iFi audio ZEN Stream - Streaming elevated to a higher plane
Jun 13, 2022 at 11:26 PM Post #4,247 of 5,863
I've been trying to get Qobuz here in Czech Republic for at least 3 years. If you have any contacts and can convince them, you're in for some free Pilsner Urquell if you come for a visit :wink:

I'll happily drop a note to the team for you :)

@Sebastien Chiu : You can confirm. Finally no more kernel and system evolution. No DSD512/PCM 768. Is the product frozen ?

Can you expand upon what you mean by "frozen"?

Jun 14, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #4,249 of 5,863
Just noticed this static IP thing ....

Is it only to solve drop outs? Is there any other benefits?
I use a wired connection with my ZS. I set static IPs for all my wired connections above x.x.x.240. This greatly minimizes any problems with ethernet connections. I let my Wi-Fi devices use DHCP. I don't experience any dropouts with the ZS.

Jun 14, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #4,250 of 5,863
Can you expand upon what you mean by "frozen"?
The development framework is "frozen". It will not evolve anymore: same OS (Volumio2), same kernel, same distribution (Debian Jessie with for example the version 3.40 of networkaudiod - NAA - when today it is the 4.20).
Only the support of improvement of what whas to work at the beginning is assured ?

Jun 15, 2022 at 6:29 PM Post #4,251 of 5,863
@Sebastien Chiu Which iPower X do you recommend to improve the ZS: 12V 2A or 15V 1,5A? Or both are fine?

Jun 16, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #4,252 of 5,863
Wondered if I could free up another power socket on my power conditioner- new Chord Mojo 2 can charge off USB if it has a 2A minimum. I read all the USB specs and I still don't know. iFi Zen Stream says it's 5V on the back but some USB specs saying 900ma max. I've got USB audio signal going into Chord Mojo 2 via USB-C. Any ideas if iFi Zen Stream can output enough power to keep Mojo 2 charged and in desktop mode? Also, does ZS still output USB power when switched off- to make sure Mojo 2 has battery/can charge?
@Sebastien Chiu

Jun 16, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #4,253 of 5,863
The development framework is "frozen". It will not evolve anymore: same OS (Volumio2), same kernel, same distribution (Debian Jessie with for example the version 3.40 of networkaudiod - NAA - when today it is the 4.20).
Only the support of improvement of what whas to work at the beginning is assured ?

I asked our development team to see if there was an update we could provide for you soon.

@Sebastien Chiu Which iPower X do you recommend to improve the ZS: 12V 2A or 15V 1,5A? Or both are fine?

Both are fine, but I've personally had the best experience with the 12v.

Wondered if I could free up another power socket on my power conditioner- new Chord Mojo 2 can charge off USB if it has a 2A minimum. I read all the USB specs and I still don't know. iFi Zen Stream says it's 5V on the back but some USB specs saying 900ma max. I've got USB audio signal going into Chord Mojo 2 via USB-C. Any ideas if iFi Zen Stream can output enough power to keep Mojo 2 charged and in desktop mode? Also, does ZS still output USB power when switched off- to make sure Mojo 2 has battery/can charge?
@Sebastien Chiu

I haven't tried this before, but I don't think the Zen Stream will be able to keep it charged at the same time.

Jun 16, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #4,254 of 5,863
@Sebastien Chiu
not sure about mojo 2, but on Hugo 2, the zen stream can charge it at a slow rate and get it into desktop mode. that being said, in desktop mode there is a lack of bass energy likely due to the low current

Jun 16, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #4,255 of 5,863
not sure about mojo 2, but on Hugo 2, the zen stream can charge it at a slow rate and get it into desktop mode. that being said, in desktop mode there is a lack of bass energy likely due to the low current
@Barone Birra I asked same question very recently if you go back through the thread- I received some excellent responses: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ifi...-a-higher-plane.958391/page-278#post-16963831
Magic cheers @endless402 and thanks Sebastien. I did have a Qutest in a different system a while back, loved that, but tried to do a system with a more modest budget this time, and the Mojo 2 does sound pretty good. Noticeable guessing from memory- maybe is less soundstage. I think there was some work done to properly implement a desktop mode on the Mojo 2. I briefly tried a few different things and as @Sebastien Chiu said- switching off the ZS seemed to stop the Mojo charging and that's enough to drop it out of Desktop mode, which probably then means the Mojo 2 charging on, off etc and could just ruin the battery over time- and/or not even charge it enough in the short term. Think I did notice a tiny bit more harshness running off the mains, but, could just be because the Mojo 2 was running off battery. Have been considering getting an iPower X to power the Mojo 2, but not heard any feedback on that. I did ask about PSUs in the Mojo 2 forum but crickets on that question. iPower X for ZS and for BT modem/ethernet switch/router are on the list first though.... but maybe iPower X 5v for the Mojo 2 should be higher on the list than a 12V for the modem/router/ethernet switch....:thinking::thinking:

Jun 17, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #4,256 of 5,863
Is there any solution to run PC audio through the Zen Stream wired, like via the USB storage input?

Chain is Tidal > Zen Stream > Iris via USB > Pontus via I2S > Lokius > Amps

The ZS is great for the streaming aspect but I'm wondering if there's a way for me to hear my PC through the chain.

Jun 18, 2022 at 4:53 AM Post #4,257 of 5,863
Is there any solution to run PC audio through the Zen Stream wired, like via the USB storage input?

The ZS is great for the streaming aspect but I'm wondering if there's a way for me to hear my PC through the chain.
No way to connect a PC straight to your Streamer. Simply run a USB cable to your DAC for that.

Jun 18, 2022 at 6:43 AM Post #4,258 of 5,863
No I did not forget, I opted to not review the unit as I just did not care for the sound, especially after I was told that it was The Wiim unit revealing the "harshness" of my speakers and setup. Even though I felt I heard this on 8 separate and distinctly different speakers sets and all but one of my current headphones and IEM's.

Originally I got the Wiim in hopes of dropping services and using Amazon HD, sadly that update never came in April, and also finding that even though I set the streaming option to 24/192 it seemed to be giving me only 24/96 on Qobuz.

Also the lack of any desktop app or an update to Wiim POD on MAC ( Non Functional), also to be fair it does say may not work on MAC. After discussing this with support I chose not to do anything with it.

I have no desire to be really harsh on new products, and perhaps I will revisit the unit at a later date. To those who have it and love it, I again wish to point you to starting your own thread and explaining the benefits in an appropriate thread, doing that can only help those who are searching for an alternative.

Cheers!!
Just to let you know, there’s a new update where you can cast amazon UHD on its apps as well as on its native apps. All for little price. I don’t know why you say harsh audio science review measure it well using toslink and it gave then sinand at very high level. If measured was cleaned, why you say it’s harsh?

Jun 18, 2022 at 6:48 AM Post #4,259 of 5,863
No way to connect a PC straight to your Streamer. Simply run a USB cable to your DAC for that.
Thanks, I guess in my case I would run the ZS straight through the DAC and the PC through the DDC. Appreciate it!

Jun 18, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #4,260 of 5,863
@Barone Birra I asked same question very recently if you go back through the thread- I received some excellent responses: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ifi...-a-higher-plane.958391/page-278#post-16963831
Magic cheers @endless402 and thanks Sebastien. I did have a Qutest in a different system a while back, loved that, but tried to do a system with a more modest budget this time, and the Mojo 2 does sound pretty good. Noticeable guessing from memory- maybe is less soundstage. I think there was some work done to properly implement a desktop mode on the Mojo 2. I briefly tried a few different things and as @Sebastien Chiu said- switching off the ZS seemed to stop the Mojo charging and that's enough to drop it out of Desktop mode, which probably then means the Mojo 2 charging on, off etc and could just ruin the battery over time- and/or not even charge it enough in the short term. Think I did notice a tiny bit more harshness running off the mains, but, could just be because the Mojo 2 was running off battery. Have been considering getting an iPower X to power the Mojo 2, but not heard any feedback on that. I did ask about PSUs in the Mojo 2 forum but crickets on that question. iPower X for ZS and for BT modem/ethernet switch/router are on the list first though.... but maybe iPower X 5v for the Mojo 2 should be higher on the list than a 12V for the modem/router/ethernet switch....:thinking::thinking:

No worries! Thank you!

@sabloke here is correct :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back