iFi audio NEO iDSD - The Performance Edition is here! (INFO: Post 837, Page 56)
Nov 16, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #256 of 1,148
DX7 has more body, with more visible subbass. Soundstage is wider and deeper, but it is more official, without magic feeling. I don't have DX7 pro next to me, so I can't make such a detailed comparison. But DX7 Pro is definitely sharper and more in your face
Thank you. I liked the DX7 Pro and want to try the NEO as I had a good experience with Burr Brown in the xDSD. The RME ADI-2 is another ony list to try.

Nov 16, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #258 of 1,148
I genuinely think that noone can go wrong with the neo, dx7 pro and Adi-2. Brilliant devices

@rev92 et al:

thanks for the information and thoughts.

may i ask how you feel the iFi Neo compares with the Topping D90/A90 please? thank you.

To everyone else:

may i ask if anyone compared these desktop DACs with a DAP like the Astell and Kern Kann Alpha? i'm currently running my Empyreans with the Kann Alpha, and am wondering how much of an improvement, if any, i'll see if i also have a desktop DAC/headphones amp.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 1:09 AM Post #259 of 1,148
The Neo is a wonderful piece of kit and I love it's simplicity because all those filters and what not on other dacs are useless imo. The Neo is a good dac and amp with no added bells and whistles so many other products like to throw in there these days that really don't add anything to the SQ. It just works as intended and sounds great with every headphone I've used, good on ya iFi.

Nov 18, 2020 at 3:34 AM Post #260 of 1,148
This NEO and Focal Clear combo......the soundstage and imaging sometimes makes me wonder if iFi secretly put Dolby Atmos 7.1 in their device :thinking:

Nov 18, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #262 of 1,148
How do I sign up for the tour?

I've put myself forward several times in the past but never managed to be selected. Im hoping being in the UK will not be a disadvantage this time around

There was a link provide in this thread. Look back and you will find it. I think the close was 20th. Or maybe that was already the date they would announce who will get it.
I am sure as hell that selection is not done randomly. Based on my impressions so far, they are not the company that would go ahead to shoot themselves in the foot intentionally.
I mean it is the same company that touted the Signature as a "limited" product in their marketing material. Then not being able to give a reasonable explanation when they were called out on it multiple times, how it could be limiter, when in fact it is replacing the Black Label entirely. I mean literally every product in the world is "limited" but obviously when used for marketing it means something else. So for a company that does not shy away from such shenanigans I am sure they will make sure to check previous reviews of the applicants and decide from there who are the most likely to be very positive. I am not saying it has to be fanboys exclusively, but you there are those that use superlatives no matter what they review. They are "nice". And only add a few superficial "Cons" because they must. You know what I mean. Then there are those that try to be objective and hit hard if not happy, irrelevant of the brand or how much the paid for it.
The whole idea of the tour is marketing. Don't get any other ideas about it. If they had the balls they would just ship one to ASR. But they are not crazy :) Maybe Amir will but one again with his own money and will see: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ds/ifi-zen-dac-and-headphone-amp-review.9885/

Nov 19, 2020 at 5:57 AM Post #263 of 1,148
Then not being able to give a reasonable explanation when they were called out on it multiple times, how it could be limiter, when in fact it is replacing the Black Label entirely.

micro iDSD Signature's lifespan won't be nowhere near as long as micro iDSD BL's (sold for several years) because their alike platform is maxed out, so in that sense the former is going to be very limited. All this was already explained.

I am sure they will make sure to check previous reviews of the applicants and decide from there who are the most likely to be very positive.

This is not factual. Of course as a manufacturer we want to interact with people who i.e. won't disappear with a tour loaner, so checking tour participants' track record on this forum is common sense. But neither we see nor we wish to see reviews before they go online, people write what they please about our products.

They are "nice".

We try to, yes :)

The whole idea of the tour is marketing. Don't get any other ideas about it.

There's far more to tours than just marketing you see. Tour participants can try our stuff for themselves and share their findings with this community, which in fact is the most important thing.

If they had the balls they would just ship one to ASR.

Please stop, let's keep this thread civilized :)

Last edited:
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Nov 19, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #264 of 1,148
Ear Fidelity reviewed a couple of products by iFi Audio and the manufacturer never showed even the slightest will to influence anything written in the review, before or after publishing it.

Actually, not a single manufacturer never tried to influence anything I wrote in a review, whether it was positive or negative, and I've been reviewing stuff for 7 years.

Your accusations are totally fabricated, and it's really not a nice thing to do to attack iFi Audio with such viciousness.

Nov 19, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #265 of 1,148
If possible, I’d like to join the tour.
Also, a question after reading the product page: it says we can use it connected to the Xbox Series X and PS5. Does the Neo support a USB Audio Class 1 mode of operation? Or was compatibility obtained by other means (licensing etc)?

Nov 19, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #266 of 1,148
Ear Fidelity reviewed a couple of products by iFi Audio and the manufacturer never showed even the slightest will to influence anything written in the review, before or after publishing it.

Actually, not a single manufacturer never tried to influence anything I wrote in a review, whether it was positive or negative, and I've been reviewing stuff for 7 years.

Your accusations are totally fabricated, and it's really not a nice thing to do to attack iFi Audio with such viciousness.

Where did I say that they would try to influence what you write? Please! You are free to disagree, but don't try so hard to make a valid point by twisting my words.

Go read again. I said they don't send randomly, not that they coarse the reviewers or give them instructions. There is no way that you would know how they select. Only they know that.

As for IFI, your explanation about Signature being called "limited" because you will not make it forever is laughable sudo lawyer reasoning. I don't think even the most die hard IFI fanatic will stand with you on that one.
You know very well that the word limited is used I marketing material when one makes for example 100units and usually even gives them individual numbers. I maintain that your use is deceiving and misleading.
If all you wanted is to tell inform potential buyers when you do decide to stop making them, then you ccould have just made a publication 3 month before you want to stop selling them. Then whoever is still interested in getting one can do so.

Finally I don't see what is so uncivilized about me suggesting that you man up and send a unit to Amir. RME did and got stellar review. Shiit did and got called out on some off the publicised stats/specs that turned out to be bad upon real testing. They were mature about it. Instead of pretending that it never happened, they revised on the next product and fixed it.

PS. My Beyers final arrived today so I am excited to go home to listen to my IFI Sig after all the waiting :p

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #267 of 1,148
Of course as a manufacturer we want to interact with people who i.e. won't disappear with a tour loaner, so checking tour participants' track record on this forum is common sense. But neither we see nor we wish to see reviews before they go online, people write what they please about our products.
As someone who participated in a few iFi review tours I can confirm this. iFi is genuinely interested in customer feedback, even the pickiest customer's feedback like us on the forums. It is not just marketing. Plus from marketing to sale department anyone I have ever contacted at iFi were extra helpful and kind. Not all manufacturers have such a direct relationship with their audience. Let's appreciate this a little more.

Nov 20, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #269 of 1,148
Will be getting the Neo IDSD tomorrow, will post impressions later this month :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back