iFi audio xDSD- The Official Thread
May 9, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #1,576 of 2,505
Folks, Android is Android. At times it gets updated without even noticing its users and we've already seen a bit-perfect stream not bit-perfect any longer after OS update.

The only thing not shown on that MQA vid with Huawei Mate 20 Pro is its MTP mode engaged. Now, several months later it's not MTP any longer but 'Transferring files'. This needs to be turned on and everything else is should be done as shown in our vid.

If there are any questions, you can always shoot us a message here: http://support.ifi-audio.com/

Did not work. But thank you anyway.

On my Mate 20 Pro, after enabling developer options, I get the MTP mode for USB. I had to verify repeatedly since very often turn back to "only charge". Tried uninstalling Tidal and reinstalling it, verified again MTP mode, nothing. Actually, I don't think MTP mode has to do something with the Audio Sound Layer, it's just the file transfer protocol.

I read about and now I know it's all about the isochronous audio mode on Android, with the asynchronous sub mod which is required. I think this can only be done by proper software, just as the bit perfect audio mode does with UAPP. It is a shame that only I find this app to implement it and not a simple "enabler" software around. Also, Tidal app does not implement it, common Tidal!.

It remains a mystery for me that video on youtube from iFi that shows it is possible, but actually on practice I only find to this day is not possible.

Let's hope for a developer or Tidal to implement it, as it really sucks to just have UAPP. The UAPP interface is ugly and you can't use the Tidal's downloaded cache on the phone.

May 9, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #1,577 of 2,505
To be honest, I do like UAPP. Granted, the interface still is a bit rough around the edges, but the developer Davy Wentzler is very communicative and very open to usability suggestions. So by all means do not hesitate to feed back your thoughts/suggestions to him … On top of that, I found UAPP to sound noticeably better than Tidal when used directly without headamp.

May 9, 2019 at 7:01 PM Post #1,578 of 2,505
To be honest, I do like UAPP. Granted, the interface still is a bit rough around the edges, but the developer Davy Wentzler is very communicative and very open to usability suggestions. So by all means do not hesitate to feed back your thoughts/suggestions to him … On top of that, I found UAPP to sound noticeably better than Tidal when used directly without headamp.

I don't hear any difference between UAPP and Tidal, and the Tidal interface is way better. I'll give UAPP a chance if they can make it possible to use the Tidal downloaded cache, but of course, that would be to mess too much with legal rights if I'm not mistaken. The most obvious solution would be that Tidal implement and do the things right for MQA support on the Android's app, after all, they are giving official support for MQA on Android to play the Master quality, is what they sell, so they are not giving what you pay for.

From iFi side, well, the product is right and you can tell when it is playing a right MQA signal, it is a plus they can give the support to try to play MQA right on Android, so thank you. I just wish the video they put online were for more objective help.

May 9, 2019 at 9:30 PM Post #1,579 of 2,505
Well, since day 1 I have always had the xDSD powered via USB as I use it as a DAC. Last week I had (yet another) 3 hour listening session with my iPod and CCK. Since then I have left the unit UNPLUGGED. I powered on the xDSD today and... the charge is in the green! Nice! Not sure why other people's units have gone dead sitting for a few days. :thinking:

Last edited:
May 10, 2019 at 2:14 AM Post #1,580 of 2,505
I don't hear any difference between UAPP and Tidal, and the Tidal interface is way better.

Perhaps stating the obvious, but just bear in mind that any difference in SQ between Tidal and UAPP will be taken out when using an external dac. Both apps will then skip the internal analog audio circuitry :)

May 11, 2019 at 2:20 AM Post #1,581 of 2,505
Perhaps stating the obvious, but just bear in mind that any difference in SQ between Tidal and UAPP will be taken out when using an external dac. Both apps will then skip the internal analog audio circuitry :)
Except for the fact that playing audio through Android to even an external DAC first sends the audio through the Android audio stack, resamples it, and then pushes it through the EXTERNAL DAC. Using UAPP, you bypass the native Android sample rate conversion, and processing. Been working with Android audio since 2015, and have always heard a clear difference between audio through the Android SRC, and bit perfect output via UAPP. Soundstage opens up a but, more musical overall. This using a dragonfly red, ifi XDSD, Razer USB c DAC, Hidizs Sonata HD, and even with Bluetooth DACs, as UAPP, processes the audio differently, even via Bluetooth

May 11, 2019 at 3:53 AM Post #1,582 of 2,505
Except for the fact that playing audio through Android to even an external DAC first sends the audio through the Android audio stack, resamples it, and then pushes it through the EXTERNAL DAC. Using UAPP, you bypass the native Android sample rate conversion, and processing. Been working with Android audio since 2015, and have always heard a clear difference between audio through the Android SRC, and bit perfect output via UAPP. Soundstage opens up a but, more musical overall. This using a dragonfly red, ifi XDSD, Razer USB c DAC, Hidizs Sonata HD, and even with Bluetooth DACs, as UAPP, processes the audio differently, even via Bluetooth

Excellent point .. and for me even more reason to stick with UAPP and work with the developer to feed back usability comments to him in order to see UAPP be further improved :)

May 17, 2019 at 2:53 AM Post #1,584 of 2,505
I use the xdsd as a pure DAC with the external amplifier.
Do you think that the battery will die sooner or later if I connect a permanent 5V charging cable to the xdsd?
Any suggestions?

May 17, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #1,586 of 2,505
Well, it has been 2 1/2 weeks since I last connected the xDSD to the charge cable. Powered it up today and the charge is still in the green! :metal::sunglasses:

May 25, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #1,589 of 2,505
10296326.jpg

10296327.jpg

Etymotic ER4SR with balanced 3.5mm SPOFC cable + iFi xDSD + FiiO M6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back