iFi audio NEO Stream - Sweet Streams!
Sep 24, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #31 of 1,420
Will this support amazon streaming natively like BlueSound node does? I do Enjoy the blueos ease of Use but the hardware specs also seem pretty Great.

Also if you run I2S out you bypass the internal Dac on this correct?

Sep 24, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #32 of 1,420
Also if you run I2S out you bypass the internal Dac on this correct?

Yup, then NEO Stream works as a streamer only!

Any chance of a updated zen streamer in the works? Something without all the added features?

We have ZEN and NEO now, so there's nothing in this pipeline at this time :)

--

Folks, remaining questions will be addressed after this weekend, thanks!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Sep 24, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #33 of 1,420
Have to say lot of feature at good price.
Will you be selling these optical modules separatly as well? Something to convert Ethernet to optical and then back to ethernet to reduce electrical interference.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #34 of 1,420
Have to say lot of feature at good price.
Will you be selling these optical modules separatly as well?

No plans for that, but maybe in the future we will. Too soon to tell :)

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Sep 24, 2022 at 7:25 PM Post #35 of 1,420
Yup, then NEO Stream works as a streamer only!

We have ZEN and NEO now, so there's nothing in this pipeline at this time :)

--

Folks, remaining questions will be addressed after this weekend, thanks!
How about amazon stream support?

Sep 24, 2022 at 7:29 PM Post #36 of 1,420
Cool device, now I'm waiting for them to introduce a Neo DAC/AMP with a powerful amplifier for low impedance planars with X Bass and gain control.

That would be more of a ask for the next version of the Pro series, whatever that may be!

Sep 24, 2022 at 9:12 PM Post #37 of 1,420
@iFi audio Do you have a forthcoming firmware update for Zen Stream that was promised a time back? With higher bit rate support and a new Volumio core? Thank you

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #38 of 1,420
Would’ve been nice to see balanced xlr outputs for connecting to active speakers such as my Dynaudio LYD 48’s, I’ll stick to my CXN v2. Good to see more options coming around though

Sep 24, 2022 at 10:40 PM Post #39 of 1,420
Would’ve been nice to see balanced xlr outputs for connecting to active speakers such as my Dynaudio LYD 48’s, I’ll stick to my CXN v2. Good to see more options coming around though
It has 4.4mm balanced out, so possible with a cable of config 4.4mm to XLR but a hassle non the less

Sep 25, 2022 at 1:13 AM Post #40 of 1,420
Wowsers how difficult is it (these days) to bring a product to market and satisfy/ 'build momentum', when it is technical to its' very core and can do something for everyone?

Seems you cannot deliver something for EVERYONE, when EVERYONE have slightly different needs and are in slightly differing places on their respective 'hifi' journeys..

I had at least four 'I want to salivate now' moments when reading about this product release.
(and I don't even stream music)

The obvious omission to me, in terms of 'one box to rule them all', was not including a DIGITAL INPUT.
(if it is going to have a decent DAC, of which iFi can make an excellent musical DAC, it would seem- even with their eyes closed- based on how much of their proprietary technology can, and will, be included.)

I understand not having a headphone socket- cause lets face it, it IS remote streaming..
the location of this box is to naturally pair INTO the home hifi rig. (probably ISN'T going to be the desktop 'monitoring' point).
Where as a digital input may just have facilitated a CD player or TV being able to make use of half a handful of the iFi tech (patents/circuits etc) already being given in this cool wee lil' tool.

I was actually disheartened to read about the XMOS chip as the second part of the story above, 'building on "WHY we should choose iFi"..

Given every man and their dog DAC maker will use 'just such an XMOS controller; talking about it doesn't really differentiate this part from others-= whereas access to the GTO filter (especially on 'low bitrate' internet streams) would be outstanding. (a bullet point on a sales sheet that deserves underlining, highlighting, and reason to move the product to the top of a short list - assuming of course that the box can handle anything you'd care to throw at it (it does) and can side step potential setup problems a user might encounter (optical network interface= woohoo!!)..

For many high end audio shops, this is the NEW BUDGET BOX to throw in the Christmas stocking...
Non audiophile types can safely buy a tool like this for their partner/'respective other', and it will ALWAYS have a use at some level, and prove a time saver vs a plethora of other gadgets and 'temporary measures'.

Does this box allow a beautiful hifi system from yesteryear (1990s?) to fully be modern world compliant? (yes, yes it appears it does!)

Is it the answer to every head-fiers present WANT LIST?
No- it doesn't have a headphone amp, doesn't have a super high quality headphone amp, doesn't have a headphone amp offering true balanced mode headphone output, doesn't have a headphone amp that is nuanced enough to drive large over ears and small custom in ear designs... (theme being: it IS missing a headphone amplifier)

Everything to having advertising speak for alleviating consumers fears that a front panel display *might* affect perfect sound delivery (would be a buzzing bee in the back of my mind),..

This product has so much iFi tech included that the average punter might not believe they need, and would certainly not spend further money on (getting approval from the 'significant other' to buy filters/dongles is a 'pleasure' many might choose to avoid; instead- losing the packaging under the car seat and simply plugging in do-dads and doo-hickeys directly into the stereo, and using the same lines oft given -"?that old thing; that has been there for aeons!?)..

Filters for digital, design towards isolation, consideration, consideration, consideration, AND including some super trick hardware (ethernet and the power adapter), this is a veritable 'one box Christmas party', and if it opens like any/every other iFi product I have had the good fortune to find- I bet a smiley face emoji will be mirroring my modal operating state when opening iFi kit from NEW/'the store'.

I kinda feel I want to post about specific bits of tech that have made their way TOGETHER into this one product, but am seeing a feeling/consensus being 'list what this box DOESN'T do..'.

So I will join in-
doesn't vacuum NOR make me a cuppa in the morning. (being without one of these things isn't a deal breaker, but missing BOTH on the same product, please... (NEXT!)).

jokes aside- cool 'one box to rule them all' (and looks like it is done right, and 'typical iFi price breakthrough' to deliver this much quality for respectively peanuts).

The software engineering and functionality is no doubt a part of being a huge consumer servicing company who has had a lot of feedback and therefor has developed something a 'step ahead' right out the gate..
but then all the electrical trickery and clever iFi patents and 'know how' marries up to make this THE SHORTLIST WINNER.

I'm not looking for a streamer, but if I was, no brainer, ! . (cheers team iFi)

GTO filter and a BurrBrown DAC circuit equals musicality too... (who'd ever have thunk that music should be 'musical')

Sep 25, 2022 at 2:56 AM Post #41 of 1,420
Hello,
Congratulations on the new streamer, looks promising Ify, great job.
As a Hip 2 user I have already had the pleasure of listening to the Ify sound.

Unfortunately, the Zen Stream didn't convince me because of the many problems.
But the Neo looks really great, since I don't have a streamer yet, it's definitely an option to consider.
I also understand that some users cannot/will not use the full functions. Nevertheless, it's always nice to have something up your sleeve.

I still have 2-3 questions about the Neo @iFi audio

Do I have to use the app to control the Neo or is it also possible via the PC?

You write that you have done everything to get distortion under control, is it so good that it makes DDC from Singxer,Gustard ect superfluous if you connect the Neo directly to your own Dac?

In terms of Mqa,what if the Neo is capable but the Dac itself is not capable of playing Mqa,will it remain rendered?

On the back of the Neo you have provided a 4.4mm connector,could you connect headphones directly to it to listen to music,or is it not recommended?

Sep 25, 2022 at 3:59 AM Post #42 of 1,420
The obvious omission to me, in terms of 'one box to rule them all', was not including a DIGITAL INPUT.

NEO Stream was designed around its streaming core and as such it doesn't need a digital input. It wasn't meant to be used as a stnadalone DAC. Thanks!

In terms of Mqa,what if the Neo is capable but the Dac itself is not capable of playing Mqa,will it remain rendered?

It's up to a standalone DAC whether it can either render or decode MQA. Thanks!

On the back of the Neo you have provided a 4.4mm connector,could you connect headphones directly to it to listen to music,or is it not recommended?

It's a balanced line level output, so not something to use with headphones :wink:

Do I have to use the app to control the Neo or is it also possible via the PC?

I'll know details about that over this weekend.

Sep 25, 2022 at 7:10 AM Post #43 of 1,420
iFi’s new NEO Stream is built from the ground up to deliver optimal versatility and sonic performance. It combines the latest version of iFi’s exceptional network streaming engine with a superbly engineered DAC stage; combine it with the amp and speakers of your choice and it will deliver a level of audio streaming performance previously unattainable without spending much more than its £1,299 price tag. (US$1299, €1299)

I have a bone to pick with IFI.

I look at IFI products and I think I would love to try them, they look appealing and may well sound good to my ears.

However, what puts me off buying them is when I see the UK prices!
My unfairness gland is immediately triggered!

Set aside the the exchange rates (at the time of writing: £1 = €1.12 and $1.09) which usually means we would pay lower "number" not the same "number" (£1,299, €1,299, $1,299) in the UK, which equates to the same value as a buyer would pay abroad.

Take transportation from manufacturer to consumer (bearing in mind the current cost of fuel) the cost of transporting goods from one part of the UK to another is usually lower than the cost of transportation to most parts of the EU, let alone the US. Most EU countries have similar VAT rates as in the UK, add to that the import penalties which come with Brexit. Why do we have to pay the exact "number" instead of the exact value, factoring in exchange rates, transportation and taxation, as the EU and the US?

I would love to support a UK manufacturer but it seems totally unfair to me, to pay more in the country where the goods are made than in countries to which the goods are exported!

If there is a valid commercial reason why we pay more, please tell.

Sep 25, 2022 at 8:09 AM Post #44 of 1,420
I have a bone to pick with IFI.

I look at IFI products and I think I would love to try them, they look appealing and may well sound good to my ears.

However, what puts me off buying them is when I see the UK prices!
My unfairness gland is immediately triggered!

Set aside the the exchange rates (at the time of writing: £1 = €1.12 and $1.09) which usually means we would pay lower "number" not the same "number" (£1,299, €1,299, $1,299) in the UK, which equates to the same value as a buyer would pay abroad.

Take transportation from manufacturer to consumer (bearing in mind the current cost of fuel) the cost of transporting goods from one part of the UK to another is usually lower than the cost of transportation to most parts of the EU, let alone the US. Most EU countries have similar VAT rates as in the UK, add to that the import penalties which come with Brexit. Why do we have to pay the exact "number" instead of the exact value, factoring in exchange rates, transportation and taxation, as the EU and the US?

I would love to support a UK manufacturer but it seems totally unfair to me, to pay more in the country where the goods are made than in countries to which the goods are exported!

If there is a valid commercial reason why we pay more, please tell.
I'd use 'Sony' as an example to best qualify what happens when selling into 'world markets'...
Based on years of looking at their cameras, home hifi and TVs and other 'consumer tech' etc...

As consumers buy based on 'price points' and retail consumer mindsets, based on years of psychology and 'studies' show that consumers are easily led to buy one product over another based on 'price perception', many times I have seen Sony products come to Australia and the price is literally doubled (or some weird ratio applied) and the product simply is sold into a price 'bracket' (gotta end with X99.99!) that suits the model, and that consumers see it as competing in.

That being said, Sony did recently up the price on their Playstation 5 in many markets, but not in the US (presently) where they have a fierce battle going on with Microsoft (on their home soil, no less).
At the start of this 'console generation' war, Sony even shipped most units OUT OF JAPAN (leaving their home soil devoid of just about any option to pick one up at retail)- it really wanted to take the fight to Mickeysoft on their home turf.. (and thusly seems the only continent presently without the price hike)..

But Sony full frame cameras and, well, 'quite a few' devices I have seen Sony sell following no rhyme nor reason for their price to land on Aussie soil as it does.
The only rule that seems to be followed is 'choosing a pricepoint' that appears to consumers as being 'below the next threshold' for next tier up kit.
I gather in an internet world where we can all check prices instantly (for world markets) -some consumers will check these details and 'consider their options'.

I never buy from the internet (bricks and mortar/local market consumer, myself..), and so I do not get concerned with such practices, as 'how much I could save if I imported from just over the blue horizon', especially given than many of those 'small hop away' sales channels might even deliver to me quicker...

I am not saying ordering from overseas is a skill I have never developed.. in the eighties and nineties I imported most of my games and gaming consoles.. (generally preferring the faster gameplay from the output of NTSC standard systems vs the PAL TV signal..)

Now most gaming is HDMI standard (equal everywhere around the globe), and most releases are more or less global, I left such hobby purchasing methods altogether, approaching two decades ago.

I know there can be a saving to the consumer, but I watched an intelligent take on 'supporting your local market' (by Russel Brand, no less!!), and so I do everything in my power to keep my coin in my local area..
I support the shops that support me, and in a few instances where I thought things were a wee bit of a price shock, have been happy negotiating with my local retailer that I want to support them; can we find a middle ground?

I truly believe that your local head-fi store would appreciate your long term custom, and would be happy moving their goalposts a wee bit more if that was the difference between keeping your business vs losing a customer to a cold international 'internet' sale.

True, internet businesses can operate with WAY less overheads, and so I pay a markup for any retail business that 'carries product' (especially if I can touch it).. but I'd never rort my local business for 10% coin or less..

And when it comes to warranty and support-=taking my product back to my local is practically a joy, vs sending a box blindly overseas=-

I gather Europe has some slight price variations, but I doubt they'd be anything like what Sony are happy to pull on some niche items (literally doubling the price for no reason, but because it 'looks nice')..

if some parts of the distribution channel are absorbing aspects of the 'subtle difference' in order to keep a clear and concise pricepoint for us to see, then , that seems like a good thing to me...

Again,.. I always encourage users to be willing to pay up to 10% more (vs internet 'average sale prices'), in order to support their local businesses that actually support them..

I like local bricks and mortar, and I know I would miss them if they were gone.

Sep 25, 2022 at 8:42 AM Post #45 of 1,420
I'd use 'Sony' as an example to best qualify what happens when selling into 'world markets'...
Based on years of looking at their cameras, home hifi and TVs and other 'consumer tech' etc...

As consumers buy based on 'price points' and retail consumer mindsets, based on years of psychology and 'studies' show that consumers are easily led to buy one product over another based on 'price perception', many times I have seen Sony products come to Australia and the price is literally doubled (or some weird ratio applied) and the product simply is sold into a price 'bracket' (gotta end with X99.99!) that suits the model, and that consumers see it as competing in.

That being said, Sony did recently up the price on their Playstation 5 in many markets, but not in the US (presently) where they have a fierce battle going on with Microsoft (on their home soil, no less).
At the start of this 'console generation' war, Sony even shipped most units OUT OF JAPAN (leaving their home soil devoid of just about any option to pick one up at retail)- it really wanted to take the fight to Mickeysoft on their home turf.. (and thusly seems the only continent presently without the price hike)..

But Sony full frame cameras and, well, 'quite a few' devices I have seen Sony sell following no rhyme nor reason for their price to land on Aussie soil as it does.
The only rule that seems to be followed is 'choosing a pricepoint' that appears to consumers as being 'below the next threshold' for next tier up kit.
I gather in an internet world where we can all check prices instantly (for world markets) -some consumers will check these details and 'consider their options'.

I never buy from the internet (bricks and mortar/local market consumer, myself..), and so I do not get concerned with such practices, as 'how much I could save if I imported from just over the blue horizon', especially given than many of those 'small hop away' sales channels might even deliver to me quicker...

I am not saying ordering from overseas is a skill I have never developed.. in the eighties and nineties I imported most of my games and gaming consoles.. (generally preferring the faster gameplay from the output of NTSC standard systems vs the PAL TV signal..)

Now most gaming is HDMI standard (equal everywhere around the globe), and most releases are more or less global, I left such hobby purchasing methods altogether, approaching two decades ago.

I know there can be a saving to the consumer, but I watched an intelligent take on 'supporting your local market' (by Russel Brand, no less!!), and so I do everything in my power to keep my coin in my local area..
I support the shops that support me, and in a few instances where I thought things were a wee bit of a price shock, have been happy negotiating with my local retailer that I want to support them; can we find a middle ground?

I truly believe that your local head-fi store would appreciate your long term custom, and would be happy moving their goalposts a wee bit more if that was the difference between keeping your business vs losing a customer to a cold international 'internet' sale.

True, internet businesses can operate with WAY less overheads, and so I pay a markup for any retail business that 'carries product' (especially if I can touch it).. but I'd never rort my local business for 10% coin or less..

And when it comes to warranty and support-=taking my product back to my local is practically a joy, vs sending a box blindly overseas=-

I gather Europe has some slight price variations, but I doubt they'd be anything like what Sony are happy to pull on some niche items (literally doubling the price for no reason, but because it 'looks nice')..

if some parts of the distribution channel are absorbing aspects of the 'subtle difference' in order to keep a clear and concise pricepoint for us to see, then , that seems like a good thing to me...

Again,.. I always encourage users to be willing to pay up to 10% more (vs internet 'average sale prices'), in order to support their local businesses that actually support them..

I like local bricks and mortar, and I know I would miss them if they were gone.
Good to hear those in Australia understand what we experience in the UK but I hope it can be stopped.

We do not have many bricks and mortar shops in the UK, probably because property prices do not make them a viable proposition, especially as you alluded to, buyers do not make a distinction between the value to their local economy and value for themselves.

Pricing for status, I understand, if the label hunters want something and are prepared to pay for it, I can see a company going for it and pricing accordingly. I have nothing against the "Apple syndrome", just not for me.

I understand going for a product because it is aesthetically pleasing, I am also guilty as I buy some products because it pleases me to look at them.

What I find difficult is blatantly unfair pricing, and I do not believe those of us audio enthusiasts in the UK consider IFI, or that Australians consider Sony, any more premium than the US or EU buyers because we are made to pay more for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back