iFi Audio nano iDSD Black Label (TOUR details - PAGE 12 / TOUR participants - page 26 post #386)
Feb 14, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #916 of 1,008
Hi, new Nano user here (bought one pre-owned)

First impressions were great, very compact and well built, sound quality is pretty good, the overall signature was relatively the same with the Micro BL. But I have a few questions

1/ I've seen here some users are happy with the Nano and the hard-to-drive Sennheiser HD600/HD650 whereas in my local group they said that even the Micro(which is much higher in output power) is only adequate for listening to these cans, not properly driving them.

2/ Will it worth to upgrade to xDSD considering that 95% of the time I'll be using them wired to my desktop.

Thanks in advance.
If you are concerned with power then I would look into a desktop amp, lots of good budget options. I love my JDS Labs Atom and it's only $100. Pairs great with the Nano IMO

Feb 14, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #917 of 1,008
If you are concerned with power then I would look into a desktop amp, lots of good budget options. I love my JDS Labs Atom and it's only $100. Pairs great with the Nano IMO
Yeah, but I want to keep it compact (1 device), my 650 is coming in 2-3 days, I'll test how it perform with the nano bl. After some Google serching I found that many claims the nano can drives 650 well enough.

Feb 22, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #919 of 1,008
1582382933101.png

Feb 22, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #920 of 1,008
I updated to GTO last week, now if I pause the music for a while the Nano light will go red, then after 10-15 min it starts blinking and I have to unplug the USB cable completely to get my audio back.

Feb 22, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #921 of 1,008
I updated to GTO last week, now if I pause the music for a while the Nano light will go red, then after 10-15 min it starts blinking and I have to unplug the USB cable completely to get my audio back.
Maybe the battery is no longer holding a complete charge? I would try to completely charged it, without music playback, and see how it goes from there. It can also mean something went wrong with the update but I doubt it.
1582401184035.png

Feb 23, 2020 at 5:25 AM Post #922 of 1,008
uh, not really answering my question tho.

actually i have asked ifi via supports they said both filters (listen / measure) are replaced by the GTO.

edit:
question :
before i flash the firmware to the 5.3c, if i dont like the GTO filters sounds, can i just flash back to the 5.3 firmware or is there any specific steps on how to "downgrade" the firmware?

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #923 of 1,008
uh, not really answering my question tho.

actually i have asked ifi via supports they said both filters (listen / measure) are replaced by the GTO.

edit:
question :
before i flash the firmware to the 5.3c, if i dont like the GTO filters sounds, can i just flash back to the 5.3 firmware or is there any specific steps on how to "downgrade" the firmware?
Re: GTO filter, the image I've posted was taken from iFi site, and it states that GTO replaces Minimum Phase Filter, i.e., "Listen" filter. It omits the "Measure" filter, so I read it as replacing only the "Listen". If someone from iFi support told you otherwise, that's a iFi contradiction. Sorry if it didn't help.

Re: flashing back, I've done it following the site's instructions, simply flashing the v5.3, without any problem.

Feb 23, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #924 of 1,008
Maybe the battery is no longer holding a complete charge? I would try to completely charged it, without music playback, and see how it goes from there. It can also mean something went wrong with the update but I doubt it.
1582401184035.png
I'm plugged into my MacBook via USB so I don't understand how it wouldn't be always getting a charge.

Feb 23, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #925 of 1,008
I don't have the manual at hand, but if I remenber correctly, if you turn the nano on before it getting power from an out source, it will work on battery. I believe this is an excellent time to... RT_M :wink:

Feb 28, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #926 of 1,008
My unit seems to died out in a way like none other audio devices I've ever had did. It was perfectly fine left off and after 2 days just stopped to be detected, on Windows, Android, iOS, tried on different devices. Leds shows everything is ok but not every time, sometimes blue goes red when I turn down the volumne knob to minimum. Well, I love the sound of it... until it works :] I'm going to replace the battery by myself since 40 or more euros for open it up and plug in a new generic 3,7 V accu is pretty laughable. Must check again if I wrote to Ifi or to Apple :)

Apr 15, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #927 of 1,008
My unit seems to died out in a way like none other audio devices I've ever had did. It was perfectly fine left off and after 2 days just stopped to be detected, on Windows, Android, iOS, tried on different devices. Leds shows everything is ok but not every time, sometimes blue goes red when I turn down the volumne knob to minimum. Well, I love the sound of it... until it works :] I'm going to replace the battery by myself since 40 or more euros for open it up and plug in a new generic 3,7 V accu is pretty laughable. Must check again if I wrote to Ifi or to Apple :)

Have you tried contacting our support about a battery replacement?

I don't have the manual at hand, but if I remenber correctly, if you turn the nano on before it getting power from an out source, it will work on battery.

Yes, it will.

f someone from iFi support told you otherwise, that's a iFi contradiction.

We might have a typo in there, but in principle the GTO replaces all other PCM filters.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 21, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #928 of 1,008
Since I unsubscribed from Tidal (need to cutback on personal expenses for the time being), I switched backed to the 5.2 firmware on my Nano since I prefer the sound of the minimum phase filter over the GTO filter. I mainly use the Nano with IEMs and headphones and I hear the minimum phase filter giving a slightly wider, more lively presentation than the drier sounding GTO filter. Another thing I noticed when using the older 5.2 firmware with my Hidizs AP80 dap is that now I can listen to my 192khz and 96khz flac files on the AP80 without encountering audio errors - files played back but would sound like they were being played at the wrong sample rate. This was never a problem connected to my MBP. The MBP is the device I mostly use my Nano so I never really complained much about the sample rate issue with the AP80 and took it as a trade-off when using Tidal for MQA files.

Apr 27, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #929 of 1,008
Hey just needed to give an immense shout out to the iFi team. Love their products - have Nano BL and HipDac - both great products. Excellent neutral sounding amp / dacs - clarity at its' best. Had a minor issue and willing to pay. European office looked to see if they had a missing part and forwarded to the USA office and they provided replacement. Much appreciation especially during these unprecedented times. Great company to partner with - many thanks. Great group of people.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #930 of 1,008
Since I unsubscribed from Tidal (need to cutback on personal expenses for the time being), I switched backed to the 5.2 firmware on my Nano since I prefer the sound of the minimum phase filter over the GTO filter. I mainly use the Nano with IEMs and headphones and I hear the minimum phase filter giving a slightly wider, more lively presentation than the drier sounding GTO filter. Another thing I noticed when using the older 5.2 firmware with my Hidizs AP80 dap is that now I can listen to my 192khz and 96khz flac files on the AP80 without encountering audio errors - files played back but would sound like they were being played at the wrong sample rate. This was never a problem connected to my MBP. The MBP is the device I mostly use my Nano so I never really complained much about the sample rate issue with the AP80 and took it as a trade-off when using Tidal for MQA files.
I used to use my nano with my MBP and completely agree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back