iFi audio Pro iDSD (Official) - NEW Firmware - MQA and more.
Nov 16, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #721 of 2,184
Not a weird question at all because most MQA DACs so far have their USB interface or ethernet interface do the MQA decoding and/or rendering...

The Pro iDSD is one of the few so far where MQA decoding/rendering is even possible via the SPDIF input...

I guess what you mean to say is that other DACs will only decode/render MQA from their USB input. The interface couldn't possibly do the decoding unless it was custom built around an FPGA, which would amount to the same thing.

Nov 16, 2018 at 11:34 PM Post #722 of 2,184
I guess what you mean to say is that other DACs will only decode/render MQA from their USB input. The interface couldn't possibly do the decoding unless it was custom built around an FPGA, which would amount to the same thing.

However you slice it, "That's a weird question" doesn't help anyone at all :wink:

Definitely a fair question for the reasons I mentioned - most MQA DACs only allow MQA decoding/rendering via their USB and/or ethernet input...

The Pro iDSD is one of the few so far that allow it via the SPDIF input...

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2018 at 11:35 PM Post #723 of 2,184
That's a weird question. MQA is independent of connection method. As long as no bits are changed, it will transmit over any physical digital audio connection and then be decoded by the Pro iDSD. I'm currently listening through USB to S/PDIF converter without issues.

For Audivana Plus, as long as it sends the MQA data unchanged to the Pro iDSD it should decode it fine (eg: All re-sampling off).

MQA on the Oppo 205 is only via USB - not via SPDIF or network.

MQA on the PS Audio DirectStream is only via Bridge.

Haven't tried as I don't use the ethernet/WiFi input (yet... hopefully it becomes a Roon endpoint one day).

But I thought I saw somebody say it works further up in this thread.

If it works through the SPDIF input there's great chance it works via the ethernet input too (e.g. Audirvana playing to Pro iDSD as UPnP renderer...).

Give it a try and let us know?

I will need to boot my MBP into Bootcamp and Windows :)

The Pro iDSD is just next to my bed on a side table so it isnt next to a computer.

Nov 17, 2018 at 12:13 AM Post #724 of 2,184
It was the wording that got me, which implied that the interface itself did the rendering/decoding. I guess in the case of the PS Audio DirectStream the decoding/rendering software is on the Bridge only, so that would make sense.

Nov 17, 2018 at 3:10 AM Post #725 of 2,184
4AB000B4-4399-4B83-A3D2-162C580C134F.jpeg
Et voila

MQA from Audirvana TIDAL to UPNP iFi Pro iDSD via network.

You have to manually enable MQA decoding on the Audio System

Nov 17, 2018 at 3:45 AM Post #726 of 2,184

You can also have Audirvana do the 1st unfold and set the Pro iDSD act as an MQA renderer to do 'the rest' (in the same Audirvana settings screen).

You'll get "OFS" on the Pro iDSD display, which is the MQA renderer mode, sometimes called MQB mode with other MQA DACs..

One reason to try, is it should mean less MQA processing work at the DAC end and may (or not) result in better SQ. Trust your ears in the end of course.

I didn't hear a difference with MQA vs OFS mode with the Pro iDSD but did with another MQA DAC though.

Nov 18, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #728 of 2,184
Hello, what’s your verdict regarding idsd vs Auralic ?

Help! There are too many settings to customize. It's driving me batty! Ha...nope, I'm loving the iDSD for all of its tinkering capabilities. I'll most likely be selling the Vega/Taurus combo soon. Not because the iDSD is better, but it seems to be at least equal thanks to said customization. I actually purchased a used Hugo TT (the original), which I believe I like better than both of the aforementioned....now if I could just find a great deal on that M-Scaler, I'd be all set. The current plan is keep the iDSD/iCAN, the HDVDA600 (for now at least) and the Hugo TT and sell the Vega/Taurus MKII to fund a future Hugo TT2/M-Scaler for end game. It'll be a while though, as I certainly don't want to purchase at retail prices. Striving for "End Game" sucks, because the products keep getting better and better every year. :)

Nov 18, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #729 of 2,184
For most Pro iDSD is an excellent one box solution. I'm driving my Susvara out of the 2.5 mm balanced. It sounds pretty good. I'm between amps right now. It doesn't drive the Susvara to its potential maybe 60%-70%, but for less demanding cans, it is more than enough.

Nov 18, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #730 of 2,184
For most Pro iDSD is an excellent one box solution. I'm driving my Susvara out of the 2.5 mm balanced. It sounds pretty good. I'm between amps right now. It doesn't drive the Susvara to its potential maybe 60%-70%, but for less demanding cans, it is more than enough.

Agreed....it's absolutely PERFECT (IMHO) for all my low impedance cans.

Nov 18, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #731 of 2,184
Help! There are too many settings to customize. It's driving me batty! Ha...nope, I'm loving the iDSD for all of its tinkering capabilities. I'll most likely be selling the Vega/Taurus combo soon. Not because the iDSD is better, but it seems to be at least equal thanks to said customization. I actually purchased a used Hugo TT (the original), which I believe I like better than both of the aforementioned....now if I could just find a great deal on that M-Scaler, I'd be all set. The current plan is keep the iDSD/iCAN, the HDVDA600 (for now at least) and the Hugo TT and sell the Vega/Taurus MKII to fund a future Hugo TT2/M-Scaler for end game. It'll be a while though, as I certainly don't want to purchase at retail prices. Striving for "End Game" sucks, because the products keep getting better and better every year. :)
Thank you for sharing :) the “endgame” is the journey and not the destination I guess.. at least for me, I find myself thinking about the next improvement more than listening to music

Nov 19, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #732 of 2,184
Finally unboxed my Heimdahl2 headphone cables for the Focal Elexx (Massdrop variant) driven out of the 2.5mm balanced jack - with the Heimdahl2 2.5mm adaptor.

Initially there was some harshness to the sound, so I left it playing on repeat for a couple of hours while I went on with my weekend routine. Just before bedtime, I settled in for some serious listening, and I was hooked. Ended up listening for several hours. The Pro iDSD was set to Tube+ mode (reduced negative feedback), DSD1024 upsampling/remaster. I really loved how well the system resolved the separation of instruments, strings stopped being just the "string section" but a combination of different violins and other instruments. The stock Elexx cable was good (I was using it with the Heimdahl2 2.5mm adaptor before) but this just takes it up a notch.

Admittedly, it seems odd to spend that sort of money for the cable (same as the Elexx) but I was keen to try the Heimdahl2 out. I had been using ALO cables on my Senn HD800 and Audeze LCD3 previously - which cost more than the Nordost! But never got around to recabling my favorite (HE6) so decided to give the Heimdahl2 a try and got a second one for the Elexx. Sadly I will need to break out my Mjolnir to drive the HE6.

Nov 20, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #733 of 2,184
Et voila

MQA from Audirvana TIDAL to UPNP iFi Pro iDSD via network.

This shows streaming via network to iDSD Pro, including MQA.

So to illustrate, it is possible and a correct setup is needed.

Roon's choice is to not support the general standard for network Audio (& Video) namely UPnP:

If/when we support Roon is an open question and not just technical.

Anyone requiring Roon should use an external "bridge" to USB or SPDIF. The lowest cost turnkey solution is likely $300 Sonore Sonicorbiter;

Also note that DoP and MQA decoding work on all inputs, that is Network/HDD/SD card, SPDIF/AES-EBU and USB.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back