iFi audio xDSD- The Official Thread
Feb 8, 2019 at 5:47 AM Post #1,276 of 2,505
Hello..
Sorry about maybe a question which has already been explained in this forum..Only for clarify.. If I connect nvidia shield android TV with attached USB to xdsd than let to charge it with ifi 5V power suply during playback and than connect xdsd with marantz sr 5012 with 3,5mm to rca cable with pure audio settings on marantz.. Should I set the headphone output to line output with 2V or let it in as it is for unbalanced headphones.. Thank You for answer

Feb 8, 2019 at 6:27 AM Post #1,277 of 2,505
Hello..
Sorry about maybe a question which has already been explained in this forum..Only for clarify.. If I connect nvidia shield android TV with attached USB to xdsd than let to charge it with ifi 5V power suply during playback and than connect xdsd with marantz sr 5012 with 3,5mm to rca cable with pure audio settings on marantz.. Should I set the headphone output to line output with 2V or let it in as it is for unbalanced headphones.. Thank You for answer

When connecting to a line in (which seems to be your case), the xDSD must be set to line out mode.

Feb 8, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #1,278 of 2,505
I've just dropped it off at the store I bought it at, and they will wait for their boss to come later to check it out. Sad news is that if I just tried out the demo unit in a much more quiet setting (even as simple as closing the doors of the shop so ambient noise won't come in) then I would have noticed the hiss immediately.

Given how one of the two said they can't hear the hiss, and how the other changed his mind and said they cannot hear it either, I am not hopeful anything will happen. Since they don't have stock either, they can't replace it with another unit immediately, and new stock will need to be flown in first, and they don't know when they will get their next stock.

Since I don't think the shop will accept returns, especially if the boss decides they cannot hear the hiss either, then the only option is for me to either accept the hiss during quiet situations (office setting or home) or get impedance plugs or iematch...

Which if that was the end effect anyway, I should have bought some other cheaper product (like maybe the bl nano with the built in iematch and pair it with a btr3 if I want bluetooth) rather than get the expensive xDSD. To say that I am extremely disappointed is still just an understatement.

I'd still contact iFi Support and send them the unit, I know it's annoying (I too wish they had better quality assurance), but at least they're quite good and will probably fix/replace it.

Feb 8, 2019 at 6:52 AM Post #1,279 of 2,505
I'd still contact iFi Support and send them the unit, I know it's annoying (I too wish they had better quality assurance), but at least they're quite good and will probably fix/replace it.
I might try that if this doesn't pan out well. It is quite a hassle as the shop is the official retailer of iFi here in the Philippines afaik, so I'll need to post it abroad with no assurance of when I'll get the unit back, nor that anything will change. It was reassuring hearing people here say that the hiss is unusual, but when I listened to the demo unit there as well, I heard the hiss as well for my iems (16, 28, 32 ohm) Personal experience says that the item itself hisses on at least 32 ohm and below contrary to anecdotal reports from others. :frowning2: It's a bit unbelievable that the demo unit as well as the unit I had both exhibit the hiss and turn out to have qc issues unless their entire stock was from a bad batch.

As the mind does wonders adapting to things, maybe I'll be able to adjust to having such a hiss if I'm forced to keep it... Or I'll take it as a sign to look for higher impedance phones.

Feb 8, 2019 at 7:45 AM Post #1,280 of 2,505
I might try that if this doesn't pan out well. It is quite a hassle as the shop is the official retailer of iFi here in the Philippines afaik, so I'll need to post it abroad with no assurance of when I'll get the unit back, nor that anything will change. It was reassuring hearing people here say that the hiss is unusual, but when I listened to the demo unit there as well, I heard the hiss as well for my iems (16, 28, 32 ohm) Personal experience says that the item itself hisses on at least 32 ohm and below contrary to anecdotal reports from others. :frowning2: It's a bit unbelievable that the demo unit as well as the unit I had both exhibit the hiss and turn out to have qc issues unless their entire stock was from a bad batch.

As the mind does wonders adapting to things, maybe I'll be able to adjust to having such a hiss if I'm forced to keep it... Or I'll take it as a sign to look for higher impedance phones.

I do understand your concerns and I would not settle on something hissing, in particular at the iFi price point. If posting to iFi is not a practical option, I would honestly return it to the dealer, get my money back and go with something else.

Feb 8, 2019 at 8:44 AM Post #1,281 of 2,505
I do understand your concerns and I would not settle on something hissing, in particular at the iFi price point. If posting to iFi is not a practical option, I would honestly return it to the dealer, get my money back and go with something else.
Again, thanks for the advice. If the vendor is willing, I'll do as you suggested.

Just some updates, as it seems none of the ifi products without iematch builtin is a good match for me. My ears are just too sensitive it seems... Now that I know what I'm looking for, I tried the different models available in the store, namely the xCAN, Nano BL, and Micro BL.

To ensure it is not just my own, I used the store's own demo unit of QDC Neptunes (10 ohm) which is much lower impedance over the DMG so it's quite noticeable. The xCAN and xDSD both exhibit hissing for me. The Nano would exhibit hissing in direct from 0 volume up to maximum. For reference, the store personnel there could only hear the hissing in the Nano from around 50% volume and up, and anything lower is inaudible for them and this is using the QDC Neptune. The Micro hissed but only with iematch off and on turbo/standard. On Eco, even without the builtin iematch, it did not hiss at all.

Aside from the Nano, the others are tested first with audible music for me then I cut off the music to try and see if the hiss is audible or not.

They also had a Chord Mojo demo unit, and I tested it out as well. There was a weird sound, reminiscent of dial up internet while connected to my phone (wifi and lte was on) which I assume was RFI. Aside from there being RFI on the Chord Mojo, it also had a slight hiss, but much less noticeable compared to the xDSD. For the Mojo, I had to concentrate on trying to hear it, which, while not ideal, is simply so much better compared to the xDSD imo where I could hear it easily as long as the environment was quiet.

All the hissing disappears when used with Ifi Earbuddy or Iematch btw, so that's my last resort if the store does not allow me to exchange it for another item. There was another item at the same price range that did not hiss at all for me, even when I put it on High Gain, but I'll probably just post in that thread if I do get that item. Sad, because without the hiss, I actually preferred the sound of the xDSD over all the others, even over the Chord Mojo(this sounded super smooth and velvety though so taste might depend on day).

PS, the Neptune is at 10 ohm, and I mistook the impedance rating for the DMGs as it is apparently 18 ohm, not 28 ohm which is what is listed in Penon Audio. Maybe it's the BA drivers that I can hear causing the hiss, as the hiss was even less noticeable on the F300, which is at 16 ohm and a single dynamic driver.

Feb 8, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #1,282 of 2,505
Again, thanks for the advice. If the vendor is willing, I'll do as you suggested.

Just some updates, as it seems none of the ifi products without iematch builtin is a good match for me. My ears are just too sensitive it seems... Now that I know what I'm looking for, I tried the different models available in the store, namely the xCAN, Nano BL, and Micro BL.

To ensure it is not just my own, I used the store's own demo unit of QDC Neptunes (10 ohm) which is much lower impedance over the DMG so it's quite noticeable. The xCAN and xDSD both exhibit hissing for me. The Nano would exhibit hissing in direct from 0 volume up to maximum. For reference, the store personnel there could only hear the hissing in the Nano from around 50% volume and up, and anything lower is inaudible for them and this is using the QDC Neptune. The Micro hissed but only with iematch off and on turbo/standard. On Eco, even without the builtin iematch, it did not hiss at all.

Aside from the Nano, the others are tested first with audible music for me then I cut off the music to try and see if the hiss is audible or not.

They also had a Chord Mojo demo unit, and I tested it out as well. There was a weird sound, reminiscent of dial up internet while connected to my phone (wifi and lte was on) which I assume was RFI. Aside from there being RFI on the Chord Mojo, it also had a slight hiss, but much less noticeable compared to the xDSD. For the Mojo, I had to concentrate on trying to hear it, which, while not ideal, is simply so much better compared to the xDSD imo where I could hear it easily as long as the environment was quiet.

All the hissing disappears when used with Ifi Earbuddy or Iematch btw, so that's my last resort if the store does not allow me to exchange it for another item. There was another item at the same price range that did not hiss at all for me, even when I put it on High Gain, but I'll probably just post in that thread if I do get that item. Sad, because without the hiss, I actually preferred the sound of the xDSD over all the others, even over the Chord Mojo(this sounded super smooth and velvety though so taste might depend on day).

PS, the Neptune is at 10 ohm, and I mistook the impedance rating for the DMGs as it is apparently 18 ohm, not 28 ohm which is what is listed in Penon Audio. Maybe it's the BA drivers that I can hear causing the hiss, as the hiss was even less noticeable on the F300, which is at 16 ohm and a single dynamic driver.

Given your sensitivity, did you consider trying/buying higher impedance / lower sensitivity IEMs/headphones?

Feb 8, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #1,283 of 2,505
Given your sensitivity, did you consider trying/buying higher impedance / lower sensitivity IEMs/headphones?
I'm just new to the hobby so I haven't yet explored many different parts of the hobby. The CCA C10 is at 32 ohm though and I was also able to detect the hiss at home.

Haha, trying to look on the brightside, if I do end up keeping the xDSD, I'll take it as a sign to buy some headphones like the Sennheiser HD 6XX or even save up for some planar iems.

Feb 8, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #1,284 of 2,505
I've just dropped it off at the store I bought it at, and they will wait for their boss to come later to check it out. Sad news is that if I just tried out the demo unit in a much more quiet setting (even as simple as closing the doors of the shop so ambient noise won't come in) then I would have noticed the hiss immediately.

Given how one of the two said they can't hear the hiss, and how the other changed his mind and said they cannot hear it either, I am not hopeful anything will happen. Since they don't have stock either, they can't replace it with another unit immediately, and new stock will need to be flown in first, and they don't know when they will get their next stock.

Since I don't think the shop will accept returns, especially if the boss decides they cannot hear the hiss either, then the only option is for me to either accept the hiss during quiet situations (office setting or home) or get impedance plugs or iematch...

Which if that was the end effect anyway, I should have bought some other cheaper product (like maybe the bl nano with the built in iematch and pair it with a btr3 if I want bluetooth) rather than get the expensive xDSD. To say that I am extremely disappointed is still just an understatement.

Based on the official data (110dB/1mW & 18 Ohm) this IEM translates into 127dB/1V, which means a small amount of background hiss may be audible. As IEM/headphone sensitivity varies greatly comparing background noise is only valid using the same IEM.

If items the customer mentions as "not having hiss" are compared under the exact same background noise conditions, with the same IEM and with equivalent gain settings, it is likely they will have similar levels of hiss with the same IEM.

Naturally, the solution is to add iEMatch or Earbuddy.

Last edited:
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Feb 11, 2019 at 9:21 PM Post #1,285 of 2,505
I have a Huawei phone that was working OK yersterday and suddenly I do not get audio when connected through bluetooth to the xDSD. How can this be fixed? The connection is established but no matter if I move the volume knob I don't get sound. BTW, I thought it was an xDSD issue, but then I tried with a Tablet and the tablet can be heard from the xDSD without problem.

Feb 11, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #1,286 of 2,505
I have a Huawei phone that was working OK yersterday and suddenly I do not get audio when connected through bluetooth to the xDSD. How can this be fixed? The connection is established but no matter if I move the volume knob I don't get sound. BTW, I thought it was an xDSD issue, but then I tried with a Tablet and the tablet can be heard from the xDSD without problem.

Have your phone ignore the xDSD, then re-sync it.

Feb 11, 2019 at 9:27 PM Post #1,287 of 2,505

Mmmmm, well, I unpaired and had to pair again the device using the long press with the bluetooth button on the xDSD. Now it is working again!

Feb 11, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #1,288 of 2,505
Mmmmm, well, I unpaired and had to pair again the device using the long press with the bluetooth button on the xDSD. Now it is working again!

Gotta love Bluetooth eh? It happens, and thankfully it's an easy fix, albeit annoying.

Feb 12, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #1,289 of 2,505
Is it possible to buy the blue otg cable individually because it is not present in accesory parts of ifi pages ? . If not, could You please advise any similar for this purpose ?/ ./ amazon or wherever/.. Thank you

Feb 13, 2019 at 2:40 AM Post #1,290 of 2,505
Is it possible to buy the blue otg cable individually because it is not present in accesory parts of ifi pages ? . If not, could You please advise any similar for this purpose ?/ ./ amazon or wherever/.. Thank you
I got this one today to use it with my Mate 20. Works perfectly! As It Is small, it's just perfect! BTW, it's for USB-C.
IMG_20190213_013033.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back