iFi audio xDSD- The Official Thread
Jul 20, 2019 at 5:55 PM Post #1,729 of 2,505
After I had my xDSD (set to headphone mode) unplugged for 2-3 weeks and not see any battery drain, I decided to leave my unit set to Bluetooth unplugged for 2 weeks. As of this post, no loss of charge.

Jul 20, 2019 at 11:12 PM Post #1,730 of 2,505
I wanted to post my recent/updated experience with 5.3c firmware. I previously reported that i would get stuttering with MQA tracks on 5.3c but not 5.3 so I was sticking with the older 5.3 firmware. Well, this weekend I got some stuttering with 5.3, but after restarting the DAC I couldn’t duplicate the problem. So, I decided to try 5.3c again to see if I would experience stuttering in MQA tracks or not. After an hour I had no issues but then I got a repeatable stutter on one song (I could restart the song and it would stutter in the same spot). I restarted the DAC and I could no longer duplicate the issue; the song played without any stutters.

So I decided to stick with 5.3c for a while and see if the problem occurred again. It did, but only once. A reboot of the DAC fixed it.

In summary, I don’t think 5.3c caused any issues that were not already present in 5.3, but with respect to the stuttering issue, with either firmware, a reboot of the DAC (holding the volume button down, etc.,) fixed it.

Edit: I’m back to 5.3. I’m just more confident in the stock Listen (Minimum Phase) and Measure (Linear Phase) filters. The GTO filter is too exotic for me I guess. It’s bad enough we don’t completely know what the proprietary MQA filters do with MQA music, never mind now using that engine for all non-MQA music just with different parameters (if I understand what the GTO filter is doing). Plus, the LED light is now useful again.

Cheers,
Gus

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2019 at 3:19 AM Post #1,732 of 2,505
I have exactly the same problem with the new device. The old one charges but not holding charge as it gets warm and the led lights up during charging. This is a very difficult device in charging alone.

@Joseph Lin @steppenwolf2010 did you get an update from iFi Support about USB-C charging issues?

Any updates on what it is/could be?

Jul 21, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #1,733 of 2,505
Jul 22, 2019 at 5:46 AM Post #1,736 of 2,505
Made some experiments/comparisons yesterday:

- wireless connection: xDSD vs xCAN
- wired connection: xDSD + xCAN (fully balanced) vs micro iDSD BL.

IEM: Earsonics S-EM6 V2 (2.5 mm balanced), Etymotic ER4SR (3.5 mm SE), q-JAYs (3.5 mm TRRS S-balanced)...

66999919_2457808364452468_1072827215009284096_n.jpg

To me the absolute winner (SQ wise) is the micro iDSD BL: more neutral, faster and harder hitting bass.
BUT the combo of xDSD + xCAN was very close though.

My subjective conclusion:
  • xCAN can replace xDSD wirelessly in my scenario but cannot when wired; comparable sound quality + way more power
  • micro iDSD BL can replace both when wired but cannot do it wirelessly
  • ideal situation when you have all 3 for different applications/occasions
  • if not then one of these two + micro iDSD BL
  • xCAN only if there is no need in wired connection (no mqa, no hires files)
  • xDSD only if you are happy with it)

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2019 at 6:13 AM Post #1,738 of 2,505
If micro iDSD BL is more neutral how would you describe xDSD? Too bright? Too warm/dark?
I would describe it as neutral-warmish with a higher level of "musicality" with more intimate and engaging sound whilst the micro BL is more on the reference / analytical side (but not too much and it is not "cold sounding").

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #1,739 of 2,505
Made some experiments/comparisons yesterday:

- wireless connection: xDSD vs xCAN
- wired connection: xDSD + xCAN (fully balanced) vs micro iDSD BL.

IEM: Earsonics S-EM6 V2 (2.5 mm balanced), Etymotic ER4SR (3.5 mm SE), q-JAYs (3.5 mm TRRS S-balanced)...

To me the absolute winner (SQ wise) is the micro iDSD BL: more neutral, faster and harder hitting bass.
BUT the combo of xDSD + xCAN was very close though.

My subjective conclusion:
  • xCAN can replace xDSD wirelessly in my scenario but cannot when wired; comparable sound quality + way more power
  • micro iDSD BL can replace both when wired but cannot do it wirelessly
  • ideal situation when you have all 3 for different applications/occasions
  • if not then one of these two + micro iDSD BL
  • xCAN only if there is no need in wired connection (no mqa, no hires files)
  • xDSD only if you are happy with it)

So...

• xCAN + xDSD's DAC is better than the xDSD alone?
  • xCAN + Other DAC vs. xDSD?
Have you try hooking up the xCAN to Desktop DAC and see how it perform vs the xDSD alone? I plan to do that when I'm sitting at home, If I'm on the go I could just grab the xCAN.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #1,740 of 2,505
  • xCAN + xDSD's DAC is better than the xDSD alone?
In case your cans / IEM need more power to perform.

Did not try any other DAC, but use the xDSD with O2 - very nice sounding pair.

My plan is to switch from the xDSD to xCAN on the go, I need more power to drive my 6BA IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back