iFi audio iDSD Signature - The saga continues!
Feb 28, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #1,261 of 2,172
Same here. Last fall I went to a shop and tried many different headphones. After several hours I selected the HD800S as my preferred HP. A few weeks later I got the iDSD Signature and for me it's just the right DAC/AMP (transportable, battery capacity, sound). I was in the same boat as you (thinking about a desktop AMP/DAC) but after many hours with the HD800S+iDSD Signature I stopped looking around for another device.
Yes, I understand. But for the moment I like the hd 800s so much that I am afraid to do them short with the Signature, or something else give me magical + because the Signature and 800s is already magical and pure. I think it is al about trust. Trusting my own ears. Trust my tast. Trust my love. And besides this: it is a hobby like no other. Last night I listen on You Tube at a concert of Cream with a magnificent drum solo from Ginger Baker... in my white room. That was a great evening in Corona and poetry with sticks.

Mar 1, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #1,262 of 2,172
Broke out the rubber bands. Nothing like strapping something to your iPhone.

ufiPbxF.jpg

Mar 2, 2021 at 10:58 PM Post #1,263 of 2,172
@iFi audio Hello there! I’m about to receive my ifi idsd micro signature tomorrow and I had a question about charging rates. I believe I read the idsd micro signature can receive a charge rate of 1.5A but my question is can I plug a Anker high output charger into the idsd micro? The Anker charger can output (max) 2.4A. Will the the idsd just limit the incoming current to 1.5A or will it receive all 2.4A and be damaged?

I’ve attached a pic of the chargers specs for your reference.

Thanks!

Attachments

• F1E3675E-C0F4-46FD-8A42-618B6EE1B0FF.jpeg
    F1E3675E-C0F4-46FD-8A42-618B6EE1B0FF.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Mar 3, 2021 at 1:11 AM Post #1,264 of 2,172
Broke out the rubber bands. Nothing like strapping something to your iPhone.

ufiPbxF.jpg

That's an insane set-up, to even just be walking around with! Hope you are enjoying your siggy :)
@iFi audio Hello there! I’m about to receive my ifi idsd micro signature tomorrow and I had a question about charging rates. I believe I read the idsd micro signature can receive a charge rate of 1.5A but my question is can I plug a Anker high output charger into the idsd micro? The Anker charger can output (max) 2.4A. Will the the idsd just limit the incoming current to 1.5A or will it receive all 2.4A and be damaged?

Thanks!

I will double-check this for you tomorrow morning when the US team gets back in the office, great question!

Mar 5, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #1,267 of 2,172
C1E17867-34D5-48AB-9F43-E58AED8725A5.jpeg
Signature + Empyrean is an amazing match.
Not sure if anyone does this too, but I use nanotape for seamless, removable and ultra strong attachment to my old Note9. Big screen not covered by any rubber bands and it stands perfectly on its side full screen when on a desk.

Mar 5, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #1,268 of 2,172

Thanks!

For the long term, the team recommended sticking with a 1.5A charger. Sorry for the inconvenience!
I found my best setup for mobile listening:

Micro iDSD Signature
Focal Elegia
Samsung Tab S7

All fits inside the awesome Peak Design Everyday Sling 6L

Awesome set-up! Love all of peak design's stuff, I use one of their camera straps with my EOS R T7i!

C1E17867-34D5-48AB-9F43-E58AED8725A5.jpegSignature + Empyrean is an amazing match.

Another beautiful set-up as well!

Not sure if anyone does this too, but I use nanotape for seamless, removable and ultra strong attachment to my old Note9. Big screen not covered by any rubber bands and it stands perfectly on its side full screen when on a desk.

Where do you get this nanotape? I've been on the rubber band life for ages.

Mar 5, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #1,270 of 2,172
Mar 6, 2021 at 2:11 AM Post #1,271 of 2,172
Hi fellas. I don't recall that this has been discussed already but I connected my iFi Signature to a transparent external DAC (specifically SMSL SH-9 THX) and it was a revelation. It really opened up the iFi Signature sound and the improvements brought about by X-Bass and 3D were more audible. They drove my Empyreans to new places. The Empyreans are great headphones but what's really good about them is that it really showcases the qualities of any DAC/AMP you connect it to and boy did the Signature + THX get showcased.

A couple of days ago I was auditioning the whole pro idsd suite because I wanted to see what an upgraded iFi house sound would be like (compared to my ultimate end goal Chord TT2 but I digress). Thankfully I didn't purchase anything yet because apparently all I needed was an inexpensive THX amp to maximize the Signature's DAC capabilities. Signature is definitely my favorite portable (prefer the house sound over the more analytical Diablo) and it's reaaally good as a portable device but apparently its DAC portion is capable of so much MORE than what its small amp portion allows it to do. On a transparent desktop amp the soundstage increased and the details and imaging significantly improved. Do yourself a favor and try it out because if you like the iFi Signature now, you should listen to the big improvements to its sound.

Mar 6, 2021 at 2:17 AM Post #1,272 of 2,172
Hi fellas. I don't recall that this has been discussed already but I connected my iFi Signature to a transparent external DAC (specifically SMSL SH-9 THX) and it was a revelation. It really opened up the iFi Signature sound and the improvements brought about by X-Bass and 3D were more audible. They drove my Empyreans to new places. The Empyreans are great headphones but what's really good about them is that it really showcases the qualities of any DAC/AMP you connect it to and boy did the Signature + THX get showcased.

A couple of days ago I was auditioning the whole pro idsd suite because I wanted to see what an upgraded iFi house sound would be like (compared to my ultimate end goal Chord TT2 but I digress). Thankfully I didn't purchase anything yet because apparently all I needed was an inexpensive THX amp to maximize the Signature's DAC capabilities. Signature is definitely my favorite portable (prefer the house sound over the more analytical Diablo) and it's reaaally good as a portable device but apparently its DAC portion is capable of so much MORE than what its small amp portion allows it to do. On a transparent desktop amp the soundstage increased and the details and imaging significantly improved. Do yourself a favor and try it out because if you like the iFi Signature now, you should listen to the big improvements to its sound.
Thank you, that is a great advice. Because we can't get the SMSL SH-9 not here, I bought the SMSL sp200. After a couple of day my Sennheiser hd 800s started to sing. Like a bird who set free. Cristal clear sound, more details and everything with much more at ease. Thanks.

Mar 6, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #1,273 of 2,172
I ordered the Massdrop THX AAA ONE amp ($149. Be here in a couple of days) which is the single ended/stripped down version of the 789. I'm going to use it with my iDSD Black Label rig which includes significant enhancements to the USB DAC with iGalvanic and the iPurifier3 decrappifiers. I'm hoping that even though I don't own the Signature (yet), that the AAA ONE will give a nice increase in performance such that I don't need to upgrade.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #1,274 of 2,172
I love the iFi iDSD Signature!! But i wish it had a portable streamer attachment!

iFi iDSD Signature - TH610 Lawton Black Limba by Hilton, on Flickr

Here's my temporary streamer stack with a Chromecast audio and mini power brick, using optical into the iDSD.
Look Ma!... 24bit 96k tether free! I set the Chromecast Audio up to connect to my phone in hotspot mode (using another tablet with google home running just to set it up) so I can use it while out and about.

iFi iDSD Signature Chromcast Audio TOSLINK by Hilton, on Flickr

iFi iDSD Signature Chromcast Audio TOSLINK by Hilton, on Flickr

I've found all the components and parts to try make a really neat small and tidy aluminium box that is exactly the same width (63.5mm), length (156mm) of the iDSD and either 16mm or 20mm thick depending on how much room i need.

It will be rechargeable li-ion with 5-7 hours battery life. (with some coloured acrylic windows on the sides and bottom to allow wifi/BT signals)

I havent found anything similar other than stand alone boxes but I want something a bit more integrated and portable.
Has anyone heard of anything like this for the iDSD portable range? (like the Poly)

When I get underway with it I'll post some pics.
I plan to install volumio, Roon bridge and a disassembled chromecast audio using optical in and a Rpi Zero W using the USB input so I can have all streaming technologies;

Raspberry Pi Zero W - USB input
Chromecast Audio - Optical in
Volumio
Roon Bridge
Spotify Connect
Tidal Connect (when volumio release it)
Airplay
uPnP DLNA
Bluetooth Receiver

All file formats including DSD!

Sounds too good to be true.... but it should work in theory!

In case you doubt me.. :) Here's my portable Li-ION battery portable 1TB JRiver Media server I built a few years ago.
This will be more of challenge than the box I made below, because of the small narrow space to match the form factor of the iDSD, but I'm pretty sure I can make it work!

20150815_130547014_iOS by Hilton, on Flickr

20150815_133059852_iOS by Hilton, on Flickr

IMG_5827 by Hilton, on Flickr

Pi2 Jremote on Android by Hilton, on Flickr

Sony MDR-1ADAC on Pi2 by Hilton, on Flickr

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #1,275 of 2,172
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back