iFi audio NEO iDSD - The Performance Edition is here! (INFO: Post 837, Page 56)
Jun 27, 2022 at 11:43 PM Post #1,021 of 1,148
Deric- quite possibly the problem with text is ‘no tone conveyed‘ with my words..

I enjoyed the video, my post wasn’t to try to critique ‘them’ (I am positive towards what they do!)
I kinda used a tactic to inject some interest from anyone who may have skipped watching the video, and gave reference to the ‘youngsters’ off camera (the two Alex’s).
I am not surprised that any reviewer could have a hard time picking some differences.. to me DACs can sound the same, and in my recent ‘quick’ testing, also found that.. (until they ”didn’t”, which was in ‘some songs at specific moments’- often true of much hifi kit testing)…
If any given reviewers’ playlist didn’t give an obvious difference, OR ‘they were NOT fast switching between units at appropriate moments’, what we got in their review, based off a small amount of time testing’ is quite viable,.. and happens all the time.. Heck here on Head-fi we have lots of people who swear black and blue to all sorts of ‘myths’ or things seen by them(or unseen by them) and much of it can come to limitations in the ‘resolve‘ capability of the total system (not the case with the aforementioned video) or any given test media run on it (likely the case for one of the ‘serious’ reviewers above…).. (and ‘perception’/EAR TRAINING etc)
This is why any time I check equipment I like to do so in ‘several setups’ and with several people…(over a decent amount of time)

Again, to be clear,.. I really appreciate the video and respect the work and effort that went into it. I also highly respect all THREE on camera reviewers, even if this vid isn’t their best example of a ‘review’/‘review process’; they convey information,.. and I know this is sought after- and MANY people can now appreciate some further insight / ‘opinions’ that are shared.

I have no doubt with certain music/in a certain setup/ listening for ‘certain things’ the Denafrips would justify its’ design. (I am a fan!)
My words above was just to put some fuel on the fire, ‘that “I too” experienced what was being claimed in this video’; the dynamics and staging differences from the iFi part, and ‘musical power’ (ability to sound like live music being recreated in my personal living space), was incredible and ‘quite a stand out’ vs other products I was comparing against.
It wasn’t subtle (in those moments that had it ‘pull away’) when revealing these differences.. although there was also a lot of the time (perhaps 60%) where there was as close to nil difference as to leave me ‘shrugging shoulders’ and not caring which DAC would get my electricity bills’ bean counter.

edited to fix some punctuation -yes ‘I went there’

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2022 at 1:08 AM Post #1,022 of 1,148
Deric- quite possibly the problem with text is ‘no tone conveyed‘ with my words..

I enjoyed the video, my post wasn’t to try to critique ‘them’ (I am positive towards what they do!)
I kinda used a tactic to inject some interest from anyone who may have skipped watching the video, and gave reference to the ‘youngsters’ off camera (the two Alex’s).
I am not surprised that any reviewer could have a hard time picking some differences.. to me DACs can sound the same, and in my recent ‘quick’ testing, also found that.. (until they ”didn’t”, which was in ‘some songs at specific moments’- often true of much hifi kit testing)…
If any given reviewers’ playlist didn’t give an obvious difference, OR ‘they were NOT fast switching between units at appropriate moments’, what we got in their review, based off a small amount of time testing’ is quite viable,.. and happens all the time.. Heck here on Head-fi we have lots of people who swear black and blue to all sorts of ‘myths’ or things seen by them(or unseen by them) and much of it can come to limitations in the ‘resolve‘ capability of the total system (not the case with the aforementioned video) or any given test media run on it (likely the case for one of the ‘serious’ reviewers above…).. (and ‘perception’/EAR TRAINING etc)
This is why any time I check equipment I like to do so in ‘several setups’ and with several people…(over a decent amount of time)

Again, to be clear,.. I really appreciate the video and respect the work and effort that went into it. I also highly respect all THREE on camera reviewers, even if this vid isn’t their best example of a ‘review’/‘review process’; they convey information,.. and I know this is sought after- and MANY people can now appreciate some further insight / ‘opinions’ that are shared.

I have no doubt with certain music/in a certain setup/ listening for ‘certain things’ the Denafrips would justify its’ design. (I am a fan!)
My words above was just to put some fuel on the fire, ‘that “I too” experienced what was being claimed in this video’; the dynamics and staging differences from the iFi part, and ‘musical power’ (ability to sound like live music being recreated in my personal living space), was incredible and ‘quite a stand out’ vs other products I was comparing against.
It wasn’t subtle (in those moments that had it ‘pull away’) when revealing these differences.. although there was also a lot of the time (perhaps 60%) where there was as close to nil difference as to leave me ‘shrugging shoulders’ and not caring which DAC would get my electricity bills’ bean counter.

Hi Whitedragem, appreciated your response.

Like I said I just found it odd that the third guy was not able to tell the difference between the Aries ii and the Neo, as the difference in sound character was quite telling the last time I had the two testing them a/b.

I did not like the sound of the Aries ii, finding the midrange and the highs a bit too much coloration, artificial (not sure if these are right descriptions for it) but music just did not sound real to me. And I am in agreement with the comments from the guys at AE on the NEO, the dynamics, airiness…….

Interesting enough, I have a local audio buddy who also came across the AE review and he’s also a big fan of the store and became very curious about the NEO. He offered to swap his Pontus ii with my NEO for a week. Apparently, the Pontus ii accordingly to him the sound is not as “coloured”, “artificial” as the Aries ii and is closer to neutral, which will likely more to my liking.

We will likely meet up for the swap in the next couple of weeks and I will be able to report back my impression.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2022 at 7:35 PM Post #1,025 of 1,148
I am using a Freya + as preamp connected through xlr and the combo sounds great. Adds a touch of tube magic to the system when you need it!!! Highly recommended
I'd consider myself a Schiithead. I run 2 DACs iFi NEO and Schiit Gumby plus the TT. Currently using A Sys for my preamp, but want remote. Freya+ has gotten a bit out of budget, but appreciate the shout out for it.

Sep 1, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #1,028 of 1,148
Just got one of these a couple of days ago and I’ve been messing about to find my optimal settings on Audirvana and have noticed something, not sure if it’s strange or if I’m just not well informed enough to make sense of it.

When I change between WASAPI and ASIO my available settings for the unit and the way things are displayed seems to change for some reason, at the most basic level for WASAPI it lists the output device as “Speakers(2-AMR HD+ USB Audio)” and for ASIO the output device is listed as “iFi USB Audio Device”.

Secondly, in ASIO all PCM and DSD sample rates are available 44.1-768 PCM &64-512 DSD, however in WASAPI only the PCM is available while all DSD rates are greyed out.

Thirdly, in WASAPI under the DAC input settings when auto detect MQA devices is selected it recognizes my device as an MQA decoder correctly without a problem, however in ASIO it does not auto detect the DAC as MQA and I have to manually choose MQA Decoder under the “DAC not detected as MQA, use as:” drop down menu.

Lastly and connected to the last question/concern, with both WASAPI and ASIO the correct sample rate for the given track is displayed on the screen of the DAC, however in WASAPI it also displays the correct sample rate on the Audirvana software beneath the software volume control and in the mini player when showing the signal path, whereas with ASIO it does not, the DAC screen will display the proper sample rate but the mini player and the area beneath the volume slider will show a different sample rate.

Can anyone shed some light on this, can provide screenshots if I was unclear.

Sep 20, 2022 at 6:37 AM Post #1,030 of 1,148
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Oct 10, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #1,032 of 1,148
Will ifi make a neo with streaming capabilities? Something of a combo with zen stream in a single box?
Lucky you: if you haven't noticed yet, this happened!

Nov 29, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #1,033 of 1,148
Hey guys,

ANyone compared the Neo to either the Su9 (or do200) or the Liquid Platinum Dac? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back