iFi audio hip-dac: The Tour!
Feb 21, 2020 at 2:59 AM Post #16 of 85
May I ask why you would expect people to cover the onward shipping costs of a tour model? They are going to be giving up their spare time and giving your product free marketing, also the turnaround time will be extremely restrictive for those out there who work full time. I believe, as a gesture of goodwill, you should be offering to reimburse the postage costs provided you are sent a photo of the receipt. This should now be an industry standard, headfiers do a lot for you. It's been a bone of contention with me for years. The costs involved are nothing compared to the units you will be sending out to professional review sites. Please reconsider your stance on this, I speak not as an interested party but on behalf of all the people on this page who have expressed an interest in your tour.

Most, if not all the tours on head-fi is "reviewer" covers costs.

Feb 21, 2020 at 4:07 AM Post #17 of 85
Most, if not all the tours on head-fi is "reviewer" covers costs.
I recently had to pay £50 to send review units from the UK to New Zealand. I am still ambivalent about that cost given that I only had the units for 10 days.

Feb 21, 2020 at 4:33 AM Post #19 of 85
May I ask why you would expect people to cover the onward shipping costs of a tour model? They are going to be giving up their spare time and giving your product free marketing, also the turnaround time will be extremely restrictive for those out there who work full time. I believe, as a gesture of goodwill, you should be offering to reimburse the postage costs provided you are sent a photo of the receipt. This should now be an industry standard, headfiers do a lot for you. It's been a bone of contention with me for years. The costs involved are nothing compared to the units you will be sending out to professional review sites. Please reconsider your stance on this, I speak not as an interested party but on behalf of all the people on this page who have expressed an interest in your tour.

Good post , we headfiers are watched on by thousands even our comments let alone reviews...feel there definitely should be some reimbursement by all vendors for this technically free promotion.
My post may not be appreciated by everyone but my 2 cents anyway.

Feb 21, 2020 at 4:37 AM Post #20 of 85
Why do you guys put up with this? I still can't get my head around it. Where else would you be asked to right a review, putting your reputation and integrity on the line, at a cost to yourself? To a deadline? I tell you why I used to accept these terms; because I was a newcomer and I thought that it would be good experience for me. I never realised at the time how much was spent on the marketing to promote these products. It's all good. It's only my opinion on this. If you have no problems with this, then I'm happy for you. I just think that I won't be alone in feeling like the companies are being just a tiny bit selfish by getting you to do this

Feb 21, 2020 at 4:58 AM Post #21 of 85
Why do you guys put up with this? I still can't get my head around it. Where else would you be asked to right a review, putting your reputation and integrity on the line, at a cost to yourself? To a deadline? I tell you why I used to accept these terms; because I was a newcomer and I thought that it would be good experience for me. I never realised at the time how much was spent on the marketing to promote these products. It's all good. It's only my opinion on this. If you have no problems with this, then I'm happy for you. I just think that I won't be alone in feeling like the companies are being just a tiny bit selfish by getting you to do this

Again an excellent post

Feb 21, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #22 of 85
I recently had to pay £50 to send review units from the UK to New Zealand. I am still ambivalent about that cost given that I only had the units for 10 days.

I feel ya. I did my first tour a couple months ago and with insurance added i wound up paying around 35 bucks. I was like damn. But, i guess it was a small price to pay for a unit i couldnt get my hands on to demo. I totally understand that viewpoint for country to country.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #23 of 85
They should spell out the date as March the 1st. Otherwise this thread would not make any sense. The new Bur Brown DAC in this Hip DAC is interesting to find out early. But if the shipping to the next reviewer is cost prohibitively painful then I would have to weigh the risk appropriately. Bur Brown has not released something new in a while, I'm guessing.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #25 of 85
Creative G5 has a Bur Brown DAC and it is warm sounding. But I don't remember the model number. Would be nice to know if there is a name.

Edit:
The DAC, a Burr-Brown DSD1793, is capable of supporting native playback up to DSD 256/DXD 384/PCM 384kHz and MQA.

I'm pretty sure the G5 does not have this one.

Echobox Explorer is equipped with the highest specs, including the highly regarded TI Burr-Brown 1792 DAC.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #26 of 85
Creative G5 has a Bur Brown DAC and it is warm sounding. But I don't remember the model number. Would be nice to know if there is a name.

Edit:
The DAC, a Burr-Brown DSD1793, is capable of supporting native playback up to DSD 256/DXD 384/PCM 384kHz and MQA.

I'm pretty sure the G5 does not have this one.
One thing is the capabilities of the chip and other is the capabilities of the DAC. Some products have limitations other than the DAC chip.

Feb 22, 2020 at 1:21 AM Post #28 of 85
May I ask why you would expect people to cover the onward shipping costs of a tour model? They are going to be giving up their spare time and giving your product free marketing, also the turnaround time will be extremely restrictive for those out there who work full time.
Thank you for bringing this up. This is the reason I did not sing up. This is an entry level product, to ship it from one country to another would cost almost 1/3 of the price of the product)
Will be waiting for a micro Series upgrade. Where is a new micro BL?
I like ifi audio - micro bl, xDSD, xCAN, Zen DAC - all of them are/were in my collection.
You guys do too much focus on budget devices these days. Where is a real stuff?:wink:
Thank you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back