iFi audio iDSD Signature - The saga continues!
Oct 29, 2020 at 5:49 AM Post #226 of 2,172
Can I ask if people use a USB-A female to USB-A female adaptor on the BL then a standard USB-A to USB-C straight into Macbook? Would this be deemed ok? Maybe with an ifi silencer or Audioquest Jitterbug inline somewhere? With new Mac having USB-C only can the jitterbug/iSilencer be connected straight after the female to female or do they have to be plugged directly into the usb port of a MacBook?
I’m just looking for an alternative cable from an aesthetic point of view to the blue one supplied with the BL.

I use a USB C male to USB C female cable that is about 50cm long and right angled at the male end.This then plugs into a USB C male to USB A female to connect the cable to the DAC, nothing else in the chain, works great for me with my Phone and PC with USB C sockets (I haven't tried it with my Macbook though)

The general rule of thumb is that noise suppression devices should always be located close to the source of the noise if that helps.

Oct 29, 2020 at 6:08 AM Post #228 of 2,172
Thanks!
I think this solves my issue actually.
Straight into macbook, and then I can connect the USB-A straight into it.

https://ifi-audio.com/products/isilencer-plus/

I’m not sure if there are many quality USB-A female to female adaptors available for the BL end...

Yes that should work OK, I've not used one myself so I can't say if the difference is worth the extra £45 over a simple USB C to USB A converter.

Oct 29, 2020 at 6:19 AM Post #230 of 2,172
Can I just add comment also in this thread.
Is this even possible or is it just what I am used to?
I have the Diana Phi and auditioned them with the Chord TT2 yesterday alongside the Utopia.
The Phi were more detailed and sounded personally to me a better headphone for my personal taste.
However after using the TT2 extensively and then using my BL, I preferred it? Admittedly I have both switches up for additional bass etc.
Is this a symptom of me not understanding sound correctly or simply that the BL is packing more bang for bucks than it appears?
I have the BL and xCan and will be possibly swopping the BL for the Signature if a Chord Hugo2 doesn’t do it for me this coming weekend on trial. I know people state the Hugo2 won’t power the Diana Phi, but I’m wondering if my ears will be pleased enough with what they hear, as I don’t chase graphs and that last 1% sound I probably don’t even understand. These ifi products really seem very good...
Always happy for advice or comment.

1A95D0F0-8572-47D7-98B4-E6DC441DE2D6.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 7:42 AM Post #231 of 2,172
I have the Diana Phi and auditioned them with the Chord TT2 yesterday alongside the Utopia.
The Phi were more detailed and sounded personally to me a better headphone for my personal taste.
However after using the TT2 extensively and then using my BL, I preferred it? Admittedly I have both switches up for additional bass etc.
Is this a symptom of me not understanding sound correctly or simply that the BL is packing more bang for bucks than it appears?
I have the BL and xCan and will be possibly swopping the BL for the Signature if a Chord Hugo2 doesn’t do it for me this coming weekend on trial. I know people state the Hugo2 won’t power the Diana Phi, but I’m wondering if my ears will be pleased enough with what they hear, as I don’t chase graphs and that last 1% sound I probably don’t even understand. These ifi products really seem very good...
Always happy for advice or comment.
Don't fall for the "its more expensive so it must be better" trap. If you are lucky enough to be able to audition gear then get what sounds best to you.

Also consider that what sounds great today may not sound great the next day, I certainly am susceptible to that particular issue. Some days I listen to a particular combo, DAC amp, headphone and think "this is perfect, why do I need anything else" but the then next day it sounds "off" so I start experimenting again. :)

Oct 29, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #232 of 2,172
Can I ask if people use a USB-A female to USB-A female adaptor on the BL then a standard USB-A to USB-C straight into Macbook? Would this be deemed ok?

I see no reason why it shouldn't work.

I certainly am susceptible to that particular issue.

Many of us are :)

It seems that at this time you're liking this specific combination of audio components better, which is perfectly fine :)

Thanks!
I think this solves my issue actually.
Straight into macbook, and then I can connect the USB-A straight into it.

https://ifi-audio.com/products/isilencer-plus/

I’m not sure if there are many quality USB-A female to female adaptors available for the BL end...

We also have these OTG cables:

https://ifi-audio.com/products/otg-cables/

But as all OTGs, they're short. iSilencer however would cut noise incoming from your Mac to micro iDSD.

Last edited:
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Oct 30, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #234 of 2,172
Always happy for advice or

I have Phi and use it with TT2. I needed a portable dac/amp for my Phi to use it on travel. I had previously Hugo2, and WA11. I was sure about how they couldn’t drive Phi as it should be. Even tough, I tried with all of them and wasn’t satisfied with the result. When I was looking for other alternatives I saw Signature on stock here in Nederland and purchased. I have to admit that Signature is surprised me. It was previously told, do not fall the expensive is always better trap. Congratulations @iFi audio guys!

EAA5310A-3A00-40B6-B3BD-833BE1079919.jpeg

Oct 31, 2020 at 4:31 AM Post #236 of 2,172
Oct 31, 2020 at 4:40 AM Post #237 of 2,172
I have Phi and use it with TT2. I needed a portable dac/amp for my Phi to use it on travel. I had previously Hugo2, and WA11. I was sure about how they couldn’t drive Phi as it should be. Even tough, I tried with all of them and wasn’t satisfied with the result. When I was looking for other alternatives I saw Signature on stock here in Nederland and purchased. I have to admit that Signature is surprised me. It was previously told, do not fall the expensive is always better trap. Congratulations @iFi audio guys!

EAA5310A-3A00-40B6-B3BD-833BE1079919.jpeg
Hey very interesting and thanks for sharing that.
The TT2 gets rave reviews and maybe I’ve just become too acclimatised to the BL to see its strengths or it’s just not my kinda sound.
I’m having a demo on a Hugo2 and Burson Conductor 3x Reference today alongside my BL again, so let’s see how I get on.
What didn’t you like about the Hugo2?

Oct 31, 2020 at 5:30 AM Post #238 of 2,172
Hey very interesting and thanks for sharing that.
The TT2 gets rave reviews and maybe I’ve just become too acclimatised to the BL to see its strengths or it’s just not my kinda sound.
I’m having a demo on a Hugo2 and Burson Conductor 3x Reference today alongside my BL again, so let’s see how I get on.
What didn’t you like about the Hugo2?

Hugo2 couldn’t drive Phi imo. I would prefer signature over it. By the way, I‘m really fun of Chord and I had been used Hugo2 for many years.

Oct 31, 2020 at 8:03 AM Post #239 of 2,172
Is this out yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back