iFi audio xDSD- The Official Thread
Jul 26, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #796 of 2,505
Has anyone tried using opt/coax to connect to a FiiO X5/X3 II to use as a dac/amp? Don't really want to buy a new touchscreen dap, and the xDSD checks all my requirements for a portable dac/amp (balanced out, digital in, good sq and power, can work with multiple devices)

I see no reason why it wouldn't work. It's what the port is designed for. Connecting my PC via S/PDIF to the xDSD also worked like a charm!

Jul 26, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #797 of 2,505
I see no reason why it wouldn't work. It's what the port is designed for. Connecting my PC via S/PDIF to the xDSD also worked like a charm!

Are you able to send direct DSD through digital, or is that only through USB or conversation to pcm through the FiiO. That is really my only concern, as I'm starting to buy more albums in DSD if available, and want to make sure I can play them.

Jul 26, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #798 of 2,505
Are you able to send direct DSD through digital, or is that only through USB or conversation to pcm through the FiiO. That is really my only concern, as I'm starting to buy more albums in DSD if available, and want to make sure I can play them.

DSD exceeds S/PDIF's standards. There is nothing out there that can transport DSD over TOSLink/Coaxial. DoP over S/PDIF can (should?) work for DSD 64, but it will not be DSD native. Besides, DSD converted to PCM sounds amazing, and you'd be really hard pressed to tell the difference, especially on-the-go.

Jul 26, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #799 of 2,505
DSD exceeds S/PDIF's standards. There is nothing out there that can transport DSD over TOSLink/Coaxial. DoP over S/PDIF can (should?) work for DSD 64, but it will not be DSD native. Besides, DSD converted to PCM sounds amazing, and you'd be really hard pressed to tell the difference, especially on-the-go.

I figured as much, as I had tested this with my home theater amp, which had a couple coax in's. I just didn't know if it was a limitation of the amp or the coax standard.

So would there be a way to use the fiio's USB to input into the xDSD's USB to take advantage of all the features it has? I just want to make sure this is possible before buying one. (But I probably will buy one anyway lol)

Jul 26, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #800 of 2,505
I figured as much, as I had tested this with my home theater amp, which had a couple coax in's. I just didn't know if it was a limitation of the amp or the coax standard.

So would there be a way to use the fiio's USB to input into the xDSD's USB to take advantage of all the features it has? I just want to make sure this is possible before buying one. (But I probably will buy one anyway lol)

Unfortunately, the X5 2nd gen. will not transport out via USB, just in. Because the 3rd gen. is an Android device it can transport out to an off board DAC (and looks pretty killer to boot). And while I would always recommend iFi products, if you were to buy a shiny new touch screen enabled X5 3rd gen. I'd have to ask why you would want to use it with is as an off board DAC/AMP as the X5 looks like it would not really benefit from pairing up (unless you prefer Burr-Brown to AKM).

Jul 26, 2018 at 10:19 PM Post #801 of 2,505
Unfortunately, the X5 2nd gen. will not transport out via USB, just in. Because the 3rd gen. is an Android device it can transport out to an off board DAC (and looks pretty killer to boot). And while I would always recommend iFi products, if you were to buy a shiny new touch screen enabled X5 3rd gen. I'd have to ask why you would want to use it with is as an off board DAC/AMP as the X5 looks like it would not really benefit from pairing up (unless you prefer Burr-Brown to AKM).

When one of my friends got an xDSD and let me hear it, I was immediately impressed with the power and quality of the amp and dac. I didn't think at the time of using coax to connect to my fiio to test it though.

I want to avoid upgrading to a touchscreen dap as I prefer the easy pocket operation/one handed operation and the durability. I have a V30+ and USB audio player pro if I want a more touch screen orientated experience. I just wanted to upgrade the sound of my current fiio without buying another dap. I guess I just see the xDSD as being more versatile and future proof than a new dap.

Jul 26, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #802 of 2,505
I guess I just see the xDSD as being more versatile and future proof than a new dap.

ABSOLUTELY! 192kHz limit is nothing to scoff at either. And besides OTG/CCK works great if you have a modern smart phone and really need native DSD. FYI, DSD64 converts to 176kHz over PCM, and scales as you move up the ladder.

Jul 26, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #804 of 2,505
Just as a final question, has anyone used the xDSD to power balanced low impedence iem's? I have balanced FLC 8s, balanced iBasso IT03s and balanced Shure SE315s.

lol Ya know, all this is going to be in my review, but yes, I re-cabled by Polk Nue Vo BA IEMs to balanced and they sounded pretty darn good.

Jul 27, 2018 at 2:47 AM Post #805 of 2,505

You can send DSD as DoP over S/PDIF with no problems. It is no different in practical terms to "native" DSD, it is just being encapsulated as if it were PCM. DSD64 is about equivalent in bandwidth to 24/88.2 PCM, and DSD128 double that. You might run into trouble with optical though at higher rates, unless you're using a very good cable, like the Sysconcepts ones. The real limitation will be whether the DAP will send out DoP. More importantly, it's a waste of space. I totally agree that PCM sounds fine, and the xDSD sounds great with regular CD-quality music.

Jul 27, 2018 at 5:11 AM Post #806 of 2,505
You can send DSD as DoP over S/PDIF with no problems. It is no different in practical terms to "native" DSD, it is just being encapsulated as if it were PCM. DSD64 is about equivalent in bandwidth to 24/88.2 PCM, and DSD128 double that. You might run into trouble with optical though at higher rates, unless you're using a very good cable, like the Sysconcepts ones. The real limitation will be whether the DAP will send out DoP. More importantly, it's a waste of space. I totally agree that PCM sounds fine, and the xDSD sounds great with regular CD-quality music.

:beerchug:

Last edited:
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jul 27, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #807 of 2,505

Most of all of my music is FLAC anyway, but it is nice to know I can still play my DSD 128/64 files! I don't have anything like 256 or larger, so as long as I can play them without complication using DoP it's good.

Was more concerned about being to play them at all, not really worried about native playback :)

Jul 27, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #808 of 2,505
Hi everyone,

I've just got the xDSD and I can't stream bluetooth audio from my Android phone via aptx, while sbc does work, as well as aac if I stream from iPhone: does anyone have similar issues? I tried repairing countless times and it doesn't work.

Jul 29, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #809 of 2,505
Jul 30, 2018 at 5:23 AM Post #810 of 2,505
For the people having problems with Bluetooth I would suggest a firmware reinstallation.
When I got my xDSD and after changing the firmware to the 2.20 (non MQA, if I remember right the number) because I have no interest to MQA at all, I had issues with Bluetooth.
After reinstalling the firmware following the exact procedure iFi has in their site I have no issues at all.
With Android, iOS (iPad), Windows laptop and with friends iPhone too!

I want to say also that when I got my xDSD I didn't have much appreciation to Bluetooth. I thought "ok yeah it's nice to have Bluetooth but my main use will be USB". Well I was very wrong. I use it almost permanently in Bluetooth mode and I like it very very much!
It is a quite good pair with my Audeze Sines. Even thought this cans need and can benefit from much more power than the xDSD has, it is quite adequate given the form and the portability it has and also it's a very big step up from the cypher cable regardless of USB out Bluetooth use.

I think iFi should consider aptx HD and/or LDAC upgrade. It will give much more potential to this little great thing!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back