iFi audio xDSD- The Official Thread
Apr 5, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #2,296 of 2,505
Just got my xDSD after returning the hip dac (great device for the price, but not good enough for my Campfire Audio Dorado 2020).

however, @Sebastien Chiu , I would love if you could clarify some questions I've got:

1) I hear an ever so slight, barely audible hiss.I know I could solve it with the iematch+, however there are a few reasons I'd rather not get one (added dongle, increased battery drain since I'd be listening at higher output power). Is a very slight hiss detrimental in any real way to the music? Should it be acceptable since one can only notice it when no music is playing, or is it really "eating" into the dynamic range? In short, would there be any real advantage in getting it for the Dorado 2020, or am I set and enjoying the full sound quality the xdsd has to offer without it and with a very slight hiss?

2) bluetooth - though I'd have loved LDAC, there's one thing that drives me crazy about the implementation - since I truly LOVE how the xDSD sounds, even on bt, WHY OH WHY, DEAR IFI, did you NOT let it handle calls, by accepting an in-line mic cable and/or onboard mic? At the very least let it pick up the call and conversation? This is a huge dent in it's portable use. I can't even hear the phone's ringtone, the only way I can tell the phone is calling is that the music pauses.

Apr 5, 2021 at 11:04 PM Post #2,297 of 2,505
Just got my xDSD after returning the hip dac (great device for the price, but not good enough for my Campfire Audio Dorado 2020).

however, @Sebastien Chiu , I would love if you could clarify some questions I've got:

1) I hear an ever so slight, barely audible hiss.I know I could solve it with the iematch+, however there are a few reasons I'd rather not get one (added dongle, increased battery drain since I'd be listening at higher output power). Is a very slight hiss detrimental in any real way to the music? Should it be acceptable since one can only notice it when no music is playing, or is it really "eating" into the dynamic range? In short, would there be any real advantage in getting it for the Dorado 2020, or am I set and enjoying the full sound quality the xdsd has to offer without it and with a very slight hiss?

2) bluetooth - though I'd have loved LDAC, there's one thing that drives me crazy about the implementation - since I truly LOVE how the xDSD sounds, even on bt, WHY OH WHY, DEAR IFI, did you NOT let it handle calls, by accepting an in-line mic cable and/or onboard mic? At the very least let it pick up the call and conversation? This is a huge dent in it's portable use. I can't even hear the phone's ringtone, the only way I can tell the phone is calling is that the music pauses.

Hi @BenKatz!

I will let @iFi audio (Rob) comment on this as well, but here are my off-the-top responses to your two questions.

1) The slight, barely audible hiss is common with Campfire earphones as they are very sensitive, and the only real advantage of getting IEMatch+ is for that black background. There are no real advantages to getting it for the Dorado 2020 outside of removing the very slight hiss, you're already enjoying the full sound quality the xDSD has to offer!

Think of IEMatch as simply what it is - In Ear Monitor Match - there's nothing special it does outside of what it does, but what it does is its specialty (if that makes sense)!

2) Most devices in this truly portable range use a dedicated "system on chip" that is an all-in one solution. This generally contains the dac, amp, and ability to handle calls/microphone all happening in the same place.

Here at iFi, we generally always try to provide as full of an analog experience as possible. The xDSD does that with a 'best of both worlds scenario' - a fully analog system under digital control. The Bluetooth is all built in-house, based on AMR' Stereo 50 - it has several unique features that are also reasons as to why it does not accept calls, including its synchronization to AMR's GMT clock system.

All of these combined allow the resolution of the experience to be maintained throughout.

Hope that helps - happy to answer any follow up questions you may have.

Apr 6, 2021 at 2:17 AM Post #2,298 of 2,505
Hi @BenKatz!

I will let @iFi audio (Rob) comment on this as well, but here are my off-the-top responses to your two questions.

1) The slight, barely audible hiss is common with Campfire earphones as they are very sensitive, and the only real advantage of getting IEMatch+ is for that black background. There are no real advantages to getting it for the Dorado 2020 outside of removing the very slight hiss, you're already enjoying the full sound quality the xDSD has to offer!

Think of IEMatch as simply what it is - In Ear Monitor Match - there's nothing special it does outside of what it does, but what it does is its specialty (if that makes sense)!

2) Most devices in this truly portable range use a dedicated "system on chip" that is an all-in one solution. This generally contains the dac, amp, and ability to handle calls/microphone all happening in the same place.

Here at iFi, we generally always try to provide as full of an analog experience as possible. The xDSD does that with a 'best of both worlds scenario' - a fully analog system under digital control. The Bluetooth is all built in-house, based on AMR' Stereo 50 - it has several unique features that are also reasons as to why it does not accept calls, including its synchronization to AMR's GMT clock system.

All of these combined allow the resolution of the experience to be maintained throughout.

Understood - but does that mean that there is no way to also create a "separate" bt section that can handle calls? I'm asking for future products - would that not be a possibility? You do realise that having a product like the xDSD, which has portability in it's DNA, that is ALSO able to handle calls (another nice addition would be play/pause/next/previous buttons) would be more-or-less the prefect device of it's category - since at the end of the day, the VAST majority of audio-enthusiasts and audiophiles pair it to their smartphone.

Apr 6, 2021 at 2:49 AM Post #2,299 of 2,505
Hi @BenKatz!

I just realized on of my other devices, that I use on the go and in the car, the Qudelix 5K (a small dongle sized usb/LDAC bt amp/dac with call handling and integrated mic) appears as 2 separate connections, at least when connecting it to the PC.

Maybe that would be a solution? Using 2 bt chips, one your own for music listening and another SoC (like a qualcomm) one purely for call-handling? And an ability for the device to automatically switch to the soc one when a call is incoming or being made?

I realize I'm 100% talking outta my ass right now :)) IDK the first thing about how to build such a device. Thing is, in the last few years I've been through a multitide of portable DACs, both for on the go and desktop use, and always tried to find a "swiss army knife" since I like consistency in my sound (not having to switch sources and as a result sound signature when switching from working on my pc to going out/biking/gym), and these have been Audioquests (red and cobalt) Fiios (too many to mention), the Qudelix and even the hip-dac - and when I finally got your xDSD it was quite a revelation - this thing sounds AMAZING - (but i gotta admit the 3d and xbass options are clear minuses, at least for my headphones, 3d takes out a lot of width and adds a bit of height, whereas the dorado 2020 is already a bassy iem, so xbass is detrimental).

Not only does it sound great, everything from the functionality and design is absolutely amazing - even the fact that it smudges isn't a minus - it gives it a camouflage/chameleon look. I like it so much I'd love to take it everywhere - unfortunately its kind of a pain in the ass when using it with sports activities, particularly biking, since whenever I get a call I have to take the jack out of the xDSD and put it in my Xperia in order to speak.

Apr 8, 2021 at 1:13 AM Post #2,300 of 2,505
Hi iFi,

Regarding balanced output on the xDSD (which I have proudly owned for a few years now!):

1) Is S-Balance THE same as balanced? Meaning if I use a balanced cable, will it ACTUALLY output a TRUE balanced sound?

2) If I get a balanced cable like this one with a 4.4mm termination, how could I use it on the xDSD? I'm guessing I would need a balanced adapter like this as well, right?

3) If yes for both parts of #1, what is your opinion of balanced vs. unbalanced sound? Is it noticeably better than unbalanced??

Thanks in advance!

Apr 8, 2021 at 4:43 AM Post #2,301 of 2,505
Hi iFi,

Regarding balanced output on the xDSD (which I have proudly owned for a few years now!):

1) Is S-Balance THE same as balanced? Meaning if I use a balanced cable, will it ACTUALLY output a TRUE balanced sound?

2) If I get a balanced cable like this one with a 4.4mm termination, how could I use it on the xDSD? I'm guessing I would need a balanced adapter like this as well, right?

3) If yes for both parts of #1, what is your opinion of balanced vs. unbalanced sound? Is it noticeably better than unbalanced??

Thanks in advance!
That adapter no good, it is not balanced, you need one with a 4 pole 3.5mm plug. I have picked up a couple of no-name adapter cables from eBay, and also a Geekria Apollo adapter plug from Amazon. The plug sounds slightly better to me, but I don't use it much because it feels like it might break something.

You need an adapter wired (tip)L+/R+/L-/R-(sleeve), on the male end.

You don't get more power with the balanced output of the xDSD, as you do with some amps, but you do get separate ground path for left and right.The sound does seem clearer to me, but I can't be 100% sure, because I don't have the same cables in balanced and unbalanced.

By the way, the NewFantasia cables (called Ablet on Amazon UK), do sound good, but they are stiff and microphonic, OK for home use, unusable for walking around with.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2021 at 5:26 AM Post #2,302 of 2,505

Yes. This is a dual-mono headphone amplifier section with S-Balanced 3.5mm TRRS/TRS connection. This special headphone circuit is of most benefit to 'Balanced' headphones, but it also elevates the performance of 'non-balanced' headphones. In short, this headphone out will handle both TRS and TRRS 3.5mm jacks, but TRRS jacks will fully benefit from it.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 8, 2021 at 7:05 AM Post #2,303 of 2,505
For the last week and a half, I have had to re-pair the xDSD with my phone EVERY TIME I go from USB to bluetooth. Every single time. It only takes a few seconds, yes, but it's becoming a severe headache. It says it's connected, the input light is lit up, and strangely enough if I power it down while music is playing, it actually plays music for a moment before it turns off. I turn it off, and on, and off, and on again. I cycle from wired to bluetooth repeatedly. Plug it into power. Unplug it. Reboot the phone. Nothing.

Literally every single time I've wanted to go bluetooth I've had to unpair and re-pair. I'm trying not to get overly annoyed with this, but compared to any device I've ever had up to now, this is really unusual, let's say. Is there a "hardware reset" I can do? Something to totally clear the internal memory?

Apr 8, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #2,304 of 2,505
For the last week and a half, I have had to re-pair the xDSD with my phone EVERY TIME I go from USB to bluetooth. Every single time. It only takes a few seconds, yes, but it's becoming a severe headache. It says it's connected, the input light is lit up, and strangely enough if I power it down while music is playing, it actually plays music for a moment before it turns off. I turn it off, and on, and off, and on again. I cycle from wired to bluetooth repeatedly. Plug it into power. Unplug it. Reboot the phone. Nothing.

Literally every single time I've wanted to go bluetooth I've had to unpair and re-pair. I'm trying not to get overly annoyed with this, but compared to any device I've ever had up to now, this is really unusual, let's say. Is there a "hardware reset" I can do? Something to totally clear the internal memory?

Sorry to hear this is happening!

I'm checking in on a way to hard reset it, but you can soft reset it by draining completely the battery and re-charging it.

Apr 8, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #2,305 of 2,505
Sorry to hear this is happening!

I'm checking in on a way to hard reset it, but you can soft reset it by draining completely the battery and re-charging it.
I'll give that a shot! If there's no other way I'll just let it drain and see what happens. I wonder if it's just blipping a bit because it's been paired with a handful of times. Like I said, it's a 10 second annoyance so it's not like it's any kind of huge deal, just a bit of a niggle.

Side note, is the USB cable something I can buy separately? Specifically a shorter one? I use it at my desktop and the distance is pretty small, so having a tighter cable might be good.

Apr 8, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #2,306 of 2,505
I'll give that a shot! If there's no other way I'll just let it drain and see what happens. I wonder if it's just blipping a bit because it's been paired with a handful of times. Like I said, it's a 10 second annoyance so it's not like it's any kind of huge deal, just a bit of a niggle.

Side note, is the USB cable something I can buy separately? Specifically a shorter one? I use it at my desktop and the distance is pretty small, so having a tighter cable might be good.

Do you have a USB C port? I would recommend picking up our USB C to OTG cable: https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Androi...rds=ifi+usb+to+c+to+otg&qid=1617905553&sr=8-3

Either than that, pretty much any USB to OTG cable will work.

Apr 8, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #2,307 of 2,505
Do you have a USB C port? I would recommend picking up our USB C to OTG cable: https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Androi...rds=ifi+usb+to+c+to+otg&qid=1617905553&sr=8-3

Either than that, pretty much any USB to OTG cable will work.

Hey Sebastien - I've been having the same issue, I've had to re-pair the xDSD with my smartphone and PC a couple of times already the past few days - first time it would connect, but no sound would play, second time it simply wouldn't connect.

Is there any way you guys can fix it? Can you maybe make a fix through a new firmware or something? The latest and only firmware I could find is the one with the GTA filter.

To be clear - PC is using Windows 10, smartphone is latest Android. Both are aptx connections.

Apr 8, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #2,308 of 2,505
Hey Sebastien - I've been having the same issue, I've had to re-pair the xDSD with my smartphone and PC a couple of times already the past few days - first time it would connect, but no sound would play, second time it simply wouldn't connect.

Is there any way you guys can fix it? Can you maybe make a fix through a new firmware or something? The latest and only firmware I could find is the one with the GTA filter.

To be clear - PC is using Windows 10, smartphone is latest Android. Both are aptx connections.

I'll check in on this with the team and see if there are any more permanent solutions for you we have guys!

Apr 8, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #2,309 of 2,505
That adapter no good, it is not balanced, you need one with a 4 pole 3.5mm plug. I have picked up a couple of no-name adapter cables from eBay, and also a Geekria Apollo adapter plug from Amazon. The plug sounds slightly better to me, but I don't use it much because it feels like it might break something.

You need an adapter wired (tip)L+/R+/L-/R-(sleeve), on the male end.

You don't get more power with the balanced output of the xDSD, as you do with some amps, but you do get separate ground path for left and right.The sound does seem clearer to me, but I can't be 100% sure, because I don't have the same cables in balanced and unbalanced.

By the way, the NewFantasia cables (called Ablet on Amazon UK), do sound good, but they are stiff and microphonic, OK for home use, unusable for walking around with.
Ok thx!

Apr 8, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #2,310 of 2,505
I feel like I had a similar connection issue with my xDSD a couple years ago. Someone I think in here maybe or else your customer service phone line told me how to hard reset it. I def didn't let the battery drain and try to reset. But whatever they told me to do I remember worked like a charm.

Maybe check the manual as it may be in there. Or else just wait for Sebastien to get back to you guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back