1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

iFi audio Pro iDSD (Official) - NEW Firmware - MQA and more.

First

Back
21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41
Next

Last
  1. erpguru
    Hmm, so if I were to bundle the Ifi dac and the amp, we are talking around $4.2k or so..that is into Hugo TT2 territory..I know I am getting into religious territory, but would anyone consider that as an alternative to the ifo combo?

CClose likes this.
  2. gordec
    I’m one of the few who did not like Pro iCan. I actually preferred the sound of the Pro iDSD driving the Susvara even though it clearly didn’t have enough power to reveal Susvara’s full potentials. The Pro iCan on the other hand only needed to be at 10 o’clock on the lowest gain setting to drive the Susvara to my listening level. Regardless, the MHA100 sounds so much better to my ears than the Pro iCan. If you are getting Pro iDSD why don’t you do that first. For most headphones, other than Abyss, HE6, Susvara, Pro iDSD may be enough and Pro iCan may not add much. You save $1000 that way. Just my $0.02.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    Em2016 likes this.
  3. youurayy
    I have Hugo 2 (not TT) and while the DAC is silky smooth, the dynamics are lacking compared to iDSD, not just Pro but also the Micro iDSD. What I learned here is that the DAC part isn't everything, plus as humans we get bored with the same, so I prefer to have plenty of choice between many different signatures inside the same box, which iDSD provides. Additionally the Hugo 2, in general its "desktop mode", and charging-while-being-used overheating issues have a long way to perfect product. The TT may fare better but I won't hold my breath. iDSD is the swiss knife DAC while also being the end-game-enough for me.

There's the question of how did you connect the iDSD and iCAN, e.g. an insufficient cable can ruin everything. Or if you compare iCAN with iDSD, where iCAN is driven by other DAC than iDSD, that's also a bit of comparing apples and oranges.
    The huge reserve in iCAN's volume knob setting hints at how much dynamics the amp can deliver, while the Gain setting doesn't count in this aspect -- I dislike the sound of either iDSD/iCAN when any Gain is applied, but thankfully, it is never needed. (And it probably would work fine if it was applied just to raise the input signal's level when necessary (at least that's what "input gain" does, idk if the gain on iDSD is input gain or more like line amp power boost).)
    Just my 2 cents also:)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  4. gordec
    There's the question of how did you connect the iDSD and iCAN, e.g. an insufficient cable can ruin everything. Or if you compare iCAN with iDSD, where iCAN is driven by other DAC than iDSD, that's also a bit of comparing apples and oranges.
    The huge reserve in iCAN's volume knob setting hints at how much dynamics the amp can deliver, while the Gain setting doesn't count in this aspect -- I dislike the sound of either iDSD/iCAN when any Gain is applied, but thankfully, it is never needed. (And it probably would work fine if it was applied just to raise the input signal's level when necessary (at least that's what "input gain" does, idk if the gain on iDSD is input gain or more like line amp power boost).)
    Just my 2 cents also:)[/QUOTE]

I had nice silver RCA interconnects going from Qutest to Pro iCan. The chain should be fine. Many Susvara owners love the Pro iCan. It doesn’t sound bad and actually sounds good, but the MHA100 just sounds so much better. May be it’s more of a discussion of good vs great.

5. youurayy
    Fair point. Other factors may also be in play, like e.g. personal subjective preference.
    I see the MHA100 was discontinued, there's the MHA150 -- it's quite bulky too.

Need to mention the iCAN has awesome bass boost modes, just used it yesterday with a movie.

6. Matez
    I haven't used Pro iCAN's bass boost in movies though liked it a lot with HD800 (and some other cans too) a while ago.

7. erpguru
    So for those who have the two units stacked, I assume you use the balanced connection between the two, which mode do you set the ipro as, variable hifi, or fixed and control the volume with the ican?

8. gordec
    Variable is for using iDSD with a speaker amp that doesn't have volume knob. Just use fixed otherwise.

9. erpguru
    Can someone PM me if there is a preferable reseller, is there one who does a special price if the two units are purchased together?

10. avischiller

Try adorama on line

11. erpguru
    And it looks like it supports MQA now?

https://ifi-audio.com/mqa-firmware/

I have it on my current rig, and while I don't know if it is subjectively better, it is..different.

12. youurayy
    MQA firmware update for iDSD Pro is ETA September 2018. Currently not supported.

However TIDAL sounds fantastic as it is, via PCM. Masters go as 88 / 96 kHz PCM.

13. erpguru
    Ok pulled trigger, bought it from Adorama. They didn't have it in stock but talked with the rep and they will drop-ship it immediately from their wholeseller..

Going to place the Mytek Dac+ on Ebay...

Man, audio is addictive..

CClose likes this.
  14. erpguru
    Ok another question then, I have a linear power supply I purchased for the Mytek, 12V@6.5A, would that work for the Ifi? or is the stock power supply more than sufficient?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  15. Em2016
    Any reason you don’t use/prefer the IEMs in the 3.5mm output of Pro iCan? It has IEMatch in that port?

First

Back
21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41
Next

Last