iFi audio iDSD Signature - The saga continues!
Dec 21, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #845 of 2,172
Do these devices pass MQA signal through?
Would need an Android phone/DAP (with UAPP) or iOS device and use USB to pass MQA. Have used 1) HiBy R5 with UAPP and OTG cable and 2) iPhone with CCK and both pass through MQA fine.

Tried the HiBy R5 with the HiBy USB->Coaxial cable and it works to pass the signal, but no MQA.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #847 of 2,172
Does this mean that I cant bypass the battery anymore? That was one of the main reasons I bought it.

You can’t bypass the battery. All power comes from the battery. The USB C port is only wired to charge the battery.

Dec 22, 2020 at 1:25 AM Post #848 of 2,172
Would need an Android phone/DAP (with UAPP) or iOS device and use USB to pass MQA. Have used 1) HiBy R5 with UAPP and OTG cable and 2) iPhone with CCK and both pass through MQA fine.

Tried the HiBy R5 with the HiBy USB->Coaxial cable and it works to pass the signal, but no MQA.
That cable does work to pass the MQA signal, at least on the R3 if you turn the gain to high and max out the volume. Can't see why it wouldn't with the R5.

Dec 22, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #849 of 2,172
Does this mean that I cant bypass the battery anymore? That was one of the main reasons I bought it.
You can’t bypass the battery. All power comes from the battery. The USB C port is only wired to charge the battery.

Per iFi Knowledge base:

"The iDSD Micro recharges by drawing power from the USB connection. Using a standard USB connection the current is limited to 500mA. This means a full recharge cycle with the unit turned off will take around 12 hours. If switched on only in “Eco mode” is the standard 500mA USB power sufficient to power the iDSD micro fully and allow a very slow recharge. If Normal or Turbo mode are engaged the iDSD micro will use the battery to supplement the USB power and will discharge the battery, and it has no current available to charge the battery."

On the new Signature, power is a separate circuit like all high end DACs and supports up to 1500 mA of charge current so it can operate in all modes indefinitely when plugged into power. Practically speaking though, the prior iDSD design will still be sufficient for 24x7 desktop use since the battery would be able to recharge in between listening sessions.

However, in terms of best audio quality and charging, iFi knowledge base states:

"In order to make sure that the iDSD micro is recharged quickly and can be operated while recharging we recommend connecting to a high current charging USB port on your PC or laptop. If such a USB port is not present, you can add a suitable high current charging hub (these are usually marked as BC 1.2 charging) or if you prefer an audiophile grade solution the iUSB3.0 micro or nano which is BC1.2 compliant may be used."

Based on this recommendation to get a high current USB hub to get around the USB port charging limit and also potentially use a separate low noise power supply for best audio quality, I'm not surprised that a "hub" is built into the new Signature so you don't need to use an external solution.

If your situation with the Signature is such that you have to use a USB port from your laptop and you only have one port to spare, you may want to get a USB hub so that you can connect both signal and power ports to the USB hub so you only need one port from your laptop. Haven't tried it myself, but don't see why it wouldn't work. However, keep in mind that you don't have to plug in the USB-C to your laptop. If you have a spare USB phone charger, you should use that instead since you will get higher charging current.

Dec 24, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #850 of 2,172
Anyone experiencing the iFi Signature draining completely on its own if it is off but connected to a computer? I have had this occur twice so I thought I would check.

Dec 24, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #851 of 2,172
Hello guys, I m a new to head gear. Today I bought the signature and I m very excited..!!
I have a question, my player is the Samsung Galaxy Note s20 ultra connected to signature with the ifi otg cable. When I run the tidal and the track says Master the light on the signature is yellow, is this right..?? The manual says for mqa the light must be magenta.... any help.
Sorry for my english.. I m working on it.

Dec 24, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #855 of 2,172
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back