iFi audio xDSD- The Official Thread
Feb 22, 2020 at 5:46 AM Post #1,982 of 2,505
Try in this connection a short (0.5 meter or 1.0 meter) extension USB 3.0 flat cable from Ugreen. I use a similar one to connect the iFi HIP DAC to my PC.

Attachments

• B.jpg
    B.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 0
Feb 23, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #1,983 of 2,505
You could actually connect the OTG USB Type C cable to the blue USB cable that is supplied together with the xDSD. I use this setup to amp up my car stereo and it works perfectly.

I'm just looking to buy another cable like the blue one , the extension USB 3 cable , but cables I bought from Amazon are not working with my phone , only the original ifi one that came in the box

Mar 13, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #1,985 of 2,505
Has anyone compared the fiio btr5 with these? Which are better for the price?
PRICE: I had the FiiO BTR5, which now due to supply & demand, is going for anywhere from $159 to $199 after an original price around $100 (I got mine for $119 w/ same-day shipping, saw listings from $99 to $129).

SIZE: They are different form factors, with the BTR5 essentially the size of a typical dongle, while the xDSD is 60% the size of a normal smartphone and about 75% thicker. If you NEED the smaller form factor, the BTR5 is the way to go.

WIRELESS: If you NEED aptX HD & LDAC, BTR5 again is your choice. It also has BT 5.0, a mic for calls, and can pair to 2 devices simultaneously. The xDSD tops out at aptX and does not have a mic. If you're primarily using Spotify, then traditional aptX which the xDSD has, is sufficient.

CONNECTION: BTR5 has both 3.5mm unbalanced & 2.5mm balanced, while the xDSD has a single 3.5mm that can handle both balanced and unbalanced. S-Balanced Tech seems interesting, as it separates the ground from a single-ended unbalanced connection. Theoretically, the xDSD will give you better performance with a single-ended 3.5mm unbalanced connection. So far, my experience has been very positive. There is clearly more power to drive with the xDSD, resulting in improved dynamics.

APP: The BTR5 has an App, but it's only average at best. It's nothing like the App that comes with the Radsone ES100, which is stellar. xDSD doesn't have an App.

SOUND: SQ wise, I give the nod to the xDSD. For me, I prefer the Burr-Brown DAC used in the xDSD over the EES SABRE (ES9218P) in the BTR5. The overall soundscape just feels more lush, and while the BTR5 is very clean/clear, I get the impression it's "missing" something. Don't get me wrong, the BTR5 still sounds great, but I can appreciate the sound, especially vocals, more with the xDSD. The xDSD also does a better job playing with full-sized headphones, giving me an overall more immersive experience vs. the BTR5.

If you don't need the mic and super-mobility, as long as money is not a hindrance, I personally like the xDSD more when it comes to pure audio enjoyment.

Mar 13, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #1,986 of 2,505
PRICE: I had the FiiO BTR5, which now due to supply & demand, is going for anywhere from $159 to $199 after an original price around $100 (I got mine for $119 w/ same-day shipping, saw listings from $99 to $129).

SIZE: They are different form factors, with the BTR5 essentially the size of a typical dongle, while the xDSD is 60% the size of a normal smartphone and about 75% thicker. If you NEED the smaller form factor, the BTR5 is the way to go.

WIRELESS: If you NEED aptX HD & LDAC, BTR5 again is your choice. It also has BT 5.0, a mic for calls, and can pair to 2 devices simultaneously. The xDSD tops out at aptX and does not have a mic. If you're primarily using Spotify, then traditional aptX which the xDSD has, is sufficient.

CONNECTION: BTR5 has both 3.5mm unbalanced & 2.5mm balanced, while the xDSD has a single 3.5mm that can handle both balanced and unbalanced. S-Balanced Tech seems interesting, as it separates the ground from a single-ended unbalanced connection. Theoretically, the xDSD will give you better performance with a single-ended 3.5mm unbalanced connection. So far, my experience has been very positive. There is clearly more power to drive with the xDSD, resulting in improved dynamics.

APP: The BTR5 has an App, but it's only average at best. It's nothing like the App that comes with the Radsone ES100, which is stellar. xDSD doesn't have an App.

SOUND: SQ wise, I give the nod to the xDSD. For me, I prefer the Burr-Brown DAC used in the xDSD over the EES SABRE (ES9218P) in the BTR5. The overall soundscape just feels more lush, and while the BTR5 is very clean/clear, I get the impression it's "missing" something. Don't get me wrong, the BTR5 still sounds great, but I can appreciate the sound, especially vocals, more with the xDSD. The xDSD also does a better job playing with full-sized headphones, giving me an overall more immersive experience vs. the BTR5.

If you don't need the mic and super-mobility, as long as money is not a hindrance, I personally like the xDSD more when it comes to pure audio enjoyment.
I own both And use them for different things at different times, but I completely agree with your assessment. I also have a Mojo and a Monolith portable THX DAC/Amp.

Mar 14, 2020 at 7:22 AM Post #1,987 of 2,505
Guys, I asked multiple times and no good answer , I connect my xDSD to my Android phone , using the blue USB cable that came in the box and than a USB c otg cable , I tried to find a replacement USB cable like the blue extension that came in the box with xDSD but none work, I ordered some quality ones but none actually work.

Anyone tried a different USB extension cable ?

Mar 14, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #1,988 of 2,505
Guys, I asked multiple times and no good answer , I connect my xDSD to my Android phone , using the blue USB cable that came in the box and than a USB c otg cable , I tried to find a replacement USB cable like the blue extension that came in the box with xDSD but none work, I ordered some quality ones but none actually work.

Anyone tried a different USB extension cable ?
Shouldn't be an issue. I've used severally different cables to connect xdsd to Android device. What phone are you using? The issue may be in the phone settings, not the cables you are trying to use.

Mar 14, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #1,990 of 2,505

Thanks!

:beerchug:

Great guide! Out of curiosity, which cans/IEMs you use with your portable devices?

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Mar 15, 2020 at 2:15 AM Post #1,991 of 2,505
Thanks!

:beerchug:

Great guide! Out of curiosity, which cans/IEMs you use with your portable devices?
I use quite a few, mostly in my office, where I need some portability, but not complete on-the-go mobility, hence some larger and open-back selections. I'll give you some of my more recent choices:

Sony MDR-Z7M2
Sony MDR-1AM2
Master & Dynamic MH40 (Alcantara)
HIFIMAN HE4XX
Audio-Technica MSR7b
Sennheiser HD 569
beyerdynamic Custom One
beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2020 at 6:31 AM Post #1,992 of 2,505
I use quite a few, mostly in my office, where I need some portability, but not complete on-the-go mobility, hence some larger and open-back selections. I'll give you some of my more recent choices:

Sony MDR-Z7M2
Sony MDR-1AM2
HIFIMAN HE4XX
Audio-Technica MSR7b
Sennheiser HD 569
beyerdynamic Custom One
beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro
I use the xDSD for potable listening and looking to upgreade my cans. Some good choices above. Which ones did you prefer? Thanks.

Mar 26, 2020 at 7:17 AM Post #1,993 of 2,505
Sony MDR-Z7M2
Sony MDR-1AM2
HIFIMAN HE4XX
Audio-Technica MSR7b
Sennheiser HD 569
beyerdynamic Custom One
beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro

Wow, that's a lot of cans! What's your primary? HE4XX?

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Mar 26, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #1,994 of 2,505
Wow, that's a lot of cans! What's your primary? HE4XX?
Primary right now are the Sony MDR-Z7M2 & Audio-Technica MSR7b. Different flavors for different moods. :)

Noise is a factor when using the HE4XX, so typically I use those in the late evening when things have calmed down.

Mar 26, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #1,995 of 2,505
I use the xDSD for potable listening and looking to upgreade my cans. Some good choices above. Which ones did you prefer? Thanks.
For detail and clarity, the Audio-Technica MSR7b. Simply relaxing, Sony MDR-Z7M2. More aggressive sound, beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro.

Really depends the type of music you listen to and what kind of sound signature you enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back