iFi Audio Pro iDSD discussion thread
Mar 20, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #1,637 of 3,449

Cheers to that! Thank you for understanding!

Damn! iFi schooled us. But hey, like I said, I still support iFi; it's just not my main DAC anymore, and that doesn't mean I won't buy the iDSD Pro.

By the way, the Chord stuff is very stackable, and to not buy the sound quality of the DAVE because of lights that you can't even see unless you hover right over it is kind of silly.

Dear Evolvist,

I eventually couldn't resit buying a Mojo 2 weeks ago...

Thank you for your reply re. Dave (I think we can speak of it here comparatively to the iDSD Pro as they will be competing products)
about stackability, but I don't understand,
could you please explain me more about what I see on the photographs :
- the round and inclined front display which protrudes above the top surface of the Dave
- the tube on on the right which protrudes also (and by quite some height) ?

chord_electronics_dave_.jpg

Would it be possible to stack the iCan Pro, with its flat bottom surface, on top of the Dave?

Mar 20, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #1,638 of 3,449
Dear Evolvist,

I eventually couldn't resit buying a Mojo 2 weeks ago...

Thank you for your reply re. Dave (I think we can speak of it here comparatively to the iDSD Pro as they will be competing products)
about stackability, but I don't understand,
could you please explain me more about what I see on the photographs :
- the round and inclined front display which protrudes above the top surface of the Dave
- the tube on on the right which protrudes also (and by quite some height) ?

chord_electronics_dave_.jpg

Would it be possible to stack the iCan Pro, with its flat bottom surface, on top of the Dave?

Well, no, I was just saying that the Chord stuff stacks with Chord stuff and the iFi stuff stacks with iFi. You're not going to stack them both without a rack unit of your choice.

That said, iFi makes a very attractive and inexpensive rack for staking the Pro series. I think the Chord Coral stack is attractive, too, but very expensive, which is why I don't own their cradles. Haha!

I know you didn't ask me, but between the Mojo and the iDSD Pro, I would have waited for the iDSD Pro. It's just that I don't think much of the mobile Chord DACs, while I can only imagine the huge step from the iDSD micro to the Pro.

But that's just me. I could be wrong.

Mar 20, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #1,639 of 3,449
thank you for your precise clarifications,
and all other information, Evolvist, I find it very useful.

Re. the Mojo, I just bought it because of its portability to increase the SQ when listening to music at work with my smartphone.
I still intend to buy the iDSD Pro (or maybe also the Dave if I find a way stacking)

Mar 20, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #1,641 of 3,449
That said, iFi makes a very attractive and inexpensive rack for staking the Pro series. I think the Chord Coral stack is attractive, too, but very expensive, which is why I don't own their cradles. Haha!

I know you didn't ask me, but between the Mojo and the iDSD Pro, I would have waited for the iDSD Pro. It's just that I don't think much of the mobile Chord DACs, while I can only imagine the huge step from the iDSD micro to the Pro.

But that's just me. I could be wrong.

I only see the iRack for the micro and nano series on the site. Did they release pricing info elsewhere?

Mar 20, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #1,643 of 3,449
Sure, I saw it too, and I want it! When you said it was inexpensive I thought you maybe knew something we didn't. I hope it'll be inexpensive, but since the iRack is $159, I'm guessing it'll be $250 or more, which I do not consider inexpensive, considering I got a full-size Pangea rack for under $100.

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #1,644 of 3,449
Sure, I saw it too, and I want it! When you said it was inexpensive I thought you maybe knew something we didn't. I hope it'll be inexpensive, but since the iRack is $159, I'm guessing it'll be $250 or more, which I do not consider inexpensive, considering I got a full-size Pangea rack for under $100.

Right, but the stand for the DAVE is $2500. So, in comparison, I would bet the Pro iRack is pretty "inexpensive."

Mar 21, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #1,645 of 3,449
The Pro's series iRack will be available (I don't think the iFi folks will shoot my head off for stating that). I don't know when or how much. My *guess* is when the Pro iDSD comes out. Hopefully soon... PLEASE! :D

Mar 22, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #1,646 of 3,449
The Pro's series iRack will be available (I don't think the iFi folks will shoot my head off for stating that). I don't know when or how much. My *guess* is when the Pro iDSD comes out. Hopefully soon... PLEASE!
biggrin.gif

Things will happen, we assure you 
evil_smiley.gif

So when will pro DAC get a date ?

When we're in 100% ready to share that info, we'll surely post it on Head-fi.org. 

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Mar 26, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #1,647 of 3,449
Not the biggest fan of negative just to be negative posts - or whining....  However after hours and hours of reading about iFi, I recently purchased both the Micro iDSD BL and the Pro iCan.  Simplest feedback is that I really like them both.  Quick mention that even after an email to iFi Support to confirm settings - my existing Audeze Deckard Amp/DAC passes a preferred sound to the Pro iCan - speaking purely subjective.  Love the power and flow from the Pro iCan to some of my best cans - but cannot wrap my head around my peers patience for iFi and the cryptic - FOREVER delays and drama for the Pro DAC - as in its 'REAL and TRUE' release date and finalized specs.  I thought that seeing it listed in Music Direct's Catalog meant that I wasn't taking a big gamble on the DAC wait - WRONG.  The Micro iDSD BL looks 'not good' in my desktop setup with the Pro iCan but I may keep it as my portable stacked with a decommissioned 6s and CCK Kit.  Admittedly I am going to spend more to return the Pro iCan and replace it with something that meets or exceeds in spec and power.  But it is what it is - and I will end this ridiculous game of the undefined wait for the undefined iFi release date, official price, potential misstep by not getting one of the first run - etc. etc. etc.  I'm exhausted by trying to find an alternative DAC for my Pro iCan and fearing that iFi may actually release something that causes me buyer's remorse that I didn't match their DAC to their Amp.  Soooooo - the Pro iCan is going back and even though I'm looking at spending more - I can retire the process of following links to posts and secret handshakes trying to get a adult-style update from iFi.  Depending on the official price for the iFi Pro DAC, one may find themselves spending the combined investment of the newest McIntosh (150 w/ higher capability res) or other premium setups that won't make you beg for real info.  Plus since the Rack System seems to be another iFi mystery - I may eliminate the annoying detail that my Pro iCan is too light; and I don't like using one hand to hold and one to plug/unplug or keeping it far from the edge of my desk.  Wheeeeh - sorry for b-session - as I face the fact its time to box back up the little Amp I wanted to love.... I don't care about whatever true tech availability such as MQA or Octo-DSD (bad humor) that iFi is waiting for - selling me the Pro iCan with misleading availability on the Pro DAC is a real let down.

Mar 27, 2017 at 7:02 AM Post #1,648 of 3,449
Not the biggest fan of negative just to be negative posts - or whining....  However after hours and hours of reading about iFi, I recently purchased both the Micro iDSD BL and the Pro iCan.  Simplest feedback is that I really like them both.  Quick mention that even after an email to iFi Support to confirm settings - my existing Audeze Deckard Amp/DAC passes a preferred sound to the Pro iCan - speaking purely subjective..

Burn-in takes a minimum of 200 hours and with this level of kit I would say 300 hours (after my experience of a brand new iCAN SE compared to a well-used iCAN.

It doesn't matter if you do or don't believe in burn-in. It happens anyway.

Mar 27, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #1,650 of 3,449
Soooooo - the Pro iCan is going back and even though I'm looking at spending more - I can retire the process of following links to posts and secret handshakes trying to get a adult-style update from iFi.

I think that is an extremely unfair comment to make (and I feel it is more out of frustration than any kind of rational thinking).

The fact is iFi has been pretty forthcoming about all of their releases.

The update as of today is: Though they have a working/close to production demo, the Pro iDSD is not ready for wide spread release. It is simple as that.

Whether you have the patience to "wait it out" is entirely up to you. If you can't, don't! It's not like they took preorders for it and are holding your money.

Personal note: I've seen in person the Pro iDSD demo. The product is not vaporware or just some spec sheet sitting on someone's desk at iFi. It is very real and actively being worked on.

Patience is, as they say, a virtue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back