iFi audio Pro iDSD (Official) - NEW Firmware - MQA and more.
Aug 15, 2018 at 1:45 AM Post #346 of 2,184
@youurayy: And do you understand what MQA are talking about? I recommend reading the article on CA, including the numerous pages of comments, quite a few of which contain further analysis. Their whole spin now is to get around the fact that they told numerous reporters that they MQA would unfold to reproduce the original studio master, which was proven false.

Thanks for the perspective but I'm not convinced, I personally find the Q&A responses more intellectually engaging. Also perhaps let's not compare (strictly by instruments) the output of the very first MQA hardware implementations. Tidal has MQA, fine, we can still go and buy hi-res for $30 per album.

For me, the important keyword is "splines". Think of taps, but better?
Hierarchical Coding - A conceptual framework that models analogue as an infinite sample rate, finite word-size representation which can be approximated by a hierarchical chain of downward and upward splines. In MQA the transmission kernel is not a sine function, nor is it Gaussian, it is informed by neuroscience.

So and Pro iDSD doesn't support MQA as of yet?

Aug 16, 2018 at 12:17 AM Post #348 of 2,184
Is anyone driving MrSpeakers AEON Closed with the Pro iDSD directly, on the 0dB gain setting?

Can you listen to current popular music (recorded loud - say Deadmau5 for example) past 10 o'clock on the volume knob? Or is 10 o'clock too loud with these cans?

Cheers

I can answer this myself after a nice demo today.

I played the loudest music I have first, because if I had volume range limitations (like 9 oclock is already loud on 0dB gain settings) with my loudest stuff, then the demo would have been very quick.

But I was very happy with the hour or so I played with it.

With my loudest music, 10 o’clock was good for lower volume listening and 12 o’clock was at the top end of how loud I like to listen - I’m ok with this range. I was basically over 10 o’clock the entire time.

For my quieter recordings, obviously not a problem at all with range.

Very nice sounding unit.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 12:21 AM Post #349 of 2,184
@iFi audio could you confirm whether Pro iDSD supports MQA out of the box and what level of support is it? Or when can we expect it -- and will we be able to update the firmware ourselves. Thanks.

Just found it on the thread -- no MQA support currently and expected FW update in September. Is that still on track?

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 7:39 AM Post #351 of 2,184
So your replacement unit has had no issues? Did they explain what the issues were with your first unit, last month?
The problems I described are gone with the new firmware. I am happy with Pro iDSD now except for the missing MQA functionality. iFi said they will release a firmware update sometime in September to address the MQA issues.

Aug 16, 2018 at 7:40 AM Post #352 of 2,184
The problems I described are gone with the new firmware. I am happy with Pro iDSD now except for the missing MQA functionality. iFi said they will release a firmware update sometime in September to address the MQA issues.

Great news. So you didn't actually get a replacement unit - the firmware update of your original unit fixed the problems?

Aug 16, 2018 at 7:52 AM Post #353 of 2,184
Great news. So you didn't actually get a replacement unit - the firmware update of your original unit fixed the problems?
I did get a replacement, which exhibited the same problem as the first one until iFi provided the latest firmware.

Aug 16, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #355 of 2,184
I did get a replacement, which exhibited the same problem as the first one until iFi provided the latest firmware.

There's a new firmware?

Aug 16, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #356 of 2,184
Aug 16, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #357 of 2,184
I got my Massdrop Focal ELEX today and decided to hook it up to the Pro iDSD

I’m using the multi tap filter a la Chord with Tube + mode. And it is causing me sleepless nights.

The music is so engaging. And this is possibly the most analog sounding combination.

There’s hardly any harshness from some pretty grungy recordings (Bon Jovi) and I can keep cranking up the volume (to the detriment of my hearing I’m sure) like with my analog rig.

Ive ordered the Nordost Heimdahl 2 headphone cables for the ELEX and a 2.5mm balanced adaptor so should be able to see how much better I can get this combo.

Aug 16, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #358 of 2,184
I got my Massdrop Focal ELEX today and decided to hook it up to the Pro iDSD

I’m using the multi tap filter a la Chord with Tube + mode. And it is causing me sleepless nights.

The music is so engaging. And this is possibly the most analog sounding combination.

There’s hardly any harshness from some pretty grungy recordings (Bon Jovi) and I can keep cranking up the volume (to the detriment of my hearing I’m sure) like with my analog rig.

Ive ordered the Nordost Heimdahl 2 headphone cables for the ELEX and a 2.5mm balanced adaptor so should be able to see how much better I can get this combo.

Tube+ is also my favorite. Not a big fan of that Nordost cable. I think it’s way overpriced for it’s sound.

Aug 16, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #359 of 2,184
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Aug 16, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #360 of 2,184
Tube+ is also my favorite. Not a big fan of that Nordost cable. I think it’s way overpriced for it’s sound.

You know the Heimdahl2 was actually cheaper than the ALO cables I used to order :) at least landed in Australia, so I figured I'd give them a go. I never upgraded my HE6 cable before and I like that when you order the cable it comes with 4 pin XLR connectors with adaptor cables for mini stereo, 1/4" stereo included - and I was able to buy adaptors like the 2.5mm balanced for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back