iFi audio ZEN Stream - Streaming elevated to a higher plane
Apr 19, 2022 at 8:54 AM Post #4,052 of 5,863
Has anyone else experienced a small speed-up in a song being streamed on Tidal Connect with their ZS? It’s like the song is fast-forwarding for about a half a second and then it’s back to normal. This happens randomly now. It just started happening happening as of about a week ago. I wonder if it’s a WiFi issue, like there isn’t enough buffer and then it catches up. Nothing has changed with my internet or headphone setup recently.
I think I have solved my issue. I updated the Tidal App on my iPhone and haven't experienced the problem since. I assumed apps updated automatically, but it appears I was mistaken. Anyway, the good news is it seems to have done the trick. I guess I will periodically check for updates moving forward.

Apr 19, 2022 at 9:17 AM Post #4,053 of 5,863
I think I have solved my issue. I updated the Tidal App on my iPhone and haven't experienced the problem since. I assumed apps updated automatically, but it appears I was mistaken. Anyway, the good news is it seems to have done the trick. I guess I will periodically check for updates moving forward.
I cannot tell you how many times updating the Tidal app has solved problems. Glad things worked out for you!

Apr 19, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #4,054 of 5,863
SPDIF works juts fine but need to discover where is my usb signal to my DAC)...it was lost somewhere. Mode 2.

1650303812494.png

but it is available in mode 1

1650304991638.png1650305135041.png

and it turns back to SPDIF only when you switch it to mode 2.

So there is no USB signal in mode 2. It exists in mode 1 only.

It looks like the same issue was in beta version.

This is very true. Since the Roon Ready upgrade, Roon only works for the ZS with S/PDIF connections. I previously detailed the other persisting bugs earlier in this thread. But none of them affect performance when on AIO mode.

I only have SPDIF in mode 2, but USB again in mode 1. It sounds to fall in love with in mode 1 USB.
I hope this will be implemented for mode 2.
The wait was worth it for me now roon essentials works fantastically.
Thanks to all of you and to IFI...
Kai

Aaaaannd…they went ahead and upgraded the 2.31.7 to production release without fixing the issues. USB still not working in Roon Exclusive mode, there is still a runtime bug in the DSD settings where both the selections 512 and “error” persist, and it’s still offering 5.1 and 7.1 channel layouts despite the fact that the ZS doesn’t support this.

But as I’ve mentioned previously, if you keep the device in AIO mode and select “256” for the max DSD sampling rate, everything is working fine.

Would not be surprised if his upgrade was a snafu on ifi’s part; they’ve released production releases still in beta by mistake before. We’ll surely see…

I have forwarded the feedback and bug reports on these SPDIF/USB issues to our development team - hopefully, they will be fixed soon!

can ifi zen stream read ntfs 4tb hard drive?

Yes, it should be able to.

The problem with usb in mode 2 is solved:

1. Click "DEVICE INFO" and go to "Configure device"

1650354202297.png

then just choose the output source you need, DONE!

1650354302732.png

I didn’t know that “Device info” was clickable! I feel ridiculous, but grateful! 🙏

Don't blame yourself, blame the application's user interface.

Thanks, y'all - appreciate you helping each other out here.

Sound quality unreal in Roon mode via USB... This little thing is a gem!

Thank you so much!

I cannot tell you how many times updating the Tidal app has solved problems. Glad things worked out for you!

Glad to hear updating the Tidal app fixed what you were experiencing - it's always our first recommendation/course of action!

Apr 19, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #4,055 of 5,863
I have forwarded the feedback and bug reports on these SPDIF/USB issues to our development team - hopefully, they will be fixed soon!

Yes, it should be able to.

Thanks, y'all - appreciate you helping each other out here.

Thank you so much!

Glad to hear updating the Tidal app fixed what you were experiencing - it's always our first recommendation/course of action!
Sebastian, I’m thrilled that a peer here helped me figure out the solution you guys came up with, and although I think some folks are disappointed that they can’t run both the USB and S/PDIF outputs concurrently, I’m pretty thrilled with how my ZS is integrating with Roon now.

Is there any forum where you guys offer release notes and instructions for the ZS so we can get a heads up and have more guidance on how to keep up with these changes? I’ve spent a serious amount of time troubleshooting your latest firmware on multiple forums, that could have been avoided with a simple explanation—you guys have made major changes to the ZS of late, and they haven’t been intuitive. I own a lot of your gear, and this device is the only one that doesn’t have firmware and instructions to access on your website. Thanks!

Apr 19, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #4,056 of 5,863
I guess it’s time Ifi updates the manuals for the Zen stream now that the meaning of the led colors have changed… And they could add a paragraph about how to change the output settings while in Roon exclusive mode…

Roon ready in Roon exclusive mode does work pretty flawless on usb now, so I’m happy. Sound quality is awesome in combination with my mojo2. 👍🏼

Apr 20, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #4,058 of 5,863
can anyone explain the meaning of led colors with MQA passthrough and the latest firmware? thanks :)
YELLOW PCM 44/48
WHITE PCM 88/96/176/192/352/384
CYAN DSD 64/128
RED DSD 256
GREEN MQA
BLUE MQA Studio
MAGENTA MQB/OFS

Is that what you were asking?

Apr 20, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #4,059 of 5,863
With some apprehension, I updated my ZEN Stream to v2.31.7 this morning. As the public documentation has not been updated, I'm glad that I made a copy of the release notes, including the new LED colors legend:

Roon Ready certified, added MQA authenticator, optimised USB DAC hotplug detection, added system Auto Update switch, optimised ssl verification of internet radio, changed Format/Freq LED colors so as to be compliant with MQA's UI indication: Yellow 44/48kHz, White 88/96/176/192/352/384kHz, Cyan DSD64/128, Red DSD256, Green MQA, Blue MQA Studio, Magenta Original Sample Rate(OFS).

Thanks to feedback in this group, I had no problems finding the option to configure output while the ZEN Stream is in Mode 2. Just click on "DEVICE INFO" from the Audio tab of Roon's settings:

Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 8.38.43 AM.png

I'm a little sad that there's now a web server running on the device in the background in Mode 2. This was not the case with the previous firmware, but I suppose if it's not doing anything, it won't keep the CPU busy.

Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 8.40.46 AM.png

As others have pointed out, I did have to manually set the Max sample rate for DSD to DSD256, but I imagine @iFi audio will fix this in a future update. That or (better), get the ZEN Stream to support DSD512 and PCM 768 kHz. :)

Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 8.42.50 AM.png

So far, things seem to be working well. My only minor disappointment is that the signal path in Roon is still incomplete when streaming MQA. The ZEN Stream shows nothing past "RAAT" in the signal path while my VitOS for RPi 4 endpoints show downstream MQA processing, including MQA Rendering.

Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 8.47.30 AM.png

I was hoping that by implementing Roon Labs' SDK, this functionality would somehow be added, but perhaps a new Kernel or driver is required to make this work.

My summary is that the ZEN Stream was already, in my view, the most recommendable output device for Roon, and it's even more so with this update. Really, after the DSD512 thing is fixed, I'll be able to recommend the ZEN Stream to all of my non-technical Roon Subscribers. I've already been recommending it without reservation otherwise. Congrats!

Update: CPU Usage seems to be well-managed. I'm streaming a 32-bit, 352.8 kHz DXD recording now, and CPU usage by Roon is staying under 10%.

Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 8.54.16 AM.png

CPU Usage when playing Redbook content is around 2%, which is great.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 6:03 AM Post #4,060 of 5,863
Listening to some smooth jazz on tidal hifi, via roon (ZS, Hugo2, iFi iCan pro, Focal Stellia). Shuffling between Usb and SPDIF on the ZS (see iFi web ui screen). Roon DSP set to maximum OS, for both (DSD64 for SPDIF, DSD128 for Usb). It seems to me that SPDIF option sounds smoother and more refined.
Using ROON TIDAL HIFI with roon oversampling. See above.
ZS is connected via ethernet cable to a node in my mesh network.

When streaming via SPDIF (DSD64) the processing speed is much higher than streaming via USB (DSD128). I get frequent audio disconnections via SPDIF, seems like network issues, even when setting the ZS audio buffer to 64mb and the initial buffer to 50%. Also rebooted and optimized my tplink m5 mesh network.
Streming via USB is flawless, even though the bandwidth is higher.

I prefer SPDIF.
What can I do to overcome those frequent hic-ups?

Thanks

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #4,061 of 5,863

When streaming via SPDIF (DSD64) the processing speed is much higher than streaming via USB (DSD128). I get frequent audio disconnections via SPDIF, seems like network issues, even when setting the ZS audio buffer to 64mb and the initial buffer to 50%. Also rebooted and optimized my tplink m5 mesh network.

I prefer SPDIF.

Thanks
I had similar problem in normal HIFI Tidal connected by coaxial.
After 2/3 minutes the digital coaxial turn of.
The problem was only in ethernet cable connection.
In WIFI i have no problem, play all day long without disconect.

Apr 21, 2022 at 10:13 AM Post #4,062 of 5,863

I prefer SPDIF.

Thanks
I recall having similar problems too, but switching to a different COAX S/PDIF cable solved the issue. Which cable are you using? I've had good luck with this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00287BNKE/

Apr 22, 2022 at 12:06 AM Post #4,064 of 5,863
Nice update

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back