iFi Audio nano iDSD Black Label (TOUR details - PAGE 12 / TOUR participants - page 26 post #386)
Nov 18, 2017 at 3:02 AM Post #302 of 1,008
What kind of battery life are others getting?

I get around four hours until the light goes red, it does continue to work for quite a bit longer though. I'm using the Oppo PM-3, volume at around 11 o'clock.

Nov 18, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #303 of 1,008
Hey Steve... I switched over to the oppo pm-2 and getting about the same battery life as you... I'm more of a 12 o'clock volume listener... the oppo does sound good with it... now looking to get that balanced cable for the pm-2.. :)

Nov 18, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #304 of 1,008
@iFi audio - I am looking for a portable DAC/Amp to pair up with Senn HD6XX (should be getting it in few weeks) and Oneplus 2/ 5T phones. I understand that Oneplus USB port implementation is little different from other phones hence can you or anyone let me know if Nano iDSD Black Label work with Oneplus 2 or 5/5T phones? Any info will be much appreciated ...

Nov 18, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #305 of 1,008
@iFi audio - I am looking for a portable DAC/Amp to pair up with Senn HD6XX (should be getting it in few weeks) and Oneplus 2/ 5T phones. I understand that Oneplus USB port implementation is little different from other phones hence can you or anyone let me know if Nano iDSD Black Label work with Oneplus 2 or 5/5T phones? Any info will be much appreciated ...
It works fine with my redmi note. The cable should be included.

Nov 18, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #307 of 1,008
.. setup the Nano Black and started JRiver once more.. verified that JRiver saw and recognized the Nano... started playing back the test tracks again... and every file played back fine until it tried to playback DSD256...
NO GO .... plays back everything perfect except those files.. No DSD 256 output at all... the firmware that was shipped with the Nano was 5.3D ... now I see where there is a newer dated firware... 5.3C ... just now updated firware to 5.3C and played back the test songs and all songs play back including DSD256 (blue LED)... so that issue seems to be fixed now... thanks...

later... :)
I check out the Nano which also comes with 5.3D and it also will not play DSD 256. At first I would think that 5.3D is the latest but it seems that 5.3C one letter back is more current.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #308 of 1,008
would be interesting to see how nano compares against nano BL

Nov 18, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #309 of 1,008
It all depends on what you're after as far as sound quality and functionality go and which of these aspects is the most important one for you.

Both nano and micro iDSD BLs were designed to be packed with functionalities and portable at the same time, whereas iDAC2 is focused on sound quality in the first place, hence:
  • If you're after sound quality above all else and don't need portable product, iDAC2 is for you.
  • If both aspects are as important, micro iDSD BL is the way to go.
  • If you value portability the most and are in nedd of something even smaller than our micro iDSD BL, nano iDSD BL is the right choice.
Please feel free to ask any additional questions.

OK - I am terrible at this. Had to edit due to an pre-mature post....

I can't figure out how to do the "spoiler" button to remove all the context for those that don't want it / need it, but I'd still appreciate all thoughts. Skip to the TL:DR if you're inclined to help, but backstory isn't your thing. I am specifically interested in this product (or its companions) but as a part of a total solution. Forgiveness in advance if it's in the wrong spot

After a long internet search, this is exactly the type of information I was also looking for. I am a total newcomer to "good headphones", DACs, DAPs, and higher quality digital music (stored as files or streamed). Before I went down this rabbit hole, by music was Vinyl and CDs/SACD/DVD Audio through a relatively expensive (and physically big) mid-fi / hi-fi system and a nice car system for solo commutes. The closest I got to digital streaming etc, was Sonos to pipe music throughout the house for parties etc. I've relocated. It's fantastic, but I now have an apartment vs. a full man-cave for tunes, and I primarily walk or take a train for commuting. Suburban to Uber-Urban. I love music, and I missed it terribly. The Bose noise cancelling phones I got at the airport playing Spotify (even on Ultra) through the iPhone just weren't doing it for me.

A buddy of mine said headphones/digital solutions have come a long way in XX years, so I just purchased my first "real" headphones and a DAC / AMP for a portable/home rig a few months ago. I may have made a few (hopefully not too bad) errors along the way. Mainly not thinking through connections before purchases. I've made it all work with some help, and I'm smiling again listening my music. Honestly I'm blown away in sound quality value for the dollar, portability, and ease of use. It's made me noticeably happier. The journey to even get to where I am has been at least a couple hundred man-hours and a few multiples of that in dollars, but it's surely faster than my home stereo progression over XX years.

Here is what I have today -
HP 1 - Mezze Classic 99 - Standard 3.5mm SE cables and a custom-built balanced set hard-terminated to Sony's new 4.4mm configuration
HP 2 - AKT 8IE MKII. Standard 3.5mm SE cable and their 2.5 mm balanced cable with a plug adapter to 4.4mm. I can't believe how much that silly adapter cost.
DAC / Amp - Sony PHA 2A
Sources - Macbook Pro (Tidal), Desktop PC (Tidal), IPhone 7 (Tidal)

My only current sources are Tidal digital streaming and Tidal downloads. I don't have any plans to buy music to store on other local devices or on a NAS in the foreseeable future. If Tidal allows DLs through their desktop, then I might reconsider.

Currently here's how I break out how/why I use things due to compromises.

Desktop Windows PC: Tidal Desktop App: PHA: Mezze - At Home.
Pros - Best Tidal Quality and full library from streaming.
Cons - None really, but looking to updrade sound have a more permanent set up, but still small.

MacBook: Tidal Desktop App: PHA: Mezze --- Away from home. Same as above, but throw it all in a backpack.
Cons - need AC power and WiFi to take full advantage and have longer listening time.

iPhone: Tidal Mobile App: PHA: Mezze -
Pros - No Wifi Needed (Download from Tidal)
Cons - Battery - Can't charge phone while listening (I may have found a solution); no MQA

iPhone / PHA / A&Ks on the go. Above, but used outdoors etc. Walking commutes.

The one key thing I've learned in the last 3 months is that having a dedicated DAC / Amp in the chain is worth the hassle of carrying it EVERYWHERE.

The sound using balanced output from the Sony PHA is far superior to the SE 3.5mm using the cables / headphones I have. After hearing (to my ears) a magical change on the A&Ks once I got an adapter and switched cables, I paid to have the cable made for the Mezze's. It was not as dramatic a change to my ears, but substantial nonetheless. So now, I probably have a false sense of the magic of BALANCED!!!

I am very interested in the iFi products as an additional solution // replacement to what I've created in this mismatch-o-things. It's important to note that auditioning / A-B comparisons are hard for me due to location and availability. However, I've found a local iFi dealer.

TL:DR

What I'd LOVE.

A way to Play MQA from Tidal when using the MacBook / PC as the source. It looks like MQA is not supported on mobile. From what I understand, even though I've subscribed to the HiFi / Master service, I can't take full advantage of it even through the desktop app using the PHA.
1) I'd like to have a home setup (portable would be great of course) that I can just walk up, plug in my Mezze's, hit play, and enjoy.
2) Not monkey around with swapping headphone cables. Unplugging an adapter is fine.
3) Any desktop solution must have a fairly simple (and not too expensive) way to go from 110 to 220. That's why I really like USB / Battery charge solutions or DC input (outboard transformer) solutions.

After reading all the specs on-line and your post... I am admittedly more confused. I thought getting the MicroDSD BL would be "the thing". However,
1) You say above that the iDAC2 is the choice for quality (which is my priority for home use).
2) The nano (but not the Micro or the iDAC) is the only one that supports MQA, but you can't use through the mobile app.
3) The nano has the balanced (kind of) output.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm going to try and get over to the dealer this week.

Thanks to you and all the head-fi'ers.

-No longer a lurker

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017 at 2:08 AM Post #310 of 1,008
Hi ItsAllInMyHead

Welcome to Head-Fi. That's a long first post. :)

I'm not too sure what your question(s) is/are, My suggestion if you can and being from Hong Kong you definitely can, its best to try all the products that fit your price range and feature requirements, your ears are unique to you, so its better if you can test all the options and see what works for you.

I don't have much experience of iFi gear, but if the Nano BL is anything to go by its very good gear. With that in mind perhaps the iDAC2 for home use and the Nano BL for portable would be a good choice.

Happy hunting. :)

ps. Don't forget to audition the Mojo, Hugo 2 as well. :)

Nov 19, 2017 at 3:02 AM Post #312 of 1,008
Hi ItsAllInMyHead

Welcome to Head-Fi. That's a long first post. :)

I'm not too sure what your question(s) is/are, My suggestion if you can and being from Hong Kong you definitely can, its best to try all the products that fit your price range and feature requirements, your ears are unique to you, so its better if you can test all the options and see what works for you.

I don't have much experience of iFi gear, but if the Nano BL is anything to go by its very good gear. With that in mind perhaps the iDAC2 for home use and the Nano BL for portable would be a good choice.

Happy hunting. :)

ps. Don't forget to audition the Mojo, Hugo 2 as well. :)

Thank you for the welcome!

You answered the key questions re: which iFi products you'd recommend and also kindly put in some others. That's exactly what I need. However, it seems odd to me that iFis only product that has MQA is seemingly designed for portable use and their representative said it was lower on the list for sound vs. portability vs the iDAC. With that said, my only experience with MQA is Tidal. MQA with them is only through their desktop app (not mobile app) so MQA may be used for more "portable friendly" applications suited to the Nano from other providers. Maybe I'm placing too much stress on MQA... Given Tidal is my only source, I was trying to get the best experience out of it.

Thanks for the Chord recommendations! I did audition the Mojo with the Sony I bought along with the Oppo HA-2SE. The Oppo was immediately out of the running (personal taste for sound). I spent about another 4-5 hours with the Chord and Sony. Ultimately, I picked the Sony. The sound to me was a dead heat with a VERY slight nudge to the Sony based solely on my impression and musicality with the SE outputs. I thought the Sony sounded even better with the balanced than the Mojo using the same source and as close to the same cables as we could muster (A&K's stock units). It was hard to truly A-B them given the time to switch out cables on the demos. The other factors were using it with an iPhone with fewer cables and being able to charge while playing. The Hugo 2 is out of my range (for now). Also, neither do MQA, so picking one as an upgrade wasn't really in my thoughts

The other consideration is if I go with an iFi product, the Nano has some version of a balanced output and the others are strictly single-ended. Wondering if I stack yet another adapter on the end of my balanced cables or go back to the SE cables.

Still learning. Thanks for reading and responding. Much appreciated.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017 at 3:51 AM Post #313 of 1,008
Thank you for the welcome!

You answered the key questions re: which iFi products you'd recommend and also kindly put in some others. That's exactly what I need. However, it seems odd to me that iFis only product that has MQA is seemingly designed for portable use and their representative said it was lower on the list for sound vs. portability vs the iDAC. With that said, my only experience with MQA is Tidal. MQA with them is only through their desktop app (not mobile app) so MQA may be used for more "portable friendly" applications suited to the Nano from other providers. Maybe I'm placing too much stress on MQA... Given Tidal is my only source, I was trying to get the best experience out of it.

Thanks for the Chord recommendations! I did audition the Mojo with the Sony I bought along with the Oppo HA-2SE. The Oppo was immediately out of the running (personal taste for sound). I spent about another 4-5 hours with the Chord and Sony. Ultimately, I picked the Sony. The sound to me was a dead heat with a VERY slight nudge to the Sony based solely on my impression and musicality with the SE outputs. I thought the Sony sounded even better with the balanced than the Mojo using the same source and as close to the same cables as we could muster (A&K's stock units). It was hard to truly A-B them given the time to switch out cables on the demos. The other factors were using it with an iPhone with fewer cables and being able to charge while playing. The Hugo 2 is out of my range (for now). Also, neither do MQA, so picking one as an upgrade wasn't really in my thoughts

The other consideration is if I go with an iFi product, the Nano has some version of a balanced output and the others are strictly single-ended. Wondering if I stack yet another adapter on the end of my balanced cables or go back to the SE cables.

Still learning. Thanks for reading and responding. Much appreciated.

No problem. For me this hobby is all about getting the best sound for the right price, but above all its the practicality of the set-up too.

I wouldn't have adapters plugged into adaptors, its a likely point for a connection failure, that always happens at the most inconvenient time (half way through a walk or journey), for me anyway.

I've used the Nano BL both in the car and on walks and despite it having that extra connection from DAP to DAC I think its a great choice to use the full-size USB connection because it appears to be much more reliable than the micro USB connections other DAC's use.

I have some balanced cable setup-up's and do listen to MQA too, I'm not sure either bring much improvement in overall sound quality but I like to experiment with them occasionally. For me 80% of my listening is 16/44 FLAC straight out of a Shanling or Pioneer DAP, because its convenient for day to day usage and sounds great too.

Nov 19, 2017 at 6:31 AM Post #314 of 1,008
TLDR:

What I'd LOVE.

A way to Play MQA from Tidal when using the MacBook / PC as the source. It looks like MQA is not supported on mobile. From what I understand, even though I've subscribed to the HiFi / Master service, I can't take full advantage of it even through the desktop app using the PHA.
1) I'd like to have a home setup (portable would be great of course) that I can just walk up, plug in my Mezze's, hit play, and enjoy.
2) Not monkey around with swapping headphone cables. Unplugging an adapter is fine.
3) Any desktop solution must have a fairly simple (and not too expensive) way to go from 110 to 220. That's why I really like USB / Battery charge solutions or DC input (outboard transformer) solutions.

After reading all the specs on-line and your post... I am admittedly more confused. I thought getting the MicroDSD BL would be "the thing". However,
1) You say above that the iDAC2 is the choice for quality (which is my priority for home use).
2) The nano (but not the Micro or the iDAC) is the only one that supports MQA, but you can't use through the mobile app.
3) The nano has the balanced (kind of) output.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm going to try and get over to the dealer this week.

Thanks to you and all the head-fi'ers.

-No longer a lurker
MQA is still very new. Many are still wondering if it will take off or is just a fad that will wither and die like so many others. Many manufacturers are unprepared for MQA to take off. You must be patient. If you cannot be patient then your choices will be limited for a while yet.

iFi Audio is working on MQA for its other devices. So far that is all we know. Nothing is guaranteed.

All the iFi products are of excellent quality and are among the best at their price point, often beating more expensive products. Only the original iDAC lets the side down. The iDAC2 is superb and should be paired with a micro iCAN (or micro iCAN SE if you need more power). Add an iPurifier2 and you might wonder why you thought you needed MQA.

Nov 19, 2017 at 6:50 AM Post #315 of 1,008
MQA is still very new. Many are still wondering if it will take off or is just a fad that will wither and die like so many others. Many manufacturers are unprepared for MQA to take off. You must be patient. If you cannot be patient then your choices will be limited for a while yet.

iFi Audio is working on MQA for its other devices. So far that is all we know. Nothing is guaranteed.

All the iFi products are of excellent quality and are among the best at their price point, often beating more expensive products. Only the original iDAC lets the side down. The iDAC2 is superb and should be paired with a micro iCAN (or micro iCAN SE if you need more power). Add an iPurifier2 and you might wonder why you thought you needed MQA.

Thanks so much for the added info. I have plenty of time, but that'll teach me to latch onto a new shiny object (MQA) in Tidal before doing more research. I have a chance to check out the iFi line later in the week I hope, and the exact things you mentioned are on my list (along with that funky Genesis cable). I just want to build some level of confidence that I'm looking at the right things and make sure they're in stock before I make the trip.

However, if you'll indulge a few newb questions - with all else remaining equal (I know it never does) wouldn't having MQA decoding / rendering (forgive me while I learn the right terms) with all the other things you mention be a plus? If the original source file is better (again all else remaining the same) wouldn't that be better? It seems iFi is rapidly updating their line and firmware updates were implied for some products. If I had even a reasonable level of confidence that the product I got wouldn't be surpassed and/or that adding MQA support to something like the iDAC2 would happen, I'd pull the trigger this week. It seems the DAC on the new Nano BL is "better" than that in the iDAC2, but I truly just don't have a clue. That's why I latched on to the gentleman from iFi's comment. He clearly put his own products in an order, but it just didn't make sense to me... I'd think balanced output and the newest DAC with MQA and all the fancy black label innards would be the king. Learning, learning, learning....

You guys are great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back