iFi Audio Nano iDSD discussion + impression
Jun 2, 2016 at 5:36 AM Post #1,621 of 2,063
I did open a ticket and I've been left with the impression that I ask too much, and that the deviation it's in the tolerance range of the iFi company... don't know how, but that big gap through which you can see the inside of the product it's not in my tolerance range. But maybe that is the kind of "quality" I should expect from iFi products. Sorry, but I have higher quality standards.

The sad part is that I went to the retailer to get my unit replaced and the new unit had the same gap. I still hope that this is an isolated case or maybe just a bad lot, but I can't get my unit replaced by the retailer as they can't just start opening product after product just to find one that is not flawed.

The units I have seen in reviews didn't have this problem with the RCA's. My unit's deviation is so wide that my RCA's cable plugs are scratched by the case of the Nano, as they have locking barrels (they are RAMM Audio plugs), every time I screw/unscrew them.

Kind of disappointed with the quality and the support until now. I still hope that I would get some help and get my unit replaced with one that has at least a tolerable degree of deviation.

Jun 2, 2016 at 6:16 AM Post #1,622 of 2,063
  I did open a ticket and I've been left with the impression that I ask too much, and that the deviation it's in the tolerance range of the iFi company... don't know how, but that big gap through which you can see the inside of the product it's not in my tolerance range. But maybe that is the kind of "quality" I should expect from iFi products. Sorry, but I have higher quality standards.

The sad part is that I went to the retailer to get my unit replaced and the new unit had the same gap. I still hope that this is an isolated case or maybe just a bad lot, but I can't get my unit replaced by the retailer as they can't just start opening product after product just to find one that is not flawed.

The units I have seen in reviews didn't have this problem with the RCA's. My unit's deviation is so wide that my RCA's cable plugs are scratched by the case of the Nano, as they have locking barrels (they are RAMM Audio plugs), every time I screw/unscrew them.

Kind of disappointed with the quality and the support until now. I still hope that I would get some help and get my unit replaced with one that has at least a tolerable degree of deviation.

Hi,

You can PM us with the dealer info and your name and someone will look into it or add the info to the STS.

In the past, we have come across connectors that are very large that bent the RCA connectors away.

Cheers.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 3, 2016 at 5:54 AM Post #1,624 of 2,063
So, just so that others that might have the same problem as me, it's my fault that I have high standards and that I want a device for which I don't have to force the cable when connecting it to the Nano. The deviation is in "normal" limits for the nano, even tough, as I said, you have to force the plugs into the RCA connectors, forcing that in time might even break the RCA connectors in the Nano, thing that would probably be considered customer induced damage and get my warranty void, and all of this just because of the bad craftsmanship and low QC standards.

Well, for me it's the first and last iFi product, and not for the defective unit, as this can happen to any product no matter the maker, it's understandable, but for the support, that simply refuses to acknowledge that this is a problem and it's not in normal deviation standards.

Just for the sake of it, the first photo is a Nano with a normal RCA deviation, so small you can't even notice it and don't need to force the cable in, and in the second it's my unit...

1. https://i.imgsafe.org/153252c89a.jpg

2. https://i.imgsafe.org/f519fc5135.jpg

Jun 3, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #1,625 of 2,063
So, just so that others that might have the same problem as me, it's my fault that I have high standards and that I want a device for which I don't have to force the cable when connecting it to the Nano. The deviation is in "normal" limits for the nano, even tough, as I said, you have to force the plugs into the RCA connectors, forcing that in time might even break the RCA connectors in the Nano, thing that would probably be considered customer induced damage and get my warranty void, and all of this just because of the bad craftsmanship and low QC standards.

Well, for me it's the first and last iFi product, and not for the defective unit, as this can happen to any product no matter the maker, it's understandable, but for the support, that simply refuses to acknowledge that this is a problem and it's not in normal deviation standards.

Just for the sake of it, the first photo is a Nano with a normal RCA deviation, so small you can't even notice it and don't need to force the cable in, and in the second it's my unit...

1. https://i.imgsafe.org/153252c89a.jpg

2. https://i.imgsafe.org/f519fc5135.jpg

No sympathy here. You are using an inappropriate RCA cable with a $200 DAC/amp and expecting the world to jump because of a problem of your own making.

Jun 3, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #1,627 of 2,063
Which RCA cables are you using? The ones that came with the iDSD?

Seek and ye shall find :wink:

Jun 3, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #1,628 of 2,063

No sympathy here. You are using an inappropriate RCA cable with a $200 DAC/amp and expecting the world to jump because of a problem of your own making.

I'm using 50 euros worth of RAMM Audio RCA plugs. They are normal in shape and small, not even as big as the Audioquest ones. Don't know what you understand from "inappropriate RCA cable". Lol. And you start judging me although you don't even know me... nice... And no, didn't look for your sympathy mate, made me laugh there, just wanted to let people know that there can be units with problems, especially cause it costs 200$. I have used other devices with similar designed RCA housings and didn't have any problems with the RAMM Audio plugs, only with the Nano.

Which RCA cables are you using? The ones that came with the iDSD?

I used the one that came with the Nano, that cable has RCA plugs with shorter than normal barrel so there wasn't much trouble there, but I needed a longer cable and why not, of a better quality. So now I'm using a custom made one, with Mogami cables + RAMM Audio RCA plugs (the Silver & Rhodium version) which improved the sound even, but now I have the problem that I wrote above. It's easy to see to problem from the 2 pictures. I would have replaced the unit without problems. I know I'm a perfectionist, but this is the first time that a customer support says that I have too higher standards...

Anyhow, the post wasn't with the purpose of asking for sympathy, just wanted to let people know of the problems that can rise.

Jun 3, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #1,629 of 2,063
I'm using 50 euros worth of RAMM Audio RCA plugs.

I used the one that came with the Nano, that cable has RCA plugs with shorter than normal barrel so there wasn't much trouble there, but I needed a longer cable and why not, of a better quality. So now I'm using a custom made one, with Mogami cables + RAMM Audio RCA plugs (the Silver & Rhodium version) which improved the sound even, but now I have the problem that I wrote above. It's easy to see to problem from the 2 pictures. I would have replaced the unit without problems. I know I'm a perfectionist, but this is the first time that a customer support says that I have too higher standards...

Anyhow, the post wasn't with the purpose of asking for sympathy, just wanted to let people know of the problems that can rise.

I rest my case :rolleyes:

50 Euro plugs on a 200 Euro DAC.amp :D

Most people will be using cables with this $200 DAC/amp where the plugs cost maybe 5 Euros.

I love the idea that you're a perfectionist. If you're expecting perfection in a DAC/amp for 200 Euros and yet are prepared to waste 50 Euros on plugs that are entirely unsuitable, you are a long way from perfection there.

Come back to us when you have a 2000 Euro DAC/amp and then tell us how much difference your plugs make.

Jun 3, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #1,630 of 2,063
Don't know and don't care what is your frustration, but I think that no matter the price the product should offer a decent level of quality. If you take any **** you buy as is, your problem mate, but because of people like you we have problems like this one regarding quality or products. Back in the day when you payed more, you got more quality, be it build quality or features. Nowadays you pay 1.000 euros for a monitor and you get lots of dead pixels, loads of BLB and other problems. People like you would just take it as is, I don't. If you don't see the problem in the picture of my Nano unit, guess that proves my point.

You got a problem with the plugs, lol. They are way better then the ones from the cable that came with the nano, but for you they are still "inappropriate". Wth are "appropriate" plugs for you? The plugs that are on the cable that came in the box even has larger plugs, but as I said, are shorter in length, so that it won't reach the aluminum case, probably just to avoid the problems I have, but as you can see, normal plugs do have a problem when the RCA connector has so much deviation from it's center.

Jun 3, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #1,631 of 2,063
Bro, those are the exact same rca ports on the nano dsd. You have to kinda push them in they dont glide in or that would mean they are loose and faulty. have you unlocked your loackabke rca barrels. Sorry to ask a dumb question.

Jun 3, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #1,632 of 2,063

Bro, those are the exact same rca ports on the nano dsd. You have to kinda push them in they don't glide in or that would mean they are loose and faulty. have you unlocked your loackabke rca barrels. Sorry to ask a dumb question.

Probably you wanted to quote me :) It's not a dumb question, and yes, I have unlocked the barrels first before inserting them. I'll post a picture tonight with the cables inserted to see the difference :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back