iFi audio xDSD- The Official Thread
Jan 11, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #1,936 of 2,505
Additionally, where does the original micro iDSD fall in between for the same purposes? I'm looking for the best transportable solution to use with a laptop and relatively efficient headphones and IEMs where the highest power is not a consideration. Furthermore, I aim to use it to feed a home hi-fi setup via the line-out. A laptop feeding USB power to any of the three democratises all the options except maybe in the case of the xDSD which is slightly smaller but for my uses, the slightly smaller size is negligible.
I cannot compare micro iDSD BL since I do not have it. Please refer others like Devodonaldson above (he is definitively talking about headphone out, not RCA lineout though). Between iDAC2 and xDSD for lineout comparison (xDSD has fixed lineout mode), I must say iDAC2 is superior to xDSD. I am using iDAC2 with pro iCAN as headphone amp or preamp as well and the sound is great! If you have certain budget and no portable use is intended, that combination is highly recommended.

There is no meaning to compare 3.5mm headphone out for iDAC2 because it is DAC, not headphone amp.

Jan 12, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #1,937 of 2,505
In short, as a DAC only, iDAC2 is second only to Pro iDSD. The next in line is iDSD BL, then xDSD or vanilla iDSD. But there are factors like size, price, functionality, headphones involved etc to consider, many variables to take into account.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jan 13, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #1,938 of 2,505
Is there a possibility of an update to Bluetooth v5.0 or later in the future? It would be nice to be able to use the feature of latest Bluetooth versions to pair multiple simultaneous devices to the DAC (such as an iPhone and a Macbook). It's about time to update my iPhone 6 in the autumn, which means I'll unfortunately lose my headphone jack if I want the latest smartphone. Would be nice to have an updated iFi xDSD to pair with a new phone... and to use with my Shure SE846 headphones.

Jan 14, 2020 at 3:20 AM Post #1,939 of 2,505
Is there a possibility of an update to Bluetooth v5.0 or later in the future? It would be nice to be able to use the feature of latest Bluetooth versions to pair multiple simultaneous devices to the DAC (such as an iPhone and a Macbook). It's about time to update my iPhone 6 in the autumn, which means I'll unfortunately lose my headphone jack if I want the latest smartphone. Would be nice to have an updated iFi xDSD to pair with a new phone... and to use with my Shure SE846 headphones.

I don't have any Bluetooth 5 devices but by my understanding Bluetooth 5 is backward compatible and for devices like the xDSD there is no benefit whatsoever in having Bluetooth 5

Jan 14, 2020 at 3:39 AM Post #1,941 of 2,505
Better range and lower power use are always good for portable battery-operated devices, IMHO.

Lower power, maybe but better range I'm not so sure. The xDSD has incredible range already I've got 10-15m and through a wall as well with no audio breakup. I can't see me needing more range personally, I suppose more range is always nice though.

Jan 14, 2020 at 4:05 AM Post #1,944 of 2,505
Bluetooth 5 is backward compatible and for devices like the xDSD there is no benefit whatsoever in having Bluetooth 5
Well, I was referring to the "Dual Audio" feature of Bluetooth 5.0, but I realize now that it's only required on the source, meaning I could stream to my xDSD and my Sony WH-1000XM3 at the same time if I wished to (not that I think I will very often, but perhaps during long air-travels if my wife wishes to watch a movie with me)

Jan 14, 2020 at 4:49 AM Post #1,945 of 2,505
Well, I was referring to the "Dual Audio" feature of Bluetooth 5.0, but I realize now that it's only required on the source, meaning I could stream to my xDSD and my Sony WH-1000XM3 at the same time if I wished to (not that I think I will very often, but perhaps during long air-travels if my wife wishes to watch a movie with me)

Good point that sounds like a useful feature, I may be wrong but I think that feature has been available for some time in the Bluetooth spec and doesn't require Bluetooth 5 to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back