challenge Qobuz has and why they can't say much more yet.

But yes, once it is launched, I expect it will come to many Linux based streamers.

1659408523697.png

This is very important to keep in mind with Qobuz Connect - we are also on their calendar.

Please keep in mind that this is not "their fault" as this is a massive task to undertake - if anyone can do it as quickly as possible, the first time around, it's Qobuz.

Aug 2, 2022 at 3:41 AM Post #4,444 of 5,863
There are several Qobuz tracks and it all depends on the contacts you have to make a more global deployment.
For Zen Stream, there is the possibility of using your partnership with Volumio. Even if their solution is not optimal, it allows you to have Qobuz via MyVolumio.
For ZS users, there is the possibility of using all the third-party applications that integrate Qobuz: Roon, HQPlayer (surprising that this single developer integrates a solution so quickly...), BuBBleUPNP....

In short, all this is known and mastered by your development team. It remains to be seen, with pleasure, what choices you will make to create your interface, like others (for example Cambridge...).
And then, for all the Tidal users, thanks to iFi for creating ifi-tidal-release package :wink:

(without retro compatibility, it will remain difficult for the Zen Stream with a Debian Jessie version). :rolling_eyes:

Aug 2, 2022 at 4:27 AM Post #4,445 of 5,863
There are several Qobuz tracks and it all depends on the contacts you have to make a more global deployment.
For Zen Stream, there is the possibility of using your partnership with Volumio. Even if their solution is not optimal, it allows you to have Qobuz via MyVolumio.
For ZS users, there is the possibility of using all the third-party applications that integrate Qobuz: Roon, HQPlayer (surprising that this single developer integrates a solution so quickly...), BuBBleUPNP....

In short, all this is known and mastered by your development team. It remains to be seen, with pleasure, what choices you will make to create your interface, like others (for example Cambridge...).
And then, for all the Tidal users, thanks to iFi for creating ifi-tidal-release package :wink:

(without retro compatibility, it will remain difficult for the Zen Stream with a Debian Jessie version). :rolling_eyes:
I am wondering when or if they’ll upgrade the ZS to the latest Volumio build, although since I only use it in Roon-Only mode at this point, I probably wouldn’t be able to enjoy any of the advantages. The GUI on the ZS, without Roon to override it, has to me always been a shade above serviceable.

Aug 2, 2022 at 5:35 AM Post #4,446 of 5,863

1659408523697.png
It must not be an easy task at all!

Mind you I am a huge Qobuz supporter, but they have had how many years to implement a connect feature? I know that I asked at least two years ago, or late 2019 at best.

So while I see they are still "working on it" for that I am glad. Personally I do not need it as I am a Roon user.

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Aug 2, 2022 at 5:42 AM Post #4,448 of 5,863
Mind you I am a huge Qobuz supporter, but they have had how many years to implement a connect feature? I know that I asked at least two years ago, or late 2019 at best.
They reset their approach completely last year.

Starting from scratch - even though 'Qobuz Connect' term has been around since 2018 but it didn't mean the same thing that it means today.

I know after discussing with them since 2018

Aug 2, 2022 at 6:41 AM Post #4,449 of 5,863
For the life of me I don’t know why you’re getting defensive about my post or attacking me for it—if you like the way your NAIM sounds, more power to you, and who cares what I think?

However in response to your question about whether I have a DAC “resolving” enough to handle the mighty NAIM, I did a whole lot of comparison shopping for DACs at all price points (as a physician, I am capable of affording the pricey stuff, thanks—but I’m interested in actual quality), and I settled on the Topping D90se—the most “resolving”, transparent, cleanest and quietest DAC that has reached the market to date—and trust me, it can handle any signal you throw at it.

And I paired it with an iFi Pro iCAN Signature, which matches perfectly with the Focal Utopias, Susvaras, Dan Clark Stealths and the Sony Z1Rs I use via balanced connections to listen to it. Will that setup suffice?

As for your next question, I have indeed heard a NAIM streamer, but more importantly I understand what’s going on under the hood with streaming technology—which exists exclusively in the digital realm. So if you’re comparing the ZS’s streaming transport to the NAIM’s, the latter literally can’t sound “better” because it doesn’t have a sound—unless of course your NAIM has a DAC, and you’re comparing apples to oranges.

If you aren’t using the internal DAC of the NAIM and you truly are comparing the sound quality between the two streaming signals only, then the only explanation that can possibly exist for your subjective assessment of that—based on the task they’re accomplishing—is that your $6,000 extra are tricking your ears into hearing it sound better, which believe me is a well-described phenomenon.

Either way, since we’re on the ZS forum, please take your praise for the NAIM—which is priced so feloniously that their CEO should be locked up—to its own forum, thank you!

PS Those Audioquest Diamond cables don’t do anything better than cheap Amazon cables can do, because again, digital. Network cables travel by TCP/IP and any packet errors are automatically sent back to be resent, and ones and zeros travel just as well along an inexpensive USB cable as they do across your four figure priced ones—this has been definitively proven a thousand times and Audioquest has never refuted it. It was nice and pretentious of you to drop the names though, just so we’d know how much you spent.

I don’t know about you, but I save my money for my headphones, where it matters—and I buy audio equipment to listen to it, not to impress folks on here. Just sayin’…
Everyone believes in what they want to believe, if you are happy with it, enjoy, you do not have to spend more and are served for life. Have nothing more to add.

Aug 2, 2022 at 8:11 AM Post #4,450 of 5,863
Avoid Tidal and use Roon for faultless high quality streaming by the Zen. Mine is always on and did not miss a beat since almost a year ago when subscribed to Roon. Qobuz and my local TB library running in the Rock are plenty enough so I don't miss Spotify or Tidal.
I use Tidal Connect only and have no problems at all. Works and sounds like a charm. Cheers

Aug 2, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #4,452 of 5,863
That is great! Some 80% of this thread is about Tidal issues such as the LED colour being pink instead of magenta when playing mqa files at 768² kbps at 64X decoding 😂
I'm sure that's a very serious matter. It must have spoiled the pleasure of listening to music. I meant to say that for those who just want to stream music directly from Tidal using the Zen Stream, Tidal Connect works smoothly and the sound is very good (my system downstream is a Zen Signature V2, an Hegel H95 and Revel Performa 3 M106 speakers; and the Seenheiser HD560s connected to the amplifier when I need to use headphones). With regard to colours, I get yellow for PCM 44/48, very rarely white for PCM above that, Green for MQA and Blue for MQA Studio. The DAC shows the same colours. I take your word that there are colour issues with other resolutions, but for the kind of use I`ve just described, I'm happy with Tidal. Maybe Quobuz would sound better but I don't want to had an extra device to my hifi system in order to use Quobuz, let alone paying for an extra subscription (Roon). I've used Roon and think it's great but wish Roon users would stop thinking that anyone who doesn't feel the need to use it is a fool. So, if anyone out there is thinking of buying the Zen Stream to use Tidal, I say "go for it, you won't regret it". Cheers

Aug 2, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #4,453 of 5,863
I know how to get that long desired secret magenta color @sabloke !!

But I'm keeping it to myself for when and if I ever go back full time to Tidal!!😂😂😂

Ahh the days of one color MQA 😜😜

Roon users don't think people that don't use Roon are silly or misguided lol, we may come across that way but we're just try to help!!

By the way Roon + Qobuz = The same as Tidal Masters Tier, and we'll then...

Ugh I did it again didn't I 😂😜😂!!

Cheers!!

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Aug 2, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #4,454 of 5,863
I know how to get that long desired secret magenta color @sabloke !!

But I'm keeping it to myself for when and if I ever go back full time to Tidal!!😂😂😂

Ahh the days of one color MQA 😜😜

Roon users don't think people that don't use Roon are silly or misguided lol, we may come across that way but we're just try to help!!

By the way Roon + Qobuz = The same as Tidal Masters Tier, and we'll then...

Ugh I did it again didn't I 😂😜😂!!

Cheers!!
In my country (Brazil): Tidal Masters (aprox. 6 USD, in local currency); Quobuz (aprox. 4 USD, also local); Roon - 12 USD (international transaction). Do the math. However, the main reason I don't use Roon is the need to have my computer turned on all the time or else buy a Roon Core. At the end of the day, I get a really good platform, with clever links and good info, but the sound quality is the same, at best. So, I stick to Tidal. My point is: should someone ask if Tidal works and sounds well with the Stream, the answer is YES. No need to use Roon. However, if that person is interested in using Roon, for whatever reason, the answer would also be YES. Otherwise, it is misleading for people who are trying to make a decision about buying HIFI gear. It is a behaviour pattern in the HIFi community to think that anything other than what we use is not good enough, so if someone is thinking of buying a 2000 USD amp and asks for advice, very often the response is "buy a 6000 USD one" because that's the one I use and sounds better. Anyway, enough said. Enjoy the music with Tidal or Quobuz/Roon with stream.

Aug 2, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #4,455 of 5,863
In my country (Brazil): Tidal Masters (aprox. 6 USD, in local currency); Quobuz (aprox. 4 USD, also local); Roon - 12 USD (international transaction). Do the math. However, the main reason I don't use Roon is the need to have my computer turned on all the time or else buy a Roon Core. At the end of the day, I get a really good platform, with clever links and good info, but the sound quality is the same, at best. So, I stick to Tidal. My point is: should someone ask if Tidal works and sounds well with the Stream, the answer is YES. No need to use Roon. However, if that person is interested in using Roon, for whatever reason, the answer would also be YES. Otherwise, it is misleading for people who are trying to make a decision about buying HIFI gear. It is a behaviour pattern in the HIFi community to think that anything other than what we use is not good enough, so if someone is thinking of buying a 2000 USD amp and asks for advice, very often the response is "buy a 6000 USD one" because that's the one I use and sounds better. Anyway, enough said. Enjoy the music with Tidal or Quobuz/Roon with stream.
I was only kidding Bro, 😂😂

And you can have yourself a Roon Core by buying one of those little Mini PC's by Bmax or whatever for like 150 bucks and let that run!

Everybody who Suggests Roon never tells the truth!! You don't need to buy a Roon Core or spend tons of money! My first Roon Core/Srver was an old 2009 iMac I had in a back room, my second was this wompin machine...
48E99A20-0B5D-4E18-BC2B-399CEBC0422B.jpeg

Hardcore Roon users will never tell you that this will work, unless I guess you were going to run 6 streams out of it, then it might slow down, honestly don't know.

Not everything needs to be 6000 dollars to work well, as you said!!

Cheers!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back