iFi audio iPower X - The Official Thread
Jul 12, 2022 at 3:36 AM Post #376 of 505
I have a question about the iPower Elite. I would want to use it with a Pro-ject cd box ds2 t CD transport but am unsure about which voltage of iPower Elite to buy. It comes in 5v,12v,15v and 24v. The power spec of the Pro-ject from their website is as follows "Outboard power supply: 9V/2A DC; 220 - 240V, 50Hz" https://www.project-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/CDBoxDS2T-EN.pdf. Although strangely the Henley website lists the outboard power supply as 18V/1000mA DC. https://www.henleyaudio.co.uk/products/CD-Box-DS2-T

So I am totally clueless when it comes to these things, would it just be as simple as buying the 24v iPower Elite as that would easily cope with whatever the power requirements of the Pro-ject CD are - given that the two websites above seem to differ about the power supply? Cost doesn't matter because the iPower Elite costs £299 no matter if you buy 5v or 24v.

Thanks, and sorry for the clunky question.

Jul 12, 2022 at 5:14 AM Post #377 of 505
I have a question about the iPower Elite. I would want to use it with a Pro-ject cd box ds2 t CD transport but am unsure about which voltage of iPower Elite to buy. It comes in 5v,12v,15v and 24v. The power spec of the Pro-ject from their website is as follows "Outboard power supply: 9V/2A DC; 220 - 240V, 50Hz" https://www.project-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/CDBoxDS2T-EN.pdf. Although strangely the Henley website lists the outboard power supply as 18V/1000mA DC. https://www.henleyaudio.co.uk/products/CD-Box-DS2-T

So I am totally clueless when it comes to these things, would it just be as simple as buying the 24v iPower Elite as that would easily cope with whatever the power requirements of the Pro-ject CD are - given that the two websites above seem to differ about the power supply? Cost doesn't matter because the iPower Elite costs £299 no matter if you buy 5v or 24v.

Just I fast reply- as I am no expert on this so wait for better feedback. But Don’t like in don’t use a power supply with higher voltage! The 24v is too much. The voltage need to match. It doesn’t matter if the external supply has higher A-rating as the device will only draw the A it needs. But the A must not be less then the device requires.

I would contact ifi directly with this. It seems to me they don’t have a elite that matches your needs.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2022 at 5:37 AM Post #378 of 505
Hi, thanks I have contacted them.

Meanwhile I found the manual for the CD player online and it gives the following spec

Trigger input: 12V on/off detector Trigger output: 12V Outboard power supply:
9V/2.000mA DC; suitable for your country's mains supply
Power consumption: 300 - 1.500mA DC, <1W in standby

So I'm not sure if it's the 12v or the 9v from the spec above that is relevant - but either way a 12v should do the job? I know it is not a match but is that a major performance issue?

Jul 12, 2022 at 5:42 AM Post #379 of 505

Meanwhile I found the manual for the CD player online and it gives the following spec

So I'm not sure if it's the 12v or the 9v from the spec above that is relevant - but either way a 12v should do the job? I know it is not a match but is that a major performance issue?
I wouldn’t worry about performance issues but more about if the higher voltage fry’s and kills your device. I can’t say if it’s safe, sorry

Jul 12, 2022 at 5:48 AM Post #380 of 505

Forget the trigger data, that's just communication between devices, to turn on/off automaticly.
What you need is a power supply that outputs 9V and 2A.
As stated by other users, the Volt has to be 9V, or you may fry your device. The Ampere has to be 2A or more, as the device only draws what it needs.

Jul 12, 2022 at 5:58 AM Post #381 of 505
Forget the trigger data, that's just communication between devices, to turn on/off automaticly.
As stated by other users, the Volt has to be 9V, or you may fry your device. The Ampere has to be 2A or more, as the device only draws what it needs.
Fantastic, great to get this kind of advice here - cheers

can anybody recommend an LPS that would be compatible with my Pro Ject CD transport?

Jul 12, 2022 at 8:55 AM Post #383 of 505
Your welcome. I have heard very good things about Keces - you could look into that.
Thanks, perhaps a bit too expensive for me.
Please keep them coming if anybody else has any recommendations.
The thing that puzzles me is would any "audio" LPS that handled 9v do the trick? I often see brands advertising their LPS to be used with specific streamers and DACs, so are these LPS's custom made for these streamers and DACs or are the LPS companies just hitching on the fame of the hifi brands and they could be used with any streamer or DAC?

Jul 12, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #384 of 505

Just I fast reply- as I am no expert on this so wait for better feedback. But Don’t like in don’t use a power supply with higher voltage! The 24v is too much. The voltage need to match. It doesn’t matter if the external supply has higher A-rating as the device will only draw the A it needs. But the A must not be less then the device requires.

I would contact ifi directly with this. It seems to me they don’t have a elite that matches your needs.

Great advice from @MSXX here - you would need to find an 18v PSU that fits your needs.

@vmiguel is correct here :)

Jul 12, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #385 of 505
Before I share the power cord I was referring to and where to get it, I want to say that I do not know the sellers and have never tried a Chinese clone of an audiophile cable before I got this power cable. Of the 60+ audiophile power cables I have tried (laughing as I type this) this is likely the best under $1000 power cord I have listened to. This power cord is plugged into my source which is a Windows 10 based PC and a custom isolation PLC. For reference, headphones are Audeze LCD-XC (2021 model) and is EQed, amp is Schitt Jotunheim 2 and DAC is Schitt Modius. My setup is highly tweaked but this post is not about that. As an aside, the reason I even purchased this cable was two clients of mine that are audiophiles have the original cables on mono blocks that power their Wilson speakers. They told me the clone cables perform 95% of the original cables and are 1/170th of the price! They told me this with straight faces. I laughed so hard I was tearing. They dared me to try the cable and the rest is history. I have since purchased and am using the ethernet cable, digital, balanced XLR and on order now the Gold version of the power cord.

The Chinese clone power cord is a Nordost Odin 2. I will include some pics of my cable. Now this cable is not all sunshine and roses. Below I will list in my opinion, in my system the pro and cons. I have not tried this cable anywhere else in my setup because it performs so well where it is. The other power cables currently in my setup lean a tad to the warmer side which are 2 XLO Reference (hard wired to isolation PLCs), Electro Glide - Electro Glide Signature (amp), custom power cord designed with Alan Maher based off of the XLO Signature wire. All of these cables came from my home reference setup which is currently in storage. So no, I did not purchase expensive cables for the headphone rig. I have a lot of high end cables before the headphone rig. Oh, the power cable that was on the computer before was a VH-Audio Flavor 3, also tried a ZU Event power light and couple others I can't remember now I was not fond of. The Odin 2 clone out performed these be huge margins.

The Pros:
- Dirt cheap, I paid $102.70 shipped for a 1.2 meter version
- Compared to the cables that was powering the computer before, it added a deeper and wider soundstage, more micro resolution and clarity throughout the frequency spectrum, quicker and better PRAT. Also felt like the lower and higher frequency extremes were expanded, which kind of surprised me.
- Fast, between pure copper and pure silver speed. What I mean is a pure silver power cord feels very quick when listening, this feels close but not quite as fast.
- Build quality from inspection is very good. Connectors appear of high quality with highly polished contacts. I doubt I could buy connectors of this quality for what was paid for the entire assembled cable.
- Balanced sonically, meaning did not emphasize any frequency range on my setup.
- I have listened to the original Nordost Odin 2 power cable on 3 home reference systems. In all three cases never preferred the cable to another when doing comparisons. The reason is the cable is fast, exceptional resolution BUT was not musical to me. The clone is not quite as fast, not quite in the league of the original in the resolution dept and not as neutral leaning as the original. The clone feels more musical. Pretty much what my clients told me.
- Cable performance is elevated when Furutech Nano Liquid is applied to contacts, also Oyaide EMI tape at the two connector ends improve performance.
- In the 25 years I have been in this hobby this is the best bang for $ power cord I have experienced. Performance is amazing if Furutech Nano Liquid is applied to contacts, also Oyaide EMI tape is used.

The Negatives:
- Took 3 weeks to reach California
- Leans a tad toward neutral. So if a system or component already leans neutral this cable may not work well in that system. Probably work really well on a tube component, which I have not tried yet.
- If a cable burner is not used on this cable to condition it, takes "at least" 600 hours for the cable to come into its own. So patience is required.

Sorry for the long post, but I thought just telling you what the cable is would be of little value. Hopefully this was helpful. As a closing thought, the more resolving a system and discerning a lister is, the more cables matter. Here is where I purchased it from:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/325...tList_2002815841771.5&gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt
Wow! The power cord is out for delivery...12 days...not bad.

Jul 12, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #386 of 505
Wow! The power cord is out for delivery...12 days...not bad.
I ordered and received a 1.5m Odin Gold which I am burning in now. Will be interesting to see how I feel about it once burned in.

Jul 12, 2022 at 4:46 PM Post #387 of 505
I ordered and received a 1.5m Odin Gold which I am burning in now. Will be interesting to see how I feel about it once burned in.
So how long will you burn the cable in for?

Jul 12, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #388 of 505
So how long will you burn the cable in for?
Before any serious listening at least 300 hours (about 13 days 24/7). Full burn in with these silver cables take 500+ hours. I installed the Odin Gold power cord yesterday evening. Between then and now I have spent around 4 hours listening to it and the sonic swings are wide and extremely obvious. I have learned not to judge until there is a minimal amount of time with current through power cables. On resolving systems the sonic swings are very apparent.

Jul 13, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #389 of 505
Just got the cable: that thing is huge! I was shocked! Very substantial....not what I was expecting!
Before any serious listening at least 300 hours (about 13 days 24/7). Full burn in with these silver cables take 500+ hours. I installed the Odin Gold power cord yesterday evening. Between then and now I have spent around 4 hours listening to it and the sonic swings are wide and extremely obvious. I have learned not to judge until there is a minimal amount of time with current through power cables. On resolving systems the sonic swings are very apparent.

Jul 13, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #390 of 505
Just got the cable: that thing is huge! I was shocked! Very substantial....not what I was expecting!
Be prepared for the break-in period. What power cord is the Odin 2 cable replacing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back