iFi Audio Nano iDSD discussion + impression
Jul 19, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #751 of 2,063

This sounds like a classic example of a buffer under-run. This stuttering issue can be caused by many things. Sharing USB with other devices, bad cables, hub issues, background process.  If you set J.River buffering of 500ms with large buffers. Tried setting IFI ASIO buffers to the max and  extra safe.  Nothing is sharing the USB bus that the IFI Nano is on. Try memory playback setting in J.River. These are just few of the things you can try. A native 4xDSD file of 3 mins is about a bit more than 500megs and that far amount of data to transfer from the hard drive to the USB pipeline without stuttering. It is like  streaming a bit faster than Blue-ray video on USB. You doing the same thing when you converting to 4xDSD in realtime. The slowest J.Mark speed I have ever seen for DSD playback is 2500 reliably but it sounds like you are converting to 4xDSD in realtime. A JMark of 3000 or better is what the developers of J.River like to see for DSD playback. The J.Mark score is just a guide.

If all fails you can try to use J.River offline conversion tool found under advance tools section of J.River. To see if you get better results.

Yes with JRiver most of the audio processing is done with using just one thread. I like that because you will run into issues with micro stuttering like on my Ethernet port for DLNA which is set for load balancing and off loading for server needs but not good for streaming on my previous setup that was with a slower 4 core CPU. Sometimes you may run into issues with CPU parking and unparking in some cases.  With the 4xDSD you ran into the max of your CPU can handle in your case. Have you tried to turn off speed step in the BIOS if you have it?  Sounds like you still converting PCM to DSD. Have you tried using DSD files in bit streaming mode?

With my old setup I was running into 31% load on the CPU but it was the spikes I was concerned about. Not a problem with copying files but near the edge of what my old setup can do with continuous data streaming.

Jul 20, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #752 of 2,063
New to the headphone/DAC scene, this is my first purchase. I'm very happy. 

Looking at investing in a iUSB Power next, then the iDAC. :D

Go iUSB Power + iPurifier first if you feel it necessary but some prefer the nano iDSD over the iDAC even for PCM performance. I suggest skip the iUSB and iPurifier first, skip the iDAC completely, save a little more, and go straight to the iFi micro iDSD if you'll want a real upgrade.

Jul 20, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #753 of 2,063
  New to the headphone/DAC scene, this is my first purchase. I'm very happy. 

Looking at investing in a iUSB Power next, then the iDAC. 
biggrin.gif

Do check also whether the micro idsd will fit your needs as well, as there are quite some overlap in features

Jul 20, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #754 of 2,063
Go iUSB Power + iPurifier first if you feel it necessary but some prefer the nano iDSD over the iDAC even for PCM performance. I suggest skip the iUSB and iPurifier first, skip the iDAC completely, save a little more, and go straight to the iFi micro iDSD if you'll want a real upgrade.

Some sterling advice, I had bought the Nano iDSD to use on the move, but I can see myself using it more on my desk than anywhere else so the Micro iDSD seems like a decent upgrade. Would the iUSBPower be the way to go after the Micro iDSD?

Jul 20, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #755 of 2,063
Some sterling advice, I had bought the Nano iDSD to use on the move, but I can see myself using it more on my desk than anywhere else so the Micro iDSD seems like a decent upgrade. Would the iUSBPower be the way to go after the Micro iDSD?

According to iFi on their micro iDSD thread, the iUSB Power will have much less noticeable improvement as the micro iDSD can already function directly from its battery while the computer would just be for the data and to charge the battery. iFi actually have a measured output on their website at the iUSB Power section comparing a LiPo battery and the iUSB Power. There is but a slight difference as compared to direct from the computer.

Jul 20, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #756 of 2,063
Sorry for the noob questions, this is all very new to me! So for all intents and purposes the iDSD would suffice for all my headphone needs? I just plan to use USB for output as I don't have a phono capable soundcard, it's purely a gaming card (Sound Blaster Zx), and i don't plan use it with anything but my PC.

Jul 20, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #757 of 2,063
  Sorry for the noob questions, this is all very new to me! So for all intents and purposes the iDSD would suffice for all my headphone needs? I just plan to use USB for output as I don't have a phono capable soundcard, it's purely a gaming card (Sound Blaster Zx), and i don't plan use it with anything but my PC.

That really depends on what you mean by 'headphone needs'. However, unless you have very demanding headphone, you should be alright with nano iDSD

Jul 20, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #758 of 2,063

I don't even know how a soundcard works lol… these are external right? I just stick my USB DAC straight into my laptop, use a nice music player like Audirvana+ (lots of options, they do sound better than like iTunes due to exclusive access to the DAC, etc.) and both iDSDs are DAC/amps so I guess you're good with headphones if you're happy with the sound.

Jul 20, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #759 of 2,063

That really depends on what you mean by 'headphone needs'. However, unless you have very demanding headphone, you should be alright with nano iDSD

I'm unsure of iFi products and whether the Micro iDSD is the best sound I can get from their products for headphone use.

I don't even know how a soundcard works lol… these are external right? I just stick my USB DAC straight into my laptop, use a nice music player like Audirvana+ (lots of options, they do sound better than like iTunes due to exclusive access to the DAC, etc.) and both iDSDs are DAC/amps so I guess you're good with headphones if you're happy with the sound.

My sound card is used for gaming, it's internal, but has no coaxial out or phono, it's designed primarily for headphone use. I should think I'll probably upgrade to the Micro iDSD in the new few weeks and sit on that for a while.

My eventual goal is to get something like the Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies with a nice pair of B&W P7's or something of that calibre, I quite like the look of the Shiit Bitfrost and Lyr combo. But until I get my head around the minefield that is digital music, bit rates and what not, I won't be going too mad.

Who knows, maybe I'll find iFi to be everything I need for my audio needs, but I am a bit of a compulsive upgrader and I like to try out different sounds and gadgets! 
beyersmile.png

Jul 20, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #760 of 2,063

I'm unsure of iFi products and whether the Micro iDSD is the best sound I can get from their products for headphone use.

So we are talking about the Micro and not the Nano? Well, no one know how the Micro iDSD sounds like since it isn't launched yet. But at least spec wise it is almost a monster and can drive just about everything except the most difficult headphone out there. Given my experience with iFi products so far, I do have confidence in their performance.

Jul 20, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #761 of 2,063

My sound card is used for gaming, it's internal, but has no coaxial out or phono, it's designed primarily for headphone use. I should think I'll probably upgrade to the Micro iDSD in the new few weeks and sit on that for a while.

My eventual goal is to get something like the Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies with a nice pair of B&W P7's or something of that calibre, I quite like the look of the Shiit Bitfrost and Lyr combo. But until I get my head around the minefield that is digital music, bit rates and what not, I won't be going too mad.

Who knows, maybe I'll find iFi to be everything I need for my audio needs, but I am a bit of a compulsive upgrader and I like to try out different sounds and gadgets! 
beyersmile.png

The micro iDSD has the most powerful amplifier in the Micro line (they're venturing into the Mini line of products soon which is going to be 100% desktop) and also the most versatile due to its 3 gain settings (can drive some of the most current demanding planar magnetic headphones and 3 sensitivity levels for the most sensitive and hiss-prone IEMs). It also features the most technically advance DAC iFi has produced to date. It should technically sound the best in both the DAC and headphone amp front but what sounds good for you is completely of preference. That being said, it's still being delivered to the first buyers.

USB on the micro iDSD has jitter performance equal to coaxial jitter performance so coaxial would probably only be useful if say your DAP only outputs digital through coaxial out. Coaxial's only up to 24/192kHz performance though. I see you have a lot on your list and you should do some more reading on what you want. Personally I'm going for the micro iDSD and a HiFiMan HE-560 but again, I doubt I'll find a DAC upgrade in the WA7's DAC or in the Schiit Bifrost. A more powerful tube or hybrid desktop headphone amplifier would be an upgrade though for the HE-560. Lastly, I think you can do better than the B&W P7. Happy hunting!!

Jul 20, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #762 of 2,063
Has there been any word on whether the micro idsd includes a linear regulated psu?

I understand from other sites and posted o-scope measurements that the isub unit uses a somewhat noisy switching wallwart and that the output from the iusb is meaningfully improved by using something like a diy sigma11 to power it. I was surprised to read this since I thought the whole point of the iusb was extra clean power and a corresponding decrease in jitter on the usb input.

Jul 20, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #763 of 2,063
Has there been any word on whether the micro idsd includes a linear regulated psu?

I understand from other sites and posted o-scope measurements that the isub unit uses a somewhat noisy switching wallwart and that the output from the iusb is meaningfully improved by using something like a diy sigma11 to power it. I was surprised to read this since I thought the whole point of the iusb was extra clean power and a corresponding decrease in jitter on the usb input.

I honestly don't know actually. Post the question and the concern on the micro iDSD thread!! iFi is likely to reply

Jul 20, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #764 of 2,063

So we are talking about the Micro and not the Nano? Well, no one know how the Micro iDSD sounds like since it isn't launched yet. But at least spec wise it is almost a monster and can drive just about everything except the most difficult headphone out there. Given my experience with iFi products so far, I do have confidence in their performance.

Ah, I had no idea it was unreleased! I currently have the Nano, I really like the sound and was looking for something with a bit more bang, the Micro seemed way go.

This is probably an obscenely redundant question, but what's the ETA for the Micro iDSD?

Jul 20, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #765 of 2,063

The micro iDSD is still battery or USB power device. Just go to the micro iDSD thread.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/711217/idsd-micro-crowd-designed-phase-2-for-octa-adopters-eyes-only-page-97

Users who are viewing this thread

Back