iFi audio iDSD Diablo - A portable reference done our way!
Oct 11, 2021 at 5:08 AM Post #1,834 of 2,981
Can’t get that miter case shipped to Australia. :frowning2:

Oct 11, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #1,836 of 2,981
I bought mine

They also don't ship to Brasil, I have bought here from @utdeep a beautiful black one!
That’s the one I would like to get. I saw that it’s available on Amazon US, but does not ship here. I keep looking.

Oct 16, 2021 at 12:28 AM Post #1,837 of 2,981
Anyone had any beicking issues? I plugged this into my m11 using otg and then m11 stopped playing. Didn't think much of it, but then it won't turn on now. No previous issues. Just dead. Worked fine with my phone, but fiio plus diablo did something weird.

Oct 16, 2021 at 12:37 AM Post #1,838 of 2,981
Can’t get that miter case shipped to Australia. :frowning2:

I bought mine

They also don't ship to Brasil, I have bought here from @utdeep a beautiful black one!

That’s the one I would like to get. I saw that it’s available on Amazon US, but does not ship here. I keep looking.

I have their red case for my Diablo. Love it and highly recommend it.

Anyone had any beicking issues? I plugged this into my m11 using otg and then m11 stopped playing. Didn't think much of it, but then it won't turn on now. No previous issues. Just dead. Worked fine with my phone, but fiio plus diablo did something weird.

That's certainly odd. Do you have any devices like the Diablo to see if where this issue is coming from? Did you try it on the M11 before, and did it work then?

Oct 16, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #1,839 of 2,981
I have their red case for my Diablo. Love it and highly recommend it.

That's certainly odd. Do you have any devices like the Diablo to see if where this issue is coming from? Did you try it on the M11 before, and did it work then?
I used it with the hipdac before. No issues. Plugged it into the diablo and it was finicky, then stopped, then totally died. Unresponsive. Won't charge, or turn on, or reset. Bummer, especially since they don't make them anymore. I was planning to sell it anyway, but now I'm out the $250 I would have gotten for it.

Oct 16, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #1,840 of 2,981
So in comparing diablo to dx300 to diablo using hiby music player, I would say that in a blind test, I'm not sure I would be able to tell them apart. Having a sinlg device is definitely more convenient, especially given the 15 hour battery life vs roughly half that. Both drive my he6 se just fine. I think the diablo can do 4 w, whereas the dx300 just does 1 (or so). The mango player may offer a hint more clarity than hiby does, but I don't love the interface. Poweramp doesn't work well with the dx300 at all. More testing to be done today.

Oct 16, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #1,841 of 2,981
So in comparing diablo to dx300 to diablo using hiby music player, I would say that in a blind test, I'm not sure I would be able to tell them apart. Having a sinlg device is definitely more convenient, especially given the 15 hour battery life vs roughly half that. Both drive my he6 se just fine. I think the diablo can do 4 w, whereas the dx300 just does 1 (or so). The mango player may offer a hint more clarity than hiby does, but I don't love the interface. Poweramp doesn't work well with the dx300 at all. More testing to be done today.
Ok, so I did the GTO filter update. I don't know if this is in my head, but it now seems more detailed and wider than the ibasso. I'm keeping the diablo and sending the dx300 back.

Oct 16, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #1,842 of 2,981
I used it with the hipdac before. No issues. Plugged it into the diablo and it was finicky, then stopped, then totally died. Unresponsive. Won't charge, or turn on, or reset. Bummer, especially since they don't make them anymore. I was planning to sell it anyway, but now I'm out the $250 I would have gotten for it.
I've had no issues using my M11 pro with the Diablo using USB connection.

You could try disconnecting the battery on the M11 for half an hour, then reconnect and see if it works again. unscrew the 2 screws at the bottom, use a suction cup to lift the back out. be careful as the wifi antenna is connected (M11 pro it's at the top)

once inside unscrew the shield thingy covering the battery connector, then lift connector straight up.

Alternatively look at how these people took it apart: https://www.thephonograph.net/fiio-m11-disassembly/

Oct 16, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #1,843 of 2,981
I've had no issues using my M11 pro with the Diablo using USB connection.

You could try disconnecting the battery on the M11 for half an hour, then reconnect and see if it works again. unscrew the 2 screws at the bottom, use a suction cup to lift the back out. be careful as the wifi antenna is connected (M11 pro it's at the top)

once inside unscrew the shield thingy covering the battery connector, then lift connector straight up.

Alternatively look at how these people took it apart: https://www.thephonograph.net/fiio-m11-disassembly/
Thanks, man. I can't for the life of me figure out why connecting them would have done anything to it. Seems to be a fluke I think. Bummer.

As far as diablo vs dx300, the more I go back and forth, the more I realize that there's no way I could tell the difference in a blind test. Maybe some super audiophile could dial it in, but I am beginning to wonder if it's all nonsense meant to sell products we don't need. I'm a fitness need and supplements are the same way. They literally out things in pre workout to make you feel like you are energized without actually energizing you. Could this be the same with audio? Hey guys, this sounds way better! Pay us $1200 for it. Meanwhile, it sounds slightly better than the hipdac. Right now, I'm listening to mest mkii on fiio utws3 and it sounds great and is super convenient... for $70. Granted, they are $1500 headphones. These really do sound amazing. Super tip dependent for me. Spinfits seem to do the trick.

Oct 17, 2021 at 5:18 AM Post #1,844 of 2,981
Thanks, man. I can't for the life of me figure out why connecting them would have done anything to it. Seems to be a fluke I think. Bummer.

As far as diablo vs dx300, the more I go back and forth, the more I realize that there's no way I could tell the difference in a blind test. Maybe some super audiophile could dial it in, but I am beginning to wonder if it's all nonsense meant to sell products we don't need. I'm a fitness need and supplements are the same way. They literally out things in pre workout to make you feel like you are energized without actually energizing you. Could this be the same with audio? Hey guys, this sounds way better! Pay us $1200 for it. Meanwhile, it sounds slightly better than the hipdac. Right now, I'm listening to mest mkii on fiio utws3 and it sounds great and is super convenient... for $70. Granted, they are $1500 headphones. These really do sound amazing. Super tip dependent for me. Spinfits seem to do the trick.
That is not related to the Diablo ... but yes, if you investigate deeper into the autosuggestion of our mind, you will recognize quite fast, that a lot of things are going on in the hifi market to "manipulate" the endcustomer.

Example: I see a review about product X on YouTube and the reviewer is well known in the scene and says the device has an awesome bass and top tier resolution, but is quite expensive with 2000 EUR.
Now you decide to buy the product X ... Your mind has saved all those statements from the reviewer and will auto suggest the same things, because the stuff he said must be true and must be there! And now you start hearing the awesome bass and good resolution. And you know, that the device is a totl device, because it costs 2000 EUR. And it can not be possible, that a device for 400 EUR can sound the same, because it is 5 times cheaper :wink:
I could continue here, but I will not do that. I think you know what I mean.

In my opinion, you can get really good DAC / Amps for a really good price in 2021 (e.g. Topping E30 + L30). Solid state sounds almost everytime the same, if the power is enough for the headphone. Usually you pay just more for features, design, quality, material, connectivity and sympathy.

If you want a different sound, you can check out tube-hybrids or real hybrid OTL Amps. There is a noticable difference to the solid state Amps.

But that is just my opinion and a lot of people in such forums does not like such opinion. But I do not care that much :D

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2021 at 5:33 AM Post #1,845 of 2,981

If designer right, a €200 dac/amp can sound the same as a €1000 dac/amp, but the question is what you want it to do exactly. I can plug my headphones in my iPod Classic, and have a great time. I bought the Diablo because it has the power to get the absolute best out of my 2000 ohm headphones, for its battery life, and portability. it'll drive anything you throw at it (well, anything not IEMs). It depends on your headphones and wishes for your personal audio really.

Speaking of... @iFi audio can I use a single-ended cable (e.g. 4.4mm to 3.5mm) from the balanced line out port? A friend of mine is using it like that, and I know normally you wouldn't want to do that because you might be shorting things...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back