iFi audio xDSD- The Official Thread
Feb 5, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #1,261 of 2,505
About $300. Something portable or foldable would be nice. In fact, this cans would be for the xDSD, so that's why I pretend to keep it on less than $300.
Thank you.

Perfect budget and requirements for reasons to grab a Momentum 2.0/HD-1. In your price range and foldable!

Feb 5, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #1,262 of 2,505
About $300. Something portable or foldable would be nice. In fact, this cans would be for the xDSD, so that's why I pretend to keep it on less than $300.
Thank you.

Oh ok. Well then forget about the Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro then. lol

However..............ok now that I know, I can give you some closed-back headphone options. (If interested in IEMs, lemme know. But I tend to gravitate towards headphones as I feel they give you more bang for the buck vs. pricier IEMs.)

1) DT 770 Pro - The "little brother" of the DT 1770 Pro. To me, since I'm such a huge fan of the 1770, I feel it's the best choice easily for under $300, or even $500 perhaps? The pros are the fantastic sound quality, low price (though I'd HIGHLY recommend upgrading the ear pads like I did to the Dekoni sheepskin leather ones which I and others on here concluded IMPROVED the sound quality of the 1770), and nice looks. Also this is the 32-ohm version, so VERYYYY easy to drive vs. the 250-ohm 1770. Cons are it's not the most portable, but still IMO portable enough. Also cable is non-detachable (unlike 1770) and 10' long, but you can easily twisty-tie it as I've done in the past like with my old AKG K550s. (Make sure to buy from DigitalDJGear for best price.)

2) NAD VISO HP 50 - I have this listed as a great alternate to the 770.

3) Monoprice HR-5C - These are the EXACT SAME HEADPHONES as the slightly pricier Brainwavz HM5. EXACT in every way!

Best "overall" is the HP 50. So I'd probably suggest that since it's better sound than Monoprice and more portable than the 770.

I believe these 3 headphones sound better than anything below the $300-$400 range for closed-back. Yeah, I said it. lol

There ya go! Lemme know if you have any questions. (IF you don't like these, I have more to suggest. The quality of the materials AND PRICE will go up, but not the sound quality. So you have to decide what's important to you. But really ALL of my suggestions sound great to incredible.)

Feb 7, 2019 at 2:50 AM Post #1,266 of 2,505
Another attempt on making my own mini OTG cable.
Wow, that's a pretty cool setup! I was just looking at the xDSD recently as I'm waiting for the FiiO M6 to drop by our shores and I was thinking that I might do something like that for when I don't mind the bulk.

Could you do a short compare between the sound differences between using the xDSD and just the M6?

p.s. that ribbon cable looks pretty sweet, and I wish it was available commercially

Feb 7, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #1,267 of 2,505
So I ended up buying it after demoing the unit at the shop.

Listening to it right now, and there is a very noticeable hiss on my iem (BGVP DMG, 28 ohm, 108 sensitivity) that wasn't there on the demo unit. Does this require burn in? I am using the Ifi OTG cable to connect it to my phone (Huawei Mate 20 Pro) and without any music there is a noticeable hiss. Even without connecting the xDSD to anything, there is still that hiss.

I'm quite disappointed as even the cheaper devices like the Topping NX1S and Hidizs Sonata HD don't exhibit this hissing noise, and this thing cost 15-20 times those items.

IMG_20190208_002935.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #1,269 of 2,505
Are you charging it?
Nope, it is not charging, it's not connected to anything except bluetooth, and the hiss is still there when I disconnect it from bluetooth.

Turning it off and on causes the hiss to disappear... At least until I plug it into a source (i.e. my phone via OTG or by bluetooth) then the hiss reappears.

I'll try to see if the hiss appears when I plug it in my Windows desktop.

Edit: even when plugged into the computer, the hiss is still there.

I've also attempted it with other stuff of mine, but all my iems hiss. Either it doesn't hiss on my earbuds, or they can't pick it up. My old Steel Series Siberia 200 is practically the only thing I have on hand that I'm certain doesn't hiss.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #1,270 of 2,505
Nope, it is not charging, it's not connected to anything except bluetooth

Then the unit is probably defective, try contacting the iFi support.

Feb 7, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #1,271 of 2,505
Then the unit is probably defective, try contacting the iFi support.
Thanks, I'll bring it back to the store I bought it at first, and see what they'll tell me.

Feb 7, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #1,275 of 2,505
Yup, please do that and keep us updated!
I've just dropped it off at the store I bought it at, and they will wait for their boss to come later to check it out. Sad news is that if I just tried out the demo unit in a much more quiet setting (even as simple as closing the doors of the shop so ambient noise won't come in) then I would have noticed the hiss immediately.

Given how one of the two said they can't hear the hiss, and how the other changed his mind and said they cannot hear it either, I am not hopeful anything will happen. Since they don't have stock either, they can't replace it with another unit immediately, and new stock will need to be flown in first, and they don't know when they will get their next stock.

Since I don't think the shop will accept returns, especially if the boss decides they cannot hear the hiss either, then the only option is for me to either accept the hiss during quiet situations (office setting or home) or get impedance plugs or iematch...

Which if that was the end effect anyway, I should have bought some other cheaper product (like maybe the bl nano with the built in iematch and pair it with a btr3 if I want bluetooth) rather than get the expensive xDSD. To say that I am extremely disappointed is still just an understatement.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back