iFi audio iDSD Signature - The saga continues!
Nov 22, 2020 at 4:54 AM Post #604 of 2,172
iFi micro iDSD Signature is in the house!! Running with Focal Elegia and waiting for the Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pro to come in tomorrow..
So far no channel imbalance from both 4.4mm and 6.3mm. But I don’t know why the volume knob has to turn beyond 10 o’clock to hear sth after it is turned on.. And MQA light isn’t showing as well..
588C0833-378A-495A-990E-1BACFF72557A.jpeg
F3A1F12B-8BDE-4B12-8378-4765EC93B22A.jpeg

Nov 22, 2020 at 5:26 AM Post #605 of 2,172
iFi micro iDSD Signature is in the house!! Running with Focal Elegia and waiting for the Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pro to come in tomorrow..
So far no channel imbalance from both 4.4mm and 6.3mm. But I don’t know why the volume knob has to turn beyond 10 o’clock to hear sth after it is turned on.. And MQA light isn’t showing as well..
588C0833-378A-495A-990E-1BACFF72557A.jpegF3A1F12B-8BDE-4B12-8378-4765EC93B22A.jpeg

Nice rig. Please be sure to retest when you get the Beyer and let me know.

In my case almost right after turn on there is sound on the left and it keeps getting louder up to 10 o'clock. Then the right one comes in.
Did you play with other gain settings? Just curious.

About the MQA I imagine you have tidal setup correctly, with "exclusive mode" and "volume control only on device" enabled. And full pass throughhardware decoding dissabled. Those are the correct settings.

Cheers

Nov 22, 2020 at 5:37 AM Post #606 of 2,172
Probably the best available analog pot is the Alps Blue Velvet. it is big however (30mm square) and would not fit into the Sig case.
I suspect that the much smaller pot fitted to Sig, due to its smaller diameter and hence shorter track length, is displaying a statistical variation in performance that would be normal.
I suspect that iFi fit the best that is available at such small size and perhaps try to filter out the worst at incoming QC inspection.
I'm expecting my Sig to be delivered in an hour. I'll report back later.

Nov 22, 2020 at 5:53 AM Post #607 of 2,172
Probably the best available analog pot is the Alps Blue Velvet. it is big however (30mm square) and would not fit into the Sig case.
I suspect that the much smaller pot fitted to Sig, due to its smaller diameter and hence shorter track length, is displaying a statistical variation in performance that would be normal.
I suspect that iFi fit the best that is available at such small size and perhaps try to filter out the worst at incoming QC inspection.
I'm expecting my Sig to be delivered in an hour. I'll report back later.

I don't know much about the rest, but I don't suspect that proper QC filtering was done before shipping, otherwise my unit would not have been sent out to anyone (just imagine if I was a main stream reviewer).

It is really not minor at all. I am no audiophile, I won't even hear/care about minor. If you have the device you will know how much volume 25 degrees means.

Anyone that doubts my claim or keeps hammering on about how "there is no unbalance issues", should put their money where their mouth is and offer to trade with me. :beerchug: All of these units are brand new.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 6:03 AM Post #608 of 2,172
I don't know much about the rest, but I don't suspect that proper QC filtering was done before shipping, otherwise my unit would not have been sent out to anyone (just imagine if I was a main stream reviewer).

It is really not minor at all. I am no audiophile, I won't even hear/care about minor. If you have the device you will know how much volume 25 degrees means.

Anyone that doubts my claim or keeps hammering on about how "there is no unbalance issues", should put their money where their mouth is and offer to trade with me. :beerchug: All of these units are brand new.
Hey Buddy I feel your disappointment and pain. It will get sorted out eventually for you.
Ever since man made the first wheel, manufacturing has been accused of all sorts of cost cutting and poor QC - I certainly have experienced defects and let downs in everything.
Your case would suggest a defect in the pot that should be easily trapped at final inspection.
Go easy on iFi in public - after all, they are the folks who eventually will sort it out for you.

Nov 22, 2020 at 6:29 AM Post #609 of 2,172
Nice rig. Please be sure to retest when you get the Beyer and let me know.

In my case almost right after turn on there is sound on the left and it keeps getting louder up to 10 o'clock. Then the right one comes in.
Did you play with other gain settings? Just curious.

About the MQA I imagine you have tidal setup correctly, with "exclusive mode" and "volume control only on device" enabled. And full pass throughhardware decoding dissabled. Those are the correct settings.

Cheers
I'm using Eco power mode cos that's alr quite loud for my IEM InEar SD5 and Focal Elegia.. With DT1990 Pro, I can try it with other power mode and update you.
I am also not sure why there isn't any sound right afte it's powered on and till the knob reaches 10 o'clock. That's just damn weird..
Yup, I did what you said alr. But it's just not showing the correct LED color..

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 6:31 AM Post #610 of 2,172
Hey Buddy I feel your disappointment and pain. It will get sorted out eventually for you.
Ever since man made the first wheel, manufacturing has been accused of all sorts of cost cutting and poor QC - I certainly have experienced defects and let downs in everything.
Your case would suggest a defect in the pot that should be easily trapped at final inspection.
Go easy on iFi in public - after all, they are the folks who eventually will sort it out for you.

I hear you. Thank you. I am a manufacturer myself. We try to do the best Q/C possible (because we build drone and if those fail it is 100% a big loss, ie CRASH).
We have had mishaps even with our best effort. So I try not to crucify other (manufacturers). That is not my goal here either. So you are you are 90% right.

My main point of contention is that if this was a known issue (as many have reported and explained at the BL stage). Why on earth would they not address it definitively. I mean it is not like every single sub 1k DAC/amp out there has this issue. There are many way to sort it, but the most basic is a quick inspection (with an instrument) before final packaging.
I am not talking big, this is what I would do if I know of a weak point of a product that I make.
Do you see my point? I was a conscious decision/omission. No longer a desing or component selection oversight as it was on the BL.

Nov 22, 2020 at 6:34 AM Post #611 of 2,172
I'm using Eco power mode cos that's alr quite loud for my IEM InEar SD5 and Focal Elegia.. With DT1990 Pro, I can try it with other power mode and update you.

Yup, I did what you said alr. But it's just not showing the correct LED color..

Let us swap, I don't care about led colors :jecklinsmile: I will take no led over unbalance any day.

All joking aside, do you hear the click sound when you switch between songs, like from a hifi one to a master one on Tidal? That is do you feel the rate is actually changed?
You may have to return it as-well for any exchange. Where did you buy from?

Nov 22, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #612 of 2,172
Let us swap, I don't care about led colors :jecklinsmile: I will take no led over unbalance any day.

All joking aside, do you hear the click sound when you switch between songs, like from a hifi one to a master one on Tidal? That is do you feel the rate is actually changed?
You may have to return it as-well for any exchange. Where did you buy from?
Haha. Yup, my unit is lucky in that sense. and that's why I'm a bit hesistant to exchange to a new one..

nope, i don't hear any click sound.

I got it from Stereo Singapore..

Nov 22, 2020 at 6:40 AM Post #613 of 2,172
Haha. Yup, my unit is lucky in that sense. and that's why I'm a bit hesistant to exchange to a new one..

nope, i don't hear any click sound.

I got it from Stereo Singapore..

Will you keep it even if you are going to be unsure if MQA is working or not? I mean I don't know how else to be sure that it is working other than that led.
I don't know if it (MQA) does make a difference or its just vaporware. For me its more like "if it a given, then why not".

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #615 of 2,172
Will you keep it even if you are going to be unsure if MQA is working or not? I mean I don't know how else to be sure that it is working other than that led.
I don't know if it (MQA) does make a difference or its just vaporware. For me its more like "if it a given, then why not".
I received my Sig 30 minutes ago.
The volume control acts completely normal.
Clicks on and both channels rise from zero volume both in balance throughout whole range.
I tried MDR Z1R and Beyer T1/2 (600ohm) phones.

Good luck getting yours sorted out.

PS - I don't use MQA so haven't checked it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back