iFi audio iDefender3.0 (Official) - Ground Loop Eliminator
Oct 14, 2016 at 5:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 87

iFi audio

Sponsor: iFi audio
Accessories > iDEFENDER3.0 

The iDEFENDER3.0 solves the common ground loop/hum. It ‘breaks’ the ground loop but in a, proper and electrically safe way Just add iPOWER 5v to inject clean power at the source.​

Break ground loops the correct way.
iDefender3.0 with IsoEarth®

color]

Use upstream at the audio source.
Because USB is bi-directional.

color]

Latest USB3.0 standard.
For optimum performance.

color]

Cut-off noisy power.
Inject pure, clean iPOWER 5v.

color]

The iDefender3.0 protects against the common problems of ground loop noise and noisy USB power (if used with optional external iPower 5V).

As USB is bi-directional, it is important to address noise issues upstream as well as downstream.
Common USB noise problems addressed by the iDefender are:

​
  • Breaks noisy ground-loops. Significantly reduces system noise floor and makes for better dynamic contrast, warmth and resolution
  • Disconnects the USB Power from the PC and replaces it with a clean external power (optional iPower* 5V for ultra low noise)
  • USB3.0 port technology – most advanced and highest USB specification

The iDefender, just like its iUSB power sibling, brings usb port noise at the computer from a typical 100uV down to 1uV. So a 100x reduction that is quieter than a 9v battery.

Beneath the compact exterior, the iDefender is feature-rich, with the latest iFi technology.

To be used directly at the Source such as the PC usb port, it breaks ground loops and cuts the noisy USB power line. From computer audiophiles, musicians, home studio artists to pro audio customers, it improves audio playback quality at home and on-the-go.

*To obtain the best result, the optional iPower 5V is recommended.

USB is bi-directional, pays to look upstream

color]

Unlike SPDIF which is directional, even as the USB logo itself illustrates, USB is bi-directional. 

Therefore, despite more efforts and benefits to looking downstream such as at the DAC end, we believe it is also beneficial to look upstream at the source.

The iDefender3.0 solves one quite common issue found with either:
 ​
1. Multiple earths​
2. No earth​

That is a ground loop which manifests itself as an audible ‘hum.’

The iDefender3.0 cuts the ground loop AND also offers the ability to inject a clean 5v power supply via the micro USB port at the side.

For computer audio enthusiasts to professional recording studio engineers, the iDefender3.0 slves these two issues in one fell swoop.

Break the noisy USB power, but in the correct way

color]

There are more than a few products that break the USB Power connection, but of the ones known to us, they do very little because the noisy ground connection remains. This is quite a major oversight in our opinion.

For DAC's that do not use USB Power (except for handshake) the iDefender3.0 breaks the ground connection eliminating earth loops, while allowing normal handshake operation to continue. So in terms of cutting out the noise, it does it in the most comprehensive way possible while at the same time, in an electrically correct way.

USB3.0 technology, at the cutting-edge 
color]

It is now a hallmark of all the latest iFi signal and power products to be USB3.0 standard. First USB3.0 is backwards compatible with USB2.0. Second, in terms of the specifications, USB3.0 is superior to USB2.0 eg the wire gauge specification is more exhaustive and the connections are better.

Need clean power? Inject iPower ‘quieter than battery’ technology
color]

As the iDefender3.0 breaks the noisy power supply, this is it for DACs with an internally-powered USB line.

But for DAC's that use USB Power a separate power connection is provided to feed in a 5V DC Supply - this is needed to break the ground connection, as long as the DAC tries to draw USB power from the Source instead the ground cannot be isolated.

With a noise floor that of 1uV, the iPower is a new-breed of near silent DC-power supply. Low power consumption and low-noise.

With 12-Element Array on the output and 6-Element Array technology on the input, there is next to no noise supplied and ‘leaked’ back out to nearby devices.

Specifications:

Super-Speed USB3.0 (and USB2.0 backwards compatible)
Connectors: USB3.0 gold-plated connectors
Dimensions: 48 (l) x 18 (w) x 8 mm (h)
Weight: 6.5g (0.23oz)
Warranty period: 12 months

The EU retail price: €49 incl VAT
The US retail price: $45 ex-tax

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Oct 16, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #2 of 87
Congratulations on another product launch. I can see it on the main site but can't find anyone selling them in the UK...Are they out to resellers or can I buy direct...I couldn't find anything.
Cheers
Dave

Oct 21, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #5 of 87
ha I wish that's a separate item. I hopefully there is a cable though...
It may come Saturday. ... via MCRU...
I was going to hook it up to 20000mah power bank...My set up may not do much as I run off USB Audio player pro ( best Android music app) from my S5 SM-G900F. But my setup via Ipurifier 2 and Intona kills the battery...
Not a noisy 5v from a laptop or pc

Oct 24, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #8 of 87
Can someone at iFi comment whether owners of nano iUSB3.0 will benefit from the iDefender before the nano iUSB3.0?
Thanks.

Oct 24, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #9 of 87
And another question. Are the functions of the iDefender similar to those of the Intona High Speed USB Isolator, main purpose and effect being galvanic isolation?  

Oct 25, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #10 of 87
  Can someone at iFi comment whether owners of nano iUSB3.0 will benefit from the iDefender before the nano iUSB3.0?
Thanks.

no you dont need it. it is for the people that dont use such products as iUSB3

one of the main feauters of iUSB is

• Eliminates ground noise

Nov 3, 2016 at 6:09 AM Post #11 of 87
Thanks.

no you dont need it. it is for the people that dont use such products as iUSB3

one of the main feauters of iUSB is

• Eliminates ground noise

I think you are wrong @Deftone as the NANO iUSB doesn't do ISO earth, the part that attenuate ground noise, that's a feature of the iFi MICRO iUSB.

So @VilMo you'll benefit from the iDefender with your NANO iUSB.

Nov 9, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #14 of 87
Hi Middy,

MCRU shipped monday, I should receive it in the next few days. What 5V PS do you plan to use?

Got it yesterday but dam it I have just shipped off my MR SPEAKERS ETHER for an upgrade this morning. I made a split cable for a 20000mah power bank. I was going to make a ground lift then this appeared....
God knows there are lots of ways of doing it and I think the Idefender will have a greater change on PC'S than my Samsung phone. Hard to tell what change as I am not sure if my diy cable removed was a boost and the idefender improved....But I have up to 3 weeks wait and 200 hours to get the flow Ether stable.... But ì think it is better with it. I will still make a custom cable with a split 5v and a GND lift.

I got the power bank as it was cheap and ready made...

Nov 9, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #15 of 87
Is there any benefit to using the ipower 5v with this even if my DAC is supplying the power?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back