iFi audio GO blu - Super small. Super light. Super Sound.
Sep 27, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #346 of 1,587
While that might be true of the Blu, I have been successful with my Lotoo S1 and only a straight usbc to Lightning cable connecting to my iPad.
Exactly, so does my L&P to an iPhone

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #347 of 1,587
Because those devices have a certain chip inside for that the makers are paying to Apple. Seems that iFi did not take that road...so yes, in that case the camera connection kit is needed....

Sep 27, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #348 of 1,587
Because those devices have a certain chip inside for that the makers are paying to Apple. Seems that iFi did not take that road...so yes, in that case the camera connection kit is needed....
In that case for £199 a return is needed I'm afraid

Sep 27, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #349 of 1,587
Ty, you just helped me save 200$

Sep 27, 2021 at 10:50 PM Post #351 of 1,587
I had ifi go blu for one week now and I have put it through its pace. Overall I am happy with the device as it meets the purpose I got it for .. small portable with great sound .. and it delivers on all of it..

BUT… here are some findings or quirks
  • Hiss.. I have seen the quantity of hiss you hear is based on codec you select. Also when you turn on device it hisses for 3 secs and goes dead silent. Then play something on phone and in some quiet portions you can notice the slight hiss . Again it is there if you look for it . In non critical listening or when outside I doubt anyone would discern. I am bit spoilt so it wanted it to be dead silent
  • Battery life.. I had to charge the device 3 times total in a week based on my regular listening mode. What codec you choose has drastic impact on battery life. With LDAC I get about 5.5 hrs , with Aptx I get 7 hrs. Also xbass and xspace chew through the battery life.But it needs few cycles to stabilize battery . I have seen the same issue wit UE fits tws which had horrendous battery life first few weeks now I get constant 5 hrs with it
  • Connection range - again this is codec dependent.. with LDAC and AptxHd I get shortest coverage maybe. 10 to 15 feet with Aptx it gives me more than 30 ft same as my other tws iems. Looks like non metal body is not doing much with improving range. My Sony WM1z with metal body and Bluetooth 4.1 has better range than ifi go blu
  • Connection stability.. I had one issue with LDAC connection. When I moved outside it’s range it just dropped the connection and I had to manually restart on my phone. My other tws iems stutter but reconnect when back in range. This didn’t atleast for LDAC
  • Playback controls.. when I lost connection and restarted back on phone. Some playback controls like play pause didn’t work. I had to forget the device in Bluetooth and reconnect for all things to work. This could be android issue or poweramp player issue as well
  • LED colors. .. the color for xbass on and xbass +xspace on looks same to me .. it is nether yellow or white. Not a issue I just cycle but a quirk nonetheless
  • Android quirk., with LDAC it always chooses “best effort” which is in between 330 kbps and 900 kbps. At this quality it sounds worse than SBC. Also when you change the sampling to 16/44 and best quality (990 kbps) for LDAC in developer options it resets back to default every time you connect blu to the phone.. the default settings for LDAC is 32/96 best effort. So I decided to keep it on Aptx HD . I could barely tell the difference between LDAC 990 kbps vs Aptx HD.. but I wish I could use the full LDAC bandwidth always on my phone
Even though I am bit annoyed by the presence of slight hiss with K10s it is really non issue during playback especially during non critical listening session. However the sound signature of this player makes for all these small issues. It is simply musical and organic and puts a smile on my face. Detail retrieval is very good and I like tonal accuracy. Hence keeping it. I was considering up5 but I find ESS Sabre sound bit fatiguing.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021 at 10:53 PM Post #352 of 1,587
So, if I've got Hip-Dac with my IEM and used to using it with my IEMS there is no reason to change to Go Blu?
And for full-size headphones Hip-Dac is more suitable?
I think you should get this only if want wireless sound for you non wireless iems or headphones. If you are wiring there are better cheaper options . But this is good at what it does provides great wireless sound in extremely small package

Sep 27, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #353 of 1,587
with L&P in your stable why are you going with ifi blu to be in in wired. I heard L&P has one of the most detailed sound wired. I think that defeats the purpose. I was just curious on what made you consider ifi go blu. This player IMO makes sense if want to go purely wireless

Sep 27, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #354 of 1,587
I had ifi go blu for one week now and I have put it through its pace. Overall I am happy with the device as it meets the purpose I got it for .. small portable with great sound .. and it delivers on all of it..

BUT… here are some findings or quirks
  • Hiss.. I have seen the quantity of hiss you hear is based on codec you select. Also when you turn on device it hisses for 3 secs and goes dead silent. Then play something on phone and in some quiet portions you can notice the slight hiss . Again it is there if you look for it . In non critical listening or when outside I doubt anyone would discern. I am bit spoilt so it wanted it to be dead silent
  • Battery life.. I had to charge the device 3 times total in a week based on my regular listening mode. What codec you choose has drastic impact on battery life. With LDAC I get about 5.5 hrs , with Aptx I get 7 hrs. Also xbass and xspace chew through the battery life.But it needs few cycles to stabilize battery . I have seen the same issue wit UE fits tws which had horrendous battery life first few weeks now I get constant 5 hrs with it
  • Connection range - again this is codec dependent.. with LDAC and AptxHd I get shortest coverage maybe. 10 to 15 feet with Aptx it gives me more than 30 ft same as my other tws iems. Looks like non metal body is not doing much with improving range. My Sony WM1z which metal body and Bluetooth 4.1 has better range than ifi go blu
  • Connection stability.. I had one issue with LDAC connection. When I moved outside it’s range it just dropped the connection and I had to manually restart on my phone. My other tws iems stutter but reconnect when back in range. This didn’t atleast for LDAC
  • Playback controls.. when I lost connection and restarted back on phone. Some playback controls like play pause didn’t work. I had to forget the device in Bluetooth and reconnect for all things to work. This could be android issue or poweramp player issue as well
  • LED colors. .. the color for xbass on and xbass +xspace on looks same to me .. it is nether yellow or white. Not a issue I just cycle but a quirk nonetheless
  • Android quirk., with LDAC it always chooses “best effort” which is in between 330 kbps and 900 kbps. At this quality it sounds worse than SBC. Also when you change the sampling to 16/44 and best quality (990 kbps) for LDAC in developer options it resets back to default every time you connect blu to the phone.. the default settings for LDAC is 32/96 best effort. So I decided to keep it on Aptx HD . I could barely tell the difference between LDAC 990 kbps vs Aptx HD.. but I wish I could use the full LDAC bandwidth always on my phone
Even though I am bit annoyed by the presence of slight hiss with K10s it is really non issue during playback especially during non critical listening session. However the sound signature of this player makes for all these small issues. It is simply musical and organic and puts a smile on my face. Detail retrieval is very good and I like tonal accuracy. Hence keeping it. I was considering up5 but I find ESS Sabre sound bit fatiguing.
I find the connection range limited also as you stated for LDAC and AptX HD.

Sep 28, 2021 at 1:56 AM Post #355 of 1,587
About this 'hiss' problem, i hope this will be solved through an update ...
I am tempting to buy this little fellow but for that kind of money no 'hiss' please.
Also what animalsrush described above about the Ldac quality settings set back to low default, this kind of stuff needs to be good.

Sep 28, 2021 at 3:42 AM Post #357 of 1,587
Also what animalsrush described above about the Ldac quality settings set back to low default, this kind of stuff needs to be good.

LDAC setting is determined by the particular smartphone (source) in use and not by the Bluetooth headphones adapter. For example, some Samsung smartphones always reset its LDAC setting back to Best Effort after restart because Best SQ setting has the tendency to interfere with the screen Samsung used. On most Sony smartphones however, you won't find such an issue and the LDAC setting will remains on Best SQ.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2021 at 6:06 AM Post #358 of 1,587
My first ifi -- I just got one, replacing a BTR5 as my on the rush solution. I need something lighter, with a volume knob and a 4.4 connection. I skip getting the new 2021 BTR5 with MQA as it is still too heavy, without a volume knob, and without 4.4. However, it would have been great if my new toy ( go blu ) as well had a more capable USB audio solution with MQA. I have always gone for Sabre with its neutral sound and moving into this one my sound surely get coloured and warmed up. So far I love the sound from this thing although not very accurate. I love the way I may tweak the base and spacious setting. I may also get a Shangling UP5 for its USB caps to use when at the computer. At home, I plug my phone into an SMSL M500 with its flagship Sabre pro. The sound from my E1DA 9038S G3 Susumu is great, but since it is not very practical, it is going to retire. I have asked the E1DA community and designer repetitively for way too long to add a volume knob, a battery and a BT stack but always get the response that they want to keep it simple and that adding such is not a good idea. Not listening to me as a consumer what I want has made me consider alternatives. ifi blue is fantastic, but I am extremely curious how it compares to Shabngling UP5. Ifi Go Blu is the most expensive of them all, but damn, this little tiny beautiful well made thing is good and I am having more fun than ever with all the settings...

ififblue.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #359 of 1,587
Just received my Go Blu, delighted with it so far. Looks nicer than it does in the pics. Very easy to operate. Just going through some tracks I always play with new devices and earphones, so far it sounds great.

I'm using a Sony phone so it instantly connected with LDAC and as usual there is the option for best effort or best sound quality. I always have my phone on me or within reach so range is a non issue for me. I wish it had a clip though.

Sep 28, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #360 of 1,587
Just received my Go Blu, delighted with it so far. Looks nicer than it does in the pics. Very easy to operate. Just going through some tracks I always play with new devices and earphones, so far it sounds great.

I'm using a Sony phone so it instantly connected with LDAC and as usual there is the option for best effort or best sound quality. I always have my phone on me or within reach so range is a non issue for me. I wish it had a clip though.
Please let us know how you feel wrt battery life and BT stability once you feel you've got enough hours under your belt 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back