iFi audio Pro iDSD (Official) - NEW Firmware - MQA and more.
Dec 31, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #856 of 2,185
I like HQPlayer but I haven't found a good frontend solution for it item than Room.

Roon is better but you can play from Audirvana direct to HQP Embedded server (not to HQP Desktop). Then you have HQP Embedded server playing to whatever NAA you want. So Audirvana acts as the front-end here.

The Roon integration is much slicker though.

Jan 2, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #864 of 2,185
USB audio class 2 has no mechanism to do that.

Chord’s Windows driver allows this..

I don't bring Chord up for some kind of p!ssing contest by the way (not my style).

I was just genuinely interested if iFi's Windows driver (not standard driverless USB) works this way.

And I'm not at all concerned about dropped USB packets - just a technical query. Nothing more.

It's true that standard driverless USB does not resend faulty packets; but with the Chord Windows driver, it does.

Yes WASAPI, Kernel Streaming and ASIO all work in the same way to resend lost packets.

I was told by Chord that the Windows driver re-sent error data; I presume this must apply to ASIO as well.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2019 at 7:40 PM Post #865 of 2,185
That would not make any sense to resend any audio packets when music is playing in real time. With Data it does not mater and even packets could be a little bit out of order when reached the destination where it is put together in order.
How DAC handles missing or bad audio information vary from each manufacture.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #866 of 2,185
That would not make any sense to resend any audio packets when music is playing in real time.

That's what Rob Watts and Chord's Engineering/Manufacturing Director (Matt) are saying... specifically with their Windows driver... not standard driverless USB.

See below quotes... I'll ask Matt for more info on how this works.

It's true that standard driverless USB does not resend faulty packets; but with the Chord Windows driver, it does.

Yes WASAPI, Kernel Streaming and ASIO all work in the same way to resend lost packets.

I was told by Chord that the Windows driver re-sent error data; I presume this must apply to ASIO as well.

mansr over on CA Forum has commented before that it is possible (not talking about any product specifically):

"If they use a custom protocol (not UAC), they could have some form of error correction"

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/54909-usb-audio-transmission-isn’t-bit-true/?do=findComment&comment=900867

Just to re-iterate in case anyone brings it up... I'm not at all concerned about dropped USB packets - just a technical query here.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2019 at 11:16 PM Post #867 of 2,185
Error correction is not the same as re-transmitting packets. You could add error correction bits to the USB packet using a custom driver that could help the receiving end to reconstruct corrupted packets but will not help if the packet is lost. I am more concerned with DAC's receiving data that it did not understand. Some DAC's will click or pop, some will mute and some will send a burst of noise that could do damage.

Jan 2, 2019 at 11:33 PM Post #868 of 2,185
Error correction is not the same as re-transmitting packets.

My original question to iFi is about re-sending of lost packets (using the iFi Windows driver) - based on Chord's comments about their Windows driver re-resending of lost packets (their words quoted above, not mine). So that's what I'm trying to understand - how they do that.

I imagine it's something to do with a buffer of certain size to allow for a limited number of re-tries? I asked Chord in the other thread. Will wait for their response.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 8:26 PM Post #869 of 2,185
i received my Pro iDSD today. I connected it to the network via wired connection (WiFi is not set up). Most things work fine. I could see the device from Muzo or from my DLNA control app (8player, DLNA server is whatever Netgear is using).
However, when i stream Tidal MQA from my iPhone using the Muzo app Pro iDSD tells me it processes PCM.
So, first question is - how do i check which firmware version i have?

I have read a number of posts in this forum - from that i understand that it is necessary to have firmware release 2. I also have seen that people were streaming MQA successfully using other apps than Muzo.
Last i am aware that iFi posted a video that shows that the iDSD process MQA from Tidal correctly. However, in the example the Tidal desktop app was used and it was configured for MQA passthrough - that option does not exist on the mobile app (i assume that the mobile app cannot decode MQA anyways).

Any advice appreciated.

Jan 3, 2019 at 10:37 PM Post #870 of 2,185

Users who are viewing this thread

Back