iFi audio GO blu - Super small. Super light. Super Sound.
Sep 13, 2021 at 5:56 AM Post #166 of 1,588
£199 is extortion pure and simple.
$199 is around £144 currently.
If IFI can afford to sell to the US at this price...
Getting screwed again and by a British company no less. Sad.

New Fiio Btr5 on the way and less than half the price.
$199 would be before tax though (due the the way tax works in the USA) and £199 is after tax so that makes quite a big difference to list prices.

Sep 13, 2021 at 6:58 AM Post #167 of 1,588
Don't worry, there isn't for this one.

I guess we can trust you this time (unlike the Zen DAC Signature V2)?

No plans for it at the moment, sorry!

That was in July :wink:

But you did talk and what was said was false: "No plans for it at the moment, sorry!"

Not really the same thing, IMO.

If something was coming out next week, would I be able to tell you about it? No. Plans are the same.

Thanks for understanding that we can't talk about products pre-launch, no matter how close they are to launch.

Sorry, but I could not resist as the new owner of an almost immediately obsolete iFi product.

Sep 13, 2021 at 7:04 AM Post #168 of 1,588
$199 would be before tax though (due the the way tax works in the USA) and £199 is after tax so that makes quite a big difference to list prices.
No. US sales tax is less than 10% generally. So even if it was $220 in total, that would still work out at slightly less than £160 including tax.
A rip off is just that. But then, living in the UK and being screwed on pricing is par the course; Apple does it with everything they sell here.
IFI is British company; they are taking UK consumers for a ride as seems to be normal practice.
Personally, I feel this is quite reprehensible.

Sep 13, 2021 at 7:46 AM Post #169 of 1,588
Will it connect to a Samsung led TV from 2016 in Bluetooth mode?
Prolly need to get an audio extractor with optical output and feed that to a bluetooth transmitter with optical input. Fiio makes good bluetooth transmitter. But the risk of lip sync problem exist. Hopefully someone will make a hdmi input bluetooth transmitter for this, that way we can get hd/3d multichannel decoder over bluetooth.

Sep 13, 2021 at 8:00 AM Post #170 of 1,588
The BTR5 is A$179 while the Blu is A$299 here in the southern hemisphere hermit shitzville. Exchange rates are weird things for sure 😂

That's around the same price of what I paid here in Indonesia... both BTR5 back in the day and the GO blu. :D

That's great news because no matter how good the sound quality is in a Bluetooth receiver, a dead battery leads to no sound quality. I'm lucky if I get 4 hours out of the BTR5 on high gain, balanced and volume 26/60. The Z1Rs are not exactly easy to drive.

I'm quite surprised of how long this goes on. Usually, I only expect around half of what the manufacturer rated (which usually rated for the lower bitrate codec and single ended output), but this get really close to what iFi claimed of 10 hours, despite me running it all day in balanced + LDAC.

Charge time is quick too. I think less than an hour from my power bank.

Sep 13, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #171 of 1,588
Well, a DAP can certainly do the Bluetooth receiver duty nowadays, but they are also usually bigger and heavier, sometime also runs hotter. They also lack the mic input, in case you need to take a call.

I still prefer to use the dongle type though, it's easier to fit a dongle and a phone in the same pocket, than fitting a DAP and a phone.

For me, if similar priced matchboxes (Go Blu and R3 Pro) sound similar then I find value in being able to carry more matches in a slightly bigger matchbox. If the smaller matchbox sounds significantly better, then I would prefer it over more storage. But If I can find another matchbox that's significantly cheaper (ie QK5) and sounds similar to all the other matchboxes, then I would get that over all the others. Anyways, time will tell how this matchbox sounds, I hope as good as it looks.

Sep 13, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #172 of 1,588
Well, me personally I see several advantages of a BT dongle over a middle class DAP, depending on the usage scenario. Many middle class DAPs have a super slow OS system and don`t work well with streaming services. BT devices can be used with modern smart devices and I can easily switch between my phone and computer, for example - when I am on the go or at work. And most importantly, they are truly small and portable...hey we are talking about "portable audio" here! :smile_phones: I am also convinced (or: have tried out by myself extensively) that sq differences between sources like the R3 Pro and BTR5 (and others) are much, much smaller than most people would think! I know this might be a provoking statement for some and I know there are several opinons on this topic....but I can at least say I am quite long in this hobby and have tried out and listened to a lot of different devices...

Totally agree with you on the small sound differences. I can hardly tell between sources/dacs/amps, and even if I could spot a difference, I don't know if I could tell if the difference is for the better or worse.

But I do believe that even if I couldn't tell a difference immediately, I would still like to consume the best audio that I can afford.

Sep 13, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #173 of 1,588
Super small. Super light. Super Sound.

iFi’s uniquely specified mobile Bluetooth DAC/headphone amp – the GO blu – delivers heavenly headphone sound on the go

1.png

Southport, England – iFi’s acclaimed DAC/headphone amps have formed a cornerstone of the company’s product range since its formation in 2012, delivering brilliant sound from smartphones, tablets, PCs, Macs and more. Some of these devices include rechargeable batteries and are sized to make them conveniently portable. None, however, are as eminently pocketable as the GO blu – iFi’s most diminutive DAC/headphone amp yet. But, while it may be delightfully small (55x34x13mm, similar in size to a matchbox or Zippo lighter) and weigh just 26g (less than an AA battery), this pocket rocket delivers a performance that is remarkably mighty.

To maximise mobile convenience, the GO blu pairs wirelessly with the user’s source device via Bluetooth. No more messing around with restrictive USB cables and dongles, worrying about whether you’ve got the right OTG cable for your Android device, or Lightning to USB Camera Adapter for your Apple iOS device. Just pair… and GO!

2a.jpg
2b.jpg

iFi GO blu, front and back – small yet impeccably formed, complete with ChronoDial watch crown-style control

But while the GO blu majors on convenience, there’s not a hint of compromise when it comes to sound quality. Most pocket-size Bluetooth DAC/headphone amps incorporate all-in-one ‘system on a chip’ solutions to deliver input processing, digital-to-analogue signal conversion and amplification. These are simple to implement, compact and cost-effective, but they cannot compare with expertly designed, individually optimised circuit stages when it comes to sound quality. Uniquely for a device of this type and size, the GO blu’s clever design packs in separate Bluetooth, DAC and amp stages, each engineered in distinct blocks to deliver the ideal combination of cutting-edge specification and superb sound.

Bluetooth and DAC stages

The way iFi implements Bluetooth is anything but ‘run of the mill’ and despite its diminutive size the GO blu is no exception. Making full use of Qualcomm’s latest four-core QCC5100 Bluetooth processing chip, every current high-definition Bluetooth audio format is supported, including aptX Adaptive and aptX HD, LDAC and HWA/LHDC. Other codecs covered include regular aptX and aptX Low Latency, AAC and SBC (the ‘plain vanilla’ Bluetooth codec).

This means that every possible source device is handled at the highest audio resolution its Bluetooth specification allows – no other pocket-size DAC/amp delivers such comprehensive codec support, or such high-quality sound over Bluetooth. The GO blu is Bluetooth v5.1-compliant, ensuring the best possible range, stability and performance, and its ‘Bluetooth engine’ can be updated over the air.

The Bluetooth stage feeds the DAC stage, with a Cirrus Logic 32-bit DAC chip at its heart. This is coupled with a customised digital filter to minimise pre-echoes and ringing artefacts, and a precision clock system to ensure ultra-low jitter, thus reducing errors and distortion in the digital audio signal.

Amplifier stage

The analogue circuitry in many of iFi’s recently launched audio devices has focused on balanced design, traditionally a high-end concept; remarkably, the GO blu is no exception, despite its diminutive size. The amp circuitry benefits from symmetrical twin-mono signal paths and utilises iFi’s Direct Drive design concept – direct-coupled to ensure a clean signal path without distortion-inducing output coupling capacitors.

In true iFi fashion, the GO blu incorporates circuit components of a quality not commonly found in a device of this kind, including TDK C0G multilayer ceramic capacitors and inductors from Taiyo Yuden and Murata. The net result is ultra-low distortion across the entire signal bandwidth, delivering sound that is purer, clearer and more naturally expressive.

The amp stage delivers up to 5.6V – considerably more power than other similarly sized devices – handling even relatively tough headphone loads with ease. To ensure signal strength suits the sensitivity of the connected headphones or earphones, auto-gain adjusts output up or down by 6dB.

3.jpg

3.5mm and 4.4mm headphone outputs viewed from the top, along with the ChronoDial multifunction control

Further sonic tailoring is provided by two user-selectable features familiar to users of other portable headphone amps from iFi. The first is XBass, a sophisticated form of ‘bass boost’ that enhances low frequencies without muddying the midrange, particularly useful with earphones and open-back headphones that may lack deep bass. The second is XSpace, a setting designed to compensate for the ‘in-head localisation’ effect that can occur when using headphones to listen to music that was mixed using a pair of speakers, effectively widening the headphone soundstage to deliver a more spacious and speaker-like experience. Both these optional settings operate entirely in the analogue domain rather than messing with the digital signal via DSP (Digital Signal Processing) and may be switched in or out of the signal path.

4.jpg

At the other end reside a USB-C port for charging (also doubles as an audio input) and a built-in mic

A pair of headphone outputs are provided – a 3.5mm socket for headphones with a single-ended cable/connector, and a gold-plated 4.4mm Pentaconn output enabling headphones equipped with balanced connectivity to take full advantage of the GO blu’s balanced amp design. In addition, the 3.5mm output benefits from iFi’s S-Balanced circuitry, cutting crosstalk and related distortion in half when used with regular, single-ended headphone connections.

Why not just use Bluetooth headphones or earbuds instead?

A fair question. After all, there’s nothing more convenient than popping a couple of wireless earbuds in your ears and pairing them directly with your source device. It all comes down to sound quality – wireless headphones or earphones of any kind integrate Bluetooth processing, D/A conversion and amplification into a tiny space and there is a ceiling to the sound quality that can be achieved. Choose a good pair of corded headphones or in-ear monitors, and team them with a separate, high-quality portable DAC/headphone amp, and the sound quality you will achieve will beat any pair of wireless headphone or earphones hands down.

With the GO blu, you get the convenience of a powerful, pocketable DAC/headphone amp with Bluetooth connectivity, married to exceptional sound quality to sate the sonic appetite of even the most demanding music lover. A perfect combination!

All systems GO!

With its lightweight, soft-touch polymer enclosure (great for Bluetooth reception, unlike signal-blocking metal), copper-coloured trim and ChronoDial watch crown-style control, the GO blu is a pleasure to use wherever you go. iFi has even incorporated a high-quality chip-based (CMOS-MEMS) microphone, enabling hands-free calls, voice chat for gaming and access to voice assistants such as Apple Siri and Google Assistant.

Further flexibility is provided by the USB-C charging port, which doubles as an audio input enabling USB connection from source devices that don’t offer Bluetooth connectivity. Hi-res PCM audio data up to
24-bit/96kHz is supported when the GO blu is connected in this way.

5.jpg

Similar in size to a matchbox or Zippo lighter, the iFi GO blu is a real pocket rocket

Small, convenient, uniquely specified and great sounding, the iFi GO blu is the ultimate go-anywhere upgrade to elevate your headphone experience – available from selected retailers from 10 September at an RRP of £199.

iFi audio GO blu - summary
  • Pocket-size DAC/amp delivers heavenly headphone sound on the go
  • Connect wirelessly to phones, tablets and computers via high-definition Bluetooth
  • Separate Bluetooth, DAC and amp stages – individually optimised for maximum performance
  • Balanced analogue circuit design delivers captivating sonic power and finesse
  • Fully balanced and S-Balanced outputs make the most of all headphone and earphone types
  • Whatever the source device – Android, iOS, PC or Mac – GO blu delivers maximum sound quality over Bluetooth
iFi audio GO blu - key features
  • Advanced Bluetooth module with QCC5100 handles every HD format
  • Supported codecs include: aptX, aptX HD, aptX LL, aptX Adaptive, LDAC, HWA/LHDC, AAC, SBC
  • Hi-res DAC stage with ultra-low jitter and customised digital filter
  • Amp stage with twin-mono signal paths and Direct Drive technology ensures ultra-low distortion
  • Precision rotary volume control with auto-gain – adjusts output to match your headphones
  • Delivers up to 5.6V of power – drives even tough headphone loads with ease
  • Two headphone outputs: 4.4mm Pentaconn fully balanced and 3.5mm S-Balanced
  • S-Balanced output cuts distortion by 50% with single-ended headphone connections
  • XBass and XSpace – tailor sound to suit your headphones and personal sonic taste
  • Built-in mic for hands-free calls when paired with your smartphone
  • Can also be used as a Bluetooth receiver in a speaker-based audio system (via the 3.5mm output) or as a USB DAC/headphone amp (via the USB-C charging port)
  • Battery life – approximately eight hours (varies according to volume level and the power demands of the connected headphones/earphones)

iFi’s uniquely specified mobile Bluetooth DAC/headphone amp – the GO blu – delivers heavenly headphone sound on the go

1.png

Southport, England – iFi’s acclaimed DAC/headphone amps have formed a cornerstone of the company’s product range since its formation in 2012, delivering brilliant sound from smartphones, tablets, PCs, Macs and more. Some of these devices include rechargeable batteries and are sized to make them conveniently portable. None, however, are as eminently pocketable as the GO blu – iFi’s most diminutive DAC/headphone amp yet. But, while it may be delightfully small (55x34x13mm, similar in size to a matchbox or Zippo lighter) and weigh just 26g (less than an AA battery), this pocket rocket delivers a performance that is remarkably mighty.

To maximise mobile convenience, the GO blu pairs wirelessly with the user’s source device via Bluetooth. No more messing around with restrictive USB cables and dongles, worrying about whether you’ve got the right OTG cable for your Android device, or Lightning to USB Camera Adapter for your Apple iOS device. Just pair… and GO!

2a.jpg
2b.jpg

iFi GO blu, front and back – small yet impeccably formed, complete with ChronoDial watch crown-style control

But while the GO blu majors on convenience, there’s not a hint of compromise when it comes to sound quality. Most pocket-size Bluetooth DAC/headphone amps incorporate all-in-one ‘system on a chip’ solutions to deliver input processing, digital-to-analogue signal conversion and amplification. These are simple to implement, compact and cost-effective, but they cannot compare with expertly designed, individually optimised circuit stages when it comes to sound quality. Uniquely for a device of this type and size, the GO blu’s clever design packs in separate Bluetooth, DAC and amp stages, each engineered in distinct blocks to deliver the ideal combination of cutting-edge specification and superb sound.

Bluetooth and DAC stages

The way iFi implements Bluetooth is anything but ‘run of the mill’ and despite its diminutive size the GO blu is no exception. Making full use of Qualcomm’s latest four-core QCC5100 Bluetooth processing chip, every current high-definition Bluetooth audio format is supported, including aptX Adaptive and aptX HD, LDAC and HWA/LHDC. Other codecs covered include regular aptX and aptX Low Latency, AAC and SBC (the ‘plain vanilla’ Bluetooth codec).

This means that every possible source device is handled at the highest audio resolution its Bluetooth specification allows – no other pocket-size DAC/amp delivers such comprehensive codec support, or such high-quality sound over Bluetooth. The GO blu is Bluetooth v5.1-compliant, ensuring the best possible range, stability and performance, and its ‘Bluetooth engine’ can be updated over the air.

The Bluetooth stage feeds the DAC stage, with a Cirrus Logic 32-bit DAC chip at its heart. This is coupled with a customised digital filter to minimise pre-echoes and ringing artefacts, and a precision clock system to ensure ultra-low jitter, thus reducing errors and distortion in the digital audio signal.

Amplifier stage

The analogue circuitry in many of iFi’s recently launched audio devices has focused on balanced design, traditionally a high-end concept; remarkably, the GO blu is no exception, despite its diminutive size. The amp circuitry benefits from symmetrical twin-mono signal paths and utilises iFi’s Direct Drive design concept – direct-coupled to ensure a clean signal path without distortion-inducing output coupling capacitors.

In true iFi fashion, the GO blu incorporates circuit components of a quality not commonly found in a device of this kind, including TDK C0G multilayer ceramic capacitors and inductors from Taiyo Yuden and Murata. The net result is ultra-low distortion across the entire signal bandwidth, delivering sound that is purer, clearer and more naturally expressive.

The amp stage delivers up to 5.6V – considerably more power than other similarly sized devices – handling even relatively tough headphone loads with ease. To ensure signal strength suits the sensitivity of the connected headphones or earphones, auto-gain adjusts output up or down by 6dB.

3.jpg

3.5mm and 4.4mm headphone outputs viewed from the top, along with the ChronoDial multifunction control

Further sonic tailoring is provided by two user-selectable features familiar to users of other portable headphone amps from iFi. The first is XBass, a sophisticated form of ‘bass boost’ that enhances low frequencies without muddying the midrange, particularly useful with earphones and open-back headphones that may lack deep bass. The second is XSpace, a setting designed to compensate for the ‘in-head localisation’ effect that can occur when using headphones to listen to music that was mixed using a pair of speakers, effectively widening the headphone soundstage to deliver a more spacious and speaker-like experience. Both these optional settings operate entirely in the analogue domain rather than messing with the digital signal via DSP (Digital Signal Processing) and may be switched in or out of the signal path.

4.jpg

At the other end reside a USB-C port for charging (also doubles as an audio input) and a built-in mic

A pair of headphone outputs are provided – a 3.5mm socket for headphones with a single-ended cable/connector, and a gold-plated 4.4mm Pentaconn output enabling headphones equipped with balanced connectivity to take full advantage of the GO blu’s balanced amp design. In addition, the 3.5mm output benefits from iFi’s S-Balanced circuitry, cutting crosstalk and related distortion in half when used with regular, single-ended headphone connections.

A fair question. After all, there’s nothing more convenient than popping a couple of wireless earbuds in your ears and pairing them directly with your source device. It all comes down to sound quality – wireless headphones or earphones of any kind integrate Bluetooth processing, D/A conversion and amplification into a tiny space and there is a ceiling to the sound quality that can be achieved. Choose a good pair of corded headphones or in-ear monitors, and team them with a separate, high-quality portable DAC/headphone amp, and the sound quality you will achieve will beat any pair of wireless headphone or earphones hands down.

With the GO blu, you get the convenience of a powerful, pocketable DAC/headphone amp with Bluetooth connectivity, married to exceptional sound quality to sate the sonic appetite of even the most demanding music lover. A perfect combination!

All systems GO!

With its lightweight, soft-touch polymer enclosure (great for Bluetooth reception, unlike signal-blocking metal), copper-coloured trim and ChronoDial watch crown-style control, the GO blu is a pleasure to use wherever you go. iFi has even incorporated a high-quality chip-based (CMOS-MEMS) microphone, enabling hands-free calls, voice chat for gaming and access to voice assistants such as Apple Siri and Google Assistant.

Further flexibility is provided by the USB-C charging port, which doubles as an audio input enabling USB connection from source devices that don’t offer Bluetooth connectivity. Hi-res PCM audio data up to

5.jpg

Similar in size to a matchbox or Zippo lighter, the iFi GO blu is a real pocket rocket

Small, convenient, uniquely specified and great sounding, the iFi GO blu is the ultimate go-anywhere upgrade to elevate your headphone experience – available from selected retailers from 10 September at an RRP of £199.

• Connect wirelessly to phones, tablets and computers via high-definition Bluetooth
  • Separate Bluetooth, DAC and amp stages – individually optimised for maximum performance
  • Fully balanced and S-Balanced outputs make the most of all headphone and earphone types
  • Whatever the source device – Android, iOS, PC or Mac – GO blu delivers maximum sound quality over Bluetooth
  • Supported codecs include: aptX, aptX HD, aptX LL, aptX Adaptive, LDAC, HWA/LHDC, AAC, SBC
  • Amp stage with twin-mono signal paths and Direct Drive technology ensures ultra-low distortion
  • Precision rotary volume control with auto-gain – adjusts output to match your headphones
  • S-Balanced output cuts distortion by 50% with single-ended headphone connections
  • XBass and XSpace – tailor sound to suit your headphones and personal sonic taste
  • Can also be used as a Bluetooth receiver in a speaker-based audio system (via the 3.5mm output) or as a USB DAC/headphone amp (via the USB-C charging port)
  • Battery life – approximately eight hours (varies according to volume level and the power demands of the connected headphones/earphones)

Sep 13, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #174 of 1,588

1.png

2a.jpg
2b.jpg

Bluetooth and DAC stages

Amplifier stage

3.jpg

4.jpg

All systems GO!

5.jpg

Can this support 24/192 high res files?

Sep 13, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #176 of 1,588
iFi boxes are starting to pile up in my closet…. I’m restraining myself from preordering this from Audio46 like I bought the Diablo on release day.

But the Diablo had the travel case, iPurifier3 and iPower thrown in as a free bonus (iFi has done this with past releases) so that made it an easier buy.

iFi usually hits the nail on the head with their hardware designs. I was just comparing what others’ suggest at half the price but they’re not pretty/cute.

I guess I’ll wait since I’m not a hardcore IEM enthusiast but this seems like what I need when I sit with my IEM at a bar.

Actually, this might be my pull into discovering more IEMs which I honestly largely dismiss.

Hope this encourages you to consider IEMs! It's a really fun area of the hobby, and my only lane into the hobby when I was a student.

Curious how this stacks up against the hip dac.

What aspects would you like to know more about when talking about both?

I guess we can trust you this time (unlike the Zen DAC Signature V2)?

Sorry, but I could not resist as the new owner of an almost immediately obsolete iFi product.

Time will tell :)

I'm quite surprised of how long this goes on. Usually, I only expect around half of what the manufacturer rated (which usually rated for the lower bitrate codec and single ended output), but this get really close to what iFi claimed of 10 hours, despite me running it all day in balanced + LDAC.

Charge time is quick too. I think less than an hour from my power bank.

Great! Thanks for posting your continued feedback - any updates more feedback on sound now as you've been a few days in?

Sep 13, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #178 of 1,588
Great! Thanks for posting your continued feedback - any updates more feedback on sound now as you've been a few days in?

It seems to get a bit smoother as time goes on. I like this sound sig, not very technical but enjoyable. The only thing I hope it could be improved is to have lower noise level. :)

One thing I noticed, let me know if you can confirm... I paired it to a second device, which I only occasionally use. But then each time I turned it on again, it won't automatically connect to my first device anymore. I had to manually connect it instead, despite it being the last device I connected to.

Sep 13, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #179 of 1,588
Looks cool. I *just* got the Qudelix 5K, so I'm not gonna buy anything else anytime soon, but I love the design.

Sep 13, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #180 of 1,588
Personally I am comparing bluetooth dongles/receivers to DAPs because the DAPs can also act like a dongle/receiver too. So when I look at the minimal price difference between say the Hiby R3 Pro and the iFi GO Blu, I wonder if a DAP will have comparable sound quality when used as a dongle/receiver.

Personally I would buy whatever has the better sound quality, but if its similar and I get more features on a DAP, why not a get DAP?
Because I prefer to use my phone for music, reducing the number of devices I need to carry. Plus I don't need onboard storage since all of my music is streamed. The GO blu looks to be a nice companion for a phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back