iFi Audio nano iDSD Black Label (TOUR details - PAGE 12 / TOUR participants - page 26 post #386)
Nov 20, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #331 of 1,008
Normally as I understand the Nano circuit topology, I would not excepted a increase in volume since the Nano is not using inverted signal for each channel. At this point I would say that you still have a miss-wiring issue. Make sure you do not have any shorts as well since you are working with very small connections. I have heard of this issue before with other devices and in one case the user had both channels going to the same driver. That would increase the gain but the distortion would be very high. One time I did had a cable whisper connection that made a mess.
Thanks, @john57. I did check to make sure there was no continuity between any of the tip/rings/sleeve, but it is still likely that there was a wiring issue, since all the readily available 3.5mm TRRS plugs I could find were extremely poor quality (and I’m no soldering expert either). Unfortunately, I’ve already replaced the plug with a TRS and boxed the Nano up for return, so I can’t do anymore testing. I just wanted to put it out there in case anyone else had a similar result.

Nov 20, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #332 of 1,008
OK - I am terrible at this. Had to edit due to an pre-mature post....

No, you're not. All good.

After reading all the specs on-line and your post... I am admittedly more confused. I thought getting the MicroDSD BL would be "the thing". However,
1) You say above that the iDAC2 is the choice for quality (which is my priority for home use).
2) The nano (but not the Micro or the iDAC) is the only one that supports MQA, but you can't use through the mobile app.
3) The nano has the balanced (kind of) output.

0) Getting micro iDSD Bl might be 'the thing' for you indeed. You just need to ask yourself what is the most important thing you're after and move accordingly. And if it turns out that you want to be flexible with your purchase above all else, by all means go for BL and enjoy.
1) It is indeed. Though it's not portable, it was designed to be sound quality oriented above all else. We simply could squeeze extra bit out of this product in this regard because it's mainly a DAC and not exceptionally universal, portable do-it-all (our BL products) kind of a device. And having said that, iDAC2 offers the best sound quality in our current lineup, but we tend to think that we did pretty good job with our BL range as well :)
2) For now it is indeed.
3) Yes.

If you really want MQA, the only viable and iFi related option for now is quite clear - nano iDSD BL.

You also can ask your local iFi representative/distributor to try our goods. Our return policy is generous.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Nov 21, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #333 of 1,008
No, you're not. All good.

0) Getting micro iDSD Bl might be 'the thing' for you indeed. You just need to ask yourself what is the most important thing you're after and move accordingly. And if it turns out that you want to be flexible with your purchase above all else, by all means go for BL and enjoy.
1) It is indeed. Though it's not portable, it was designed to be sound quality oriented above all else. We simply could squeeze extra bit out of this product in this regard because it's mainly a DAC and not exceptionally universal, portable do-it-all (our BL products) kind of a device. And having said that, iDAC2 offers the best sound quality in our current lineup, but we tend to think that we did pretty good job with our BL range as well :)
2) For now it is indeed.
3) Yes.

If you really want MQA, the only viable and iFi related option for now is quite clear - nano iDSD BL.

You also can ask your local iFi representative/distributor to try our goods. Our return policy is generous.

Thank you very much. I've decided that the path forward is to go and play at the local iFi store and see what they have in stock while crossing my fingers that they have a Nano BL and/or being included in your tour. It looks like I really can't go wrong at that price point, so I'm getting one for "on the go" use regardless of other choices. The folks here have been extremely helpful, but I could use one tiny bit of help "straight from the source" with no filtering (I'll avoid future puns).

You just need to ask yourself what is the most important thing you're after and move accordingly.

It really just is sound quality above all the others.

Here's where I need help. (I think that) my A&K T8IE MKIIs may be particularly susceptible to whatever "crosstalk" is (16 ohm impedance and small wires (relative)) based on what I've gathered here on Head-Fi. Before I even knew the term - I thought I needed balanced b/c of the (to my ears) night and day change when switching from the SE output to the balanced output (and switching the stock cables) through the PHA-2A, and also listening to them on a Chord Mojo. I don't want to imply that they were unlistenable using SE, but, I'll say it this way - I wasn't even going to buy them until I switched to balanced at the store. I thought they were overpriced for the sound quality. When I switched to the balanced configuration - WOW!

Do you think (or has anyone on your staff perhaps checked out the A&Ks with your gear) that your balanced configuration is a consideration for my phones? I'm still going to get an adapter and play around, but an expert opinion is valued. These silly adapters cost way more than I thought.

If I get my hands on some of the iFi products this week, I'll let everyone know. Then if anyone wants impressions, I'd be happy to share.

Thank you for the information and kind response.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #335 of 1,008
Will this one be a nice match to the Sennheiser HD 6XX? I was thinking on getting the micro iDSD BL but im not really into all those filters, just want to have a nice portable DAC with good AMP

A nice match - should be .

Better than iDSD BL, I don't think it is designed to be - iDSD BL is pretty much the top end DAC/AMP from iFi, trading blows with Hugo - where iDSD Nano should do so with Mojo.

Nov 21, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #336 of 1,008
:frowning2:. Having a busyed computer sucks. Would've really wanted to get in on this (still only got my phone). But I'm excited to read/watch the impressions that are to come.

Nov 21, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #338 of 1,008
How do you take advantageous the s balanced system? All my balanced iem cables are 2.5 mm trrs. I love the sound single ended and really want to see how this scales up with balanced
buy an adapter to 3.5mm trrs

Nov 22, 2017 at 5:05 AM Post #341 of 1,008
How do you take advantageous the s balanced system? All my balanced iem cables are 2.5 mm trrs. I love the sound single ended and really want to see how this scales up with balanced

I'm in the same boat. I have one 4.4mm balanced and one 2.5mm (A&K) balanced, and I want to try these out. I've learned that there are 2 configurations for 2.5mm TRRS, so be sure you get the correct adapter. You may know this, but I didn't. Someone posted a link to this in another forum thread. I thought it was super helpful. Doesn't have my 4.4 layout, but I found that elsewhere. http://www.diyaudioblog.com/2016/02/headphone-connectors-pins-pinouts-for.html

Nov 22, 2017 at 5:20 AM Post #343 of 1,008
Many thanks for that. I think iFi should make this clear to avoid confusion for idiots like me :)

Pity the 2.5mm trrs wasn't adopted here.
it still can work with an adapter,
those are inexpensive. can pm me for referral to a cheap one

Nov 22, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #344 of 1,008
Dear all. Sorry for asking but I would need some help. I am using a sonic transporter i5 plus a Mrendu 1.4. and Roon. For some reason, when upsampling I just get DSD128 and not DSD256. It just show up 64DSD and 128DSD. I already did the firmware update. Any hints? Also despite the fact that in Roon I see the MQA decoding in the first step, the collor that shows up is a kind of white and not magenta (96 and 192). I am doing something wrong? Tks.

Nov 23, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #345 of 1,008
Dear all. Sorry for asking but I would need some help. I am using a sonic transporter i5 plus a Mrendu 1.4. and Roon. For some reason, when upsampling I just get DSD128 and not DSD256. It just show up 64DSD and 128DSD. I already did the firmware update. Any hints? Also despite the fact that in Roon I see the MQA decoding in the first step, the collor that shows up is a kind of white and not magenta (96 and 192). I am doing something wrong? Tks.
All of this is covered in this thread already. All you have to do is read it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back