iFi Audio Pro iESL - The Official Thread

Would you buy our iESL now if it were still available?

• Yes

Votes: 87 77.0%
  • No

Votes: 12 10.6%
  • I don't know

Votes: 14 12.4%

• Total voters
Oct 19, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #257 of 815
No, this are not good, you need 3pin female, but I don’t think it will work any way good as you need more then 10V on the output.
I think you meant 4pin female.

The XLR connector on the back of the iFi iESL is a 4 pin balanced MALE connector and is intended to be connected to the balanced headphone output of a headphone amp that can provide a high enough voltage swing to the energizer. The success of the connection will largely depend on the sensitivity of your estat headphone.

I just ordered an iESL in the hope that it will allow me to use my Manley Absolute to drive my estat via the Manley's balanced headphone output. The estat is not a Stax and is quite insensitive so I'm not holding out much hope that it will work. Even if it was a Stax I would still be concerned. I'm getting the impression that not too many headphone amps can produce the required voltage swing and that connection to a good, tube speaker amp is probably the best way to use this device.

Oct 20, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #258 of 815
I think you meant 4pin female.

The XLR connector on the back of the iFi iESL is a 4 pin balanced MALE connector and is intended to be connected to the balanced headphone output of a headphone amp that can provide a high enough voltage swing to the energizer. The success of the connection will largely depend on the sensitivity of your estat headphone.

I just ordered an iESL in the hope that it will allow me to use my Manley Absolute to drive my estat via the Manley's balanced headphone output. The estat is not a Stax and is quite insensitive so I'm not holding out much hope that it will work. Even if it was a Stax I would still be concerned. I'm getting the impression that not too many headphone amps can produce the required voltage swing and that connection to a good, tube speaker amp is probably the best way to use this device.
Yes, I missed that, so both should be female.

Oct 20, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #259 of 815
Yes, I missed that, so both should be female.

No.

The balanced output on headphone amplifiers are typically female so the end of the cable that connects to it should be MALE. This connector will be dual 3-pin if the headphone amp has dual xlr connectors or single 4-pin if the amp has a single 4-pin xlr connector.

The end of the cable that connects to the iESL should be 4-pin xlr FEMALE. The cable that @alexdemaet posted is incorrect because the 4 pin xlr connector end that should be attached to the iESL is MALE.

Assuming that the headphone amp to be used has dual 3-pin xlr female outputs, what @alexdemaet needs to use is a cable with 2 x 3-pin xlr Male to 1 x 4-pin xlr Female.

Note that if the headphone amp outputs are at the front of the unit (as most are) then a 1 foot length might be a little short. I would get at least a 2 foot length to be safe. The connection will work if the amp can produce enough voltage swing to create a reasonable listening level with the estat headphone.

Hope that is clear.

Oct 20, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #260 of 815
No.

The balanced output on headphone amplifiers are typically female so the end of the cable that connects to it should be MALE. This connector will be dual 3-pin if the headphone amp has dual xlr connectors or single 4-pin if the amp has a single 4-pin xlr connector.

The end of the cable that connects to the iESL should be 4-pin xlr FEMALE. The cable that @alexdemaet posted is incorrect because the 4 pin xlr connector end that should be attached to the iESL is MALE.

Assuming that the headphone amp to be used has dual 3-pin xlr female outputs, what @alexdemaet needs to use is a cable with 2 x 3-pin xlr Male to 1 x 4-pin xlr Female.

Note that if the headphone amp outputs are at the front of the unit (as most are) then a 1 foot length might be a little short. I would get at least a 2 foot length to be safe. The connection will work if the amp can produce enough voltage swing to create a reasonable listening level with the estat headphone.

Hope that is clear.
No, you don’t have to assume, the question was about RMI ADI 2 and also I commented that it will not work due to to low voltage, hope that is clear.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020 at 3:22 AM Post #262 of 815
No.

Hope that is clear.
I tried the setup with a Dyson Audio adapter cable (screenshot below)! It is a much better setup compared to the iCan pro with hdmi cable!!
Now I do not need to detach the speaker cables anymore from the speakers if I want to listen to music with the Iesl :)
The Rme adi 2 pro is a wonderful device!!
So happy !!
1603264914249.png

Oct 21, 2020 at 3:28 AM Post #263 of 815
In the setup, I tried the Grado PS1000e and a Sennheiser HD600 with balanced xlr cable.
I also tried the Kingsound KS H4.

Oct 22, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #265 of 815
I am thinking about Selling the Iesl and go for a major upgrade Blue Hawaii

That was quick!

What is it that you are trying to improve relative to what you have now? The Blue Hawaii would most likely be better, but at a significantly higher price.

Do you have a good (preferably tube) amp? If so, maybe it's better to try the iESL using the speaker outputs from the amp before dropping big bucks on the Blue Hawaii. I actually get excellent results with my estat using a third party exciter and the speaker outputs of a Cayin CS-55a integrated amp. In fact I'm only trying the iESL because I want to try driving my estat using my regular headphone amp.

Oct 22, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #266 of 815
Thanks for this info. Indeed it's big bucks.
No, i don't have a tube Amp. A month ago i had the iCan pro. But the HDMI connection is not optimal. I have Norh le amp monoblocks for my speakers.

Oct 23, 2020 at 2:48 AM Post #267 of 815
I find it very useful that I am able to listen to dynamic headphones as well on the Iesl.
In my country (Belgium) there is a revised Cayin 500 for sale for 1400 euro.

Oct 29, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #269 of 815
The cayin is really sweet !

Attachments

• IMG-20201029-WA0002.jpeg
    IMG-20201029-WA0002.jpeg
    810.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20201029-WA0003.jpeg
    IMG-20201029-WA0003.jpeg
    810.2 KB · Views: 0
Oct 31, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #270 of 815
So has anyone actually tried the Chord TT2 with the iESL? And is it confirmed then that balanced out from it to the iESL provides more power and volume than the HDMI connection to the iCAN?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back