iFi audio iDSD Signature - The saga continues!
Nov 22, 2020 at 8:07 AM Post #616 of 2,160
I received my Sig 30 minutes ago.
The volume control acts completely normal.
Clicks on and both channels rise from zero volume both in balance throughout whole range.
I tried MDR Z1R and Beyer T1/2 (600ohm) phones.

Good luck getting yours sorted out.

PS - I don't use MQA so haven't checked it.

Thanks for the feedback jirams. Enjoy the awesome sound of the sig.

Just out of curiousity, which of those phones do you like better, and why?

Nov 22, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #617 of 2,160
Thanks for the feedback jirams. Enjoy the awesome sound of the sig.

Just out of curiousity, which of those phones do you like better, and why?
Over the last few weeks I am using the T1/2 more than any of my other phones.
I listen 99.9% classical and opera and find the T1/2 the most comfortable and best sound balance.
Please remember - I have 80 year old ears which are afflicted by tinnitus. Nevertheless I do appreciate good sound but it is the music that matters most.
Good luck with sorting out your problem.

PS - the 3D (crossfeed) on Sig is wonderful with classical. Widens and deepens sound stage better than any crossfeed I have ever heard - take note Jan Meier.

Nov 22, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #618 of 2,160
Can anyone explain in layman terms the main differences between the IEM Match and the Power Modes on the Sig exactly do?

I find that they kind of “cancel” each other out. I’ve tried quite a few combos and they seem to just mess with the gain, but I’m sure there is a technical difference in using each one.

If anyone has any insight I’d appreciate it a lot.

Thanks in advance!

Nov 22, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #619 of 2,160
Can anyone explain in layman terms the main differences between the IEM Match and the Power Modes on the Sig exactly do?

I find that they kind of “cancel” each other out. I’ve tried quite a few combos and they seem to just mess with the gain, but I’m sure there is a technical difference in using each one.

If anyone has any insight I’d appreciate it a lot.

Thanks in advance!
Switch IEMatch off and use Power Mode to mean Hi Med Lo gain.
Use IEMatch if using in-ears and hiss a problem.
TAKE GREAT CARE TO KEEP VOL LOW when experimenting with IEMs!!!
A lot of power in Sig.
Just like a Sig-Sauer!

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #620 of 2,160

Thanks for your explanation. I do get that the IEM match were meant for sensitive IEMs, but when using my cans I feel like they both give a similar gain difference.

I can have the Power Mode at Turbo and the IEMmatch at ultra sensitive and the volume level seems the same as having the PowerMode at ECO and IEmatch OFF.

I find I could probably never need or use TURBO unless I have the IEMmatch turned on even with my ZMFs otherwise it’s just too loud. Plus TURBO seems to exacerbate the volume balance issue that people talk about.

Would be interested to see how others set their gains.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #621 of 2,160
Thanks for your explanation. I do get that the IEM match were meant for sensitive IEMs, but when using my cans I feel like they both give a similar gain difference.

I can have the Power Mode at Turbo and the IEMmatch at ultra sensitive and the volume level seems the same as having the PowerMode at ECO and IEmatch OFF.

I find I could probably never need or use TURBO unless I have the IEMmatch turned on even with my ZMFs otherwise it’s just too loud. Plus TURBO seems to exacerbate the volume balance issue that people talk about.

Would be interested to see how others set their gains.
I don’t need Turbo even with T1/2 at 600 ohms. If you don’t use iem them leave Match off.

Nov 22, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #622 of 2,160
iFi micro iDSD Signature is in the house!! Running with Focal Elegia and waiting for the Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pro to come in tomorrow..
So far no channel imbalance from both 4.4mm and 6.3mm. But I don’t know why the volume knob has to turn beyond 10 o’clock to hear sth after it is turned on.. And MQA light isn’t showing as well..
I had the Tidal trial and the LED turned magenta, so that must be some kind of setup issue. When I stream Qobuz I first thought that there is something wrong because the LED was green when streaming 192kHz tracks. In fact the yellow looks sort of greenish to me :beyersmile:

Nov 22, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #623 of 2,160
Gain adjusts the gain of the amplifier, how much the amplifier actually amplifies.
IEMatch attenuates the output, after the amplification has been made, this helps to attenuate the noise of the amplifier.

So yeah, both attenuate the signal, but at different stages. IEMatch is said to be transparent (I'm not sure if there are measurements for these claims), but it affects the output impedance. Usually you want to avoid it unless necessary.

Nov 22, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #624 of 2,160
Gain adjusts the gain of the amplifier, how much the amplifier actually amplifies.
IEMatch attenuates the output, after the amplification has been made, this helps to attenuate the noise of the amplifier.

So yeah, both attenuate the signal, but at different stages. IEMatch is said to be transparent (I'm not sure if there are measurements for these claims), but it affects the output impedance. Usually you want to avoid it unless necessary.

I think that’s the more technical laymen explanation I needed. Attenuating at different stages is the key. So one should always prioritize with the power modes before using the IEMmatch to further attenuate the signal for their desired output. That is my understanding now. Thanks!

Nov 22, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #625 of 2,160
I will try this. What I liked most today was Jack DeJohnette: "Oneness" and "New Rags"; Gershwin (if you like Gershwin in a new way try once Uri Cain). I rediscovered Yello, especially "Till Tomorrow" on "Touch Yello". Lastly Colter Wall "Imaginary Appalachia" - normally I don't listen very loud, except the song "Sleeping on the Blacktop" :)

I stopped now my listening for today. iDSD power LED ist still green. So I guess the way I use it there is enough capacity for more than 9 hours.
Finally the LED turned red :beyersmile: So more than 10 hours for me. I find this quite surprising. Battery capacity was a bit of a concern, but as it is nowI'm more than pleased. I simply don't have to worry too much about charging the iDSD Sig.

Nov 22, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #626 of 2,160
TAKE GREAT CARE TO KEEP VOL LOW when experimenting with IEMs!!!
A lot of power in Sig.
Just like a Sig-Sauer!

This.

Finally the LED turned red :beyersmile: So more than 10 hours for me. I find this quite surprising. Battery capacity was a bit of a concern, but as it is nowI'm more than pleased. I simply don't have to worry too much about charging the iDSD Sig.

Enjoy :)

If you don’t use iem them leave Match off.

That's what I would do too :wink:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Nov 22, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #627 of 2,160
Well I really enjoy the Signature's sound signature ! :darthsmile: I listened mostly jazz these days and with some good recordings, it's lively, airy, detailed and a bit warm with good bass. Addictive ! :dt880smile:
Concerning the imbalance issue, I have it on all modes (eco to turbo), at all imatch positions. The sound starts on the left when the pot reach 9 and become equal at 9:30. Tested with a mono file, paired with a DT1770 and DT770, same results.
On the other side I had a little A/B session to compare the Sig with BL and a Marantz SA11-S1, so only using the dac rca, same cables, toslinked with the SA11 first, then using 44.1/16 files from Audirvana. Results : BL can't hold the Marantz, clearly. The Sig on its side sounds different but on par with the SA11, more air and details, but the Marantz still have a fleshy sound that I love. Good to play with these toys !

Nov 22, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #628 of 2,160
Well I really enjoy the Signature's sound signature ! :darthsmile: I listened mostly jazz these days and with some good recordings, it's lively, airy, detailed and a bit warm with good bass. Addictive ! :dt880smile:
Concerning the imbalance issue, I have it on all modes (eco to turbo), at all imatch positions. The sound starts on the left when the pot reach 9 and become equal at 9:30. Tested with a mono file, paired with a DT1770 and DT770, same results.
On the other side I had a little A/B session to compare the Sig with BL and a Marantz SA11-S1, so only using the dac rca, same cables, toslinked with the SA11 first, then using 44.1/16 files from Audirvana. Results : BL can't hold the Marantz, clearly. The Sig on its side sounds different but on par with the SA11, more air and details, but the Marantz still have a fleshy sound that I love. Good to play with these toys !

Thanks for the report. Will you be exchanging or are you happy as is? Yours seem a bit better than mine.
I have been thinking if I want to return and look for something else or just have it replaced. I am leaning towards replace.

...I don't think that a "disbalance" issue exists...

For that guy that claims that there is no imbalance issue. There is and news flash... even IFI is aware of it.
They even have it on their website in black white with a sort of a work around recommendation.
https://support.ifi-audio.com/kb/faq.php?id=516

However as is the case for the above user and myself (and surely some other unlucky buyers). Those workarounds do not work for everyone.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #629 of 2,160
hi, for the channel imbalance, can you please compare Sig against the BL? does the channel imbalance also go at 9:30 for BL? i want to see if there is an improvement in the channel imbalance going from BL to sig. or are they about the same. thanks

Nov 23, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #630 of 2,160
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back