iFi audio PowerStation - The Official Thread - New reviews at page 8 !!!
May 14, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #181 of 263
My experience with Supra is that they make great HDMI and USB digital cables, but I’m kind of meh on their analog interconnects (though I haven’t tried their $$$ line) and power cables. Their power cables aren’t really configured to do much filtering. I’m sure Supra’s power distribution block is nicely made, but probably doesn’t do a lot of power conditoning per se. I’m not sure how adding some AC iPurifiers to that would measure up to the Powerstation. It depends what you’re looking to get out of it.
Supra mains conditioner NIF filtering is speced up to 40db noise filtration same as powerstation but i guess ifis filtration is better at reaching the lower FR. And supra power cables have around 12db filtration(dont know if thats much in the cable game) according to supra on there website.

What i thought/think is that powerstation best card is the bulit in acpurifier. What's else special about it i dont know honestly that would make it better to others. The polarity check is great. And also intillegent ground i guess.

Mixing different noise filtration might be good i think so they hopefully can teamwork for better result. Where one technique might reach noise where the others can't.

I also wanted the more outletts supra could give me 8 vs 6.

Btw i use supra hdmi cables and Ethernet Cables and own one optical cable i think there great value. I live very near there factory here in Sweden (14km) but i never visited it.

Last edited:
May 14, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #182 of 263
Looks and make aside, it came down to performance differences, and the PS10 failed to eliminate some low-level background noise in my system that I heard during quiet passages of music
Tried adding an ifi acpurifier to it? see if it's gets better then powerstation then.

May 14, 2022 at 7:19 PM Post #183 of 263
Supra mains conditioner NIF filtering is speced up to 40db noise filtration same as powerstation but i guess ifis filtration is better at reaching the lower FR. And supra power cables have around 12db filtration(dont know if thats much in the cable game) according to supra on there website.

What i thought/think is that powerstation best card is the bulit in acpurifier. What's else special about it i dont know honestly that would make it better to others. The polarity check is great. And also intillegent ground i guess.

Mixing different noise filtration might be good i think so they hopefully can teamwork for better result. Where one technique might reach noise where the others can't.

I also wanted the more outletts supra could give me 8 vs 6.

Btw i use supra hdmi cables and Ethernet Cables and own one optical cable i think there great value. I live very near there factory here in Sweden (14km) but i never visited it.
You’re right. I stand corrected. The numbers do match.

Last edited:
May 14, 2022 at 8:10 PM Post #184 of 263
Maybe i can chain one supra mains conditioner to one spare outlet on niagara or powerstation to get more outlets now that wall is full and both mains conditioner will be full soon. Or maybe a wall outlett 2 way splitter is better? Like this

https://www.netonnet.se/art/hem-fri...UAOAyMgeizCJt1QPqyDSp_yt7HLbQJhwaAlnsEALw_wcB

Maybe both options can degrade sound quality compared to single wall outlett connection?

I think i favour the 2way splitter.

Last edited:
May 14, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #185 of 263
Maybe i can chain one supra mains conditioner to one spare outlet on niagara or powerstation to get more outlets now that wall is full and both mains conditioner will be full soon. Or maybe a wall outlett 2 way splitter is better? Like this

https://www.netonnet.se/art/hem-fri...UAOAyMgeizCJt1QPqyDSp_yt7HLbQJhwaAlnsEALw_wcB

Maybe both options can degrade sound quality compared to single wall outlett connection?

I think i favour the 2way splitter.
I’m out of my depth here. I don’t know much about wiring and grounding.

In my setup, I have both Powerstations plugged into spare outlets on the PS Audio Power Plant P12, which is in turn plugged directly into the wall. This setup takes advantage of the combined filtering from both iFi and PS Audio.

May 14, 2022 at 8:41 PM Post #186 of 263

In my setup, I have both Powerstations plugged into spare outlets on the PS Audio Power Plant P12, which is in turn plugged directly into the wall. This setup takes advantage of the combined filtering from both iFi and PS Audio.
As long as its sound good you know its working.

May 15, 2022 at 1:30 AM Post #187 of 263

Just curious, how good is the power plant compared to just using the power station direct to wall. If you have done some comparison? Its a serious piece and i did read about it. But it dont fix everything? as you mentioned low level noise with the shunyata or maybe that one wasn't connected to the power plant outlet?

May 15, 2022 at 4:52 AM Post #188 of 263
Why so little outlets on the European version with 6 schuko outletts.? And 8 on US.

This narrows down to PowerStation's frame that had to remain unchanged. US sockets are smaller than Schuko outlets, so the product could accommodate more of them. Hope this helps, thanks!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
May 21, 2022 at 1:24 AM Post #189 of 263
I have acquired a Powerstation and three SupaNova cables.

The best-sounding setup I've found in my system is to connect the Powerstation with a regular passive cable to the outlet and then connect my equipment to the Powerstation with SupaNova cables, OR to connect the Powerstation to the outlet with a SupaNova cable and connect my equipment to the Powerstation with regular passive cables. Either of these combinations results in powerful bass, impactful transients, and a black background to the music. This arrangement is more forgiving of poorly-recorded music.

When I try to stack the cables by connecting the Powerstation to the outlet with a SupaNova and connecting my equipment to the Powerstation with SupaNova cables, the sound becomes crystal clear with a black background but also very analytical and technical. It's like having a hundred individual speakers tuned to different parts of the music, where I can hear everything in the recording, but the music is so up-front that I don't enjoy the music as a whole. This arrangement is not forgiving of poorly-recorded music.

That's been my experience so far.
I'm glad you mentioned this. This mirrors my experience with the Powerstation. The most noticeable changes I heard going from wall sockets to the Powerstation:
1. Bass has a juicier presence with more impact. Truly awesome.
2. The mids are more forward and in-your-face, causing some loss of center image focus. They also sound stretched a little bit wider
3. Stage is wider but flatter depth-wise due to the more forward mids/lower treble.

These findings were consistently present across all amps that I plugged into the PowerStation: McIntosh MHA200, Formula S/Powerman, Burson Soloist GT + Supercharger 5a). I could not hear a difference when I plugged the Hugo TT2 into the wall vs Powerstation vs portable battery. I think this is due to it using internal supercapacitors, but not sure.

I am now powering most my gear (except the TT2) using a portable 700 Wh battery with AC outlets. I live in an old pre-war NYC apartment building with noisy mains so I no longer have to worry about that. Everything sounds just as clean as it did on the Powerstation -- however, stage depth and center image mids are restored properly in this config, but no configuration has been able to match how the Powerstation was enhancing the bass. That aspect was truly impressive.

The power cord connecting the Powerstation to the wall is Audio Envy Ocean 3p. Sadly choosing the right IEC cable is necessary and adds to the anxiety of having to optimize yet another component. Different cords cause different sound.

I got the Supanova cable too but haven't spent that much time with it yet. First impression using Powerstation-> supanova -> wall was that that powerful bass was nerfed a bit. Maybe too much filtering going on, who knows?

May 21, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #190 of 263
I'm glad you mentioned this. This mirrors my experience with the Powerstation. The most noticeable changes I heard going from wall sockets to the Powerstation:
1. Bass has a juicier presence with more impact. Truly awesome.
2. The mids are more forward and in-your-face, causing some loss of center image focus. They also sound stretched a little bit wider
3. Stage is wider but flatter depth-wise due to the more forward mids/lower treble.

These findings were consistently present across all amps that I plugged into the PowerStation: McIntosh MHA200, Formula S/Powerman, Burson Soloist GT + Supercharger 5a). I could not hear a difference when I plugged the Hugo TT2 into the wall vs Powerstation vs portable battery. I think this is due to it using internal supercapacitors, but not sure.

I am now powering most my gear (except the TT2) using a portable 700 Wh battery with AC outlets. I live in an old pre-war NYC apartment building with noisy mains so I no longer have to worry about that. Everything sounds just as clean as it did on the Powerstation -- however, stage depth and center image mids are restored properly in this config, but no configuration has been able to match how the Powerstation was enhancing the bass. That aspect was truly impressive.

The power cord connecting the Powerstation to the wall is Audio Envy Ocean 3p. Sadly choosing the right IEC cable is necessary and adds to the anxiety of having to optimize yet another component. Different cords cause different sound.

I got the Supanova cable too but haven't spent that much time with it yet. First impression using Powerstation-> supanova -> wall was that that powerful bass was nerfed a bit. Maybe too much filtering going on, who knows?

Thanks so much for the great feedback!

Yes - there have been, interestingly, quite a few case of people landing on a Nova cable because the SuperNova+Powerstation combo was a little too "clean" for them and felt it removed some of the impact of the low end that you mentioned.

We also created the SupaNova for people who might have an outlet without a power conditioner in it so they can get the benefits of ANC as well :)

May 22, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #191 of 263
I swapped the Audio Envy Ocean 3p cable for a JPS silver power cable and the forwardness was alleviated a little. I prefer this sound more, which is unfortunate because the JPS cable is a stiff ergonomic nightmare. The Ocean 3p is like a filet mignon and the JPS cable is straight up cowboy jerky.

I also redact my statement about the PowerStation not affecting the TT2. It clearly does -- adding the same mid forwardness to a lesser degree but still there -- but the change is not apparent immediately since there is a 10 seconds or so delay while the supercapacitors "switch" over to the new power source.

May 22, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #192 of 263
I swapped the Audio Envy Ocean 3p cable for a JPS silver power cable and the forwardness was alleviated a little. I prefer this sound more, which is unfortunate because the JPS cable is a stiff ergonomic nightmare. The Ocean 3p is like a filet mignon and the JPS cable is straight up cowboy jerky.

I also redact my statement about the PowerStation not affecting the TT2. It clearly does -- adding the same mid forwardness to a lesser degree but still there -- but the change is not apparent immediately since there is a 10 seconds or so delay while the supercapacitors "switch" over to the new power source.
Have you tried plugging the PowerStation into your battery pack?

May 24, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #194 of 263

So, do you like PowerStation :) ?

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 2, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #195 of 263
So, do you like PowerStation :) ?
Respectfully, I don't think it is the right fit in my system. The build quality, rugged feel, and presentation is excellent. Usability is great and I have confidence that it protects all my gear, BUT I really wish it didn't alter the presentation of music the way it does. Perhaps the next iteration can be designed to be more fully transparent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back