iFi audio ZEN CAN Signature 6XX / ZEN DAC Signature now sold by iFi !!!
Jul 22, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #106 of 392
That's reserved for the Drop machine. Whether it'll happen in a non-Drop product, as above it's too early
Another question then... :wink:
Can I use the ZEN CAN Signature 6XX as "a buffer"? Let me explain:
Connect it between my DAC and my existing headphone amp.
My existing DAC --> RCA input on ZEN CAN Signature 6XX --> ZEN CAN's balanced out to RCA cable --> my headphone amp.

That way, I use the HD6XX and XSpace effects with my existing gear... (completely bypassing the ZEN CAN Signature 6XX amp section).
I am assuming the balanced out on the back is 4.4mm and is NOT pre-amp but rather fixed line level?
@iFi audio - would that work?

Jul 23, 2020 at 6:35 AM Post #107 of 392
Another question then... :wink:
My existing DAC --> RCA input on ZEN CAN Signature 6XX --> ZEN CAN's balanced out to RCA cable --> my headphone amp.

That way, I use the HD6XX and XSpace effects with my existing gear... (completely bypassing the ZEN CAN Signature 6XX amp section).
I am assuming the balanced out on the back is 4.4mm and is NOT pre-amp but rather fixed line level?
out of curiosity, what is the name of the amp that you rather want to use than the built in amp of the ZEN CAN?

Jul 23, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #108 of 392
I'm wondering how well this would match with "650 likes" cans like my original Audeze LCD-2 with no fazer.

Jul 23, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #109 of 392
The Audeze LCD power requirements are totally different from and unrelated to HD 650s.

Jul 23, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #110 of 392
out of curiosity, what is the name of the amp that you rather want to use than the built in amp of the ZEN CAN?

SEN CAN, obviously :)

But I think ifi got the title pretty close :D

Jul 23, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #112 of 392
I have a couple custom-built tube amps. I want to add to my chain the 3D (XSpace) and bass-boost (6XX) effects, but use my higher-end amps!

Jul 23, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #113 of 392
Is the technology that adjusts the spectrum to optimize outputs according to 6xx implemented in firmware? If so, how about reading all the spectrum analyzing parameters from a SD card so that the ZEN amp may be configurable with other headphone signatures as well?
ZEN CAN is an analog device.

Jul 24, 2020 at 4:23 AM Post #117 of 392

Would have to double-check, but in 99% I'm certain it wouldn't.
@iFi audio - do you have a definite conclusion?
Should be easy to test:
1. Connect DAC out to ZEN CAN Signature 6XX RCA inputs.
2. Connect ZEN CAN Signature 6XX balanced out to a different amp.
Now see if changing XSpace and 6XX would affect the sound through the 2nd amp...

Jul 24, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #118 of 392
I didn't realise that the Drop ended so soon, otherwise I would have tried to do a review earlier.

My impression of the amp so far is, using the matching iFi DAC via a balanced connection is that the amp (with the HD6XX and 3D settings off) is similar in performance to the Magni 3+ I have here. With the HD6XX setting on, as per what iFi posted, it fills out the bass a bit with the HD6XX, and adds a very tiny bit of treble. Noting here that the one I have is likely pre-production, I just went to power it on again, and it wouldn't power on at all. I measured the output of the iPower included, which was fine, but then the iPower died too, and the amp wouldn't work with an alternate 5V 3A power supply, so I wont be able to do a detailed review.

I'll try and review the DAC if I can.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #119 of 392
I didn't realise that the Drop ended so soon, otherwise I would have tried to do a review earlier.

My impression of the amp so far is, using the matching iFi DAC via a balanced connection is that the amp (with the HD6XX and 3D settings off) is similar in performance to the Magni 3+ I have here. With the HD6XX setting on, as per what iFi posted, it fills out the bass a bit with the HD6XX, and adds a very tiny bit of treble. Noting here that the one I have is likely pre-production, I just went to power it on again, and it wouldn't power on at all. I measured the output of the iPower included, which was fine, but then the iPower died too, and the amp wouldn't work with an alternate 5V 3A power supply, so I wont be able to do a detailed review.

I'll try and review the DAC if I can.
Were you using the correct iPower. Zen CAN requires 9 Volts I believe.

Jul 24, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #120 of 392
Amazing! I can't wait to hear your thoughts comparing it to the rest of the iFi line-up. Specifically, the micro BL since I have it, but good to know how it stacks up against the whole line-up.

Hi Mblain!
I've gotten some initial thoughts jotted-down about the Zen Can Sig., so I thought I'd share them for anyone who is looking for real-world experiences with it.
Also, I got another factor added: Now burning-in some HD-6xx that just arrived today so I can compare them to my HD-650 on the Zen Can Sig.
HD squared.jpg

Do I think the amp has plenty of power, including specifically for 300ohm? Yes.
Do I think the Zen CAN Sig. is quiet enough for sensitive iems? Yes (With my Thieaudio Legacy 3 iems both 0db and 6db settings I hear a dead silent noise floor, and I feel that the 0db setting was plenty powerful enough for them, with 6db maxing-out my loudest listening threshold by 12 o'clock on the volume.)
With my original 6yr old HD650, the straight performance was comparable to my THX SP200 or iFi iDSD Black Label on single-ended power, and superior to my Cavalli LCX +SDAC when no iFi "enhancements" were enabled. However, when I turned on the "HD6xx" and "3D" features the HD650 felt "corrected".

Yes, my original iDSD and Black Label have "X-boost", and "3D" enhancements as well, but they don't sound purpose-built to my HD-650 like the Zen CAN Sig.'s enhancements sound to me. The soundstage seems to spread "dynamically" & appropriate to what is being played, which I can't reproduce manually with a single EQ on any other amp. (That's including my Schiit Audio Asgard II, iFi xCAN, or iCAN Micro as well.) The bass feels a bit more authoritative, yet also crisp with sharp attacks, and not bloated or smeared-sounding on the decay. The treble opens up a tiny bit without becoming harsh, sibilant, or "shouty" to me, and the midrange feels both wider and "fuller" without feeling busy or compressed.

So do I have other amps that power my HD650 well? Yes. Do some cost more while others cost less? Yes. Do ANY of the others seemingly "fix" my HD650's sound signature to be more to my liking with the touch of a button? No. Does this amp increase the versatility of my HD650s for me to truly enjoy more types of music with them? Definitely. My HD650s are more "all-rounders" with the Zen CAN Signature.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back