iFi audio GO Bar - The Best Pocketable HiFi System, Bar None!
Jun 10, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #241 of 1,190
Seems like we went backwards with 1.70 on iOS. Went back to not working with ddHifi MFI06S like with the launch firmware. Tried two different phones and Roon/Tidal/Apple Music and out of those 6 possible combinations none worked. Tried 1.7a and it works fine. Might want to avoid 1.70 if you're on iPhone.

Jun 10, 2022 at 10:05 PM Post #245 of 1,190
Anyone here compared gold bar/go bar with gryphon?

From memory, since the Gryphon is now returned, they sound closer than you could possibly imagine.
So close that if you don't want the extra power, the internal battery and the Bluetooth it is very difficult not to prefer the Gold bar.
Honestly I am so thrilled with the sound performance of the Gold bar that I am seriously thinking of buying the review unit.
The only real downside is that it drains my battery faster than I like and it is a little heavy.

Jun 10, 2022 at 10:20 PM Post #246 of 1,190
he said gold bar better than mojo2

Anyone here compared gold bar/go bar with gryphon?
Gavin does good work but I am a little confused that he said the Mojo 2 is better than the Gryphon on one video, then says that the Gold Bar is better than the Mojo 2, but in a comment says that the Gryphon is better than the Gold Bar.

I think with all reviewers, they help us to an extent but it's important to gather as much info from as many sources as possible. They're only humans giving subjective impressions.

My take away is that most people would be more than happy with any one of those three devices. Just make sure the feature set suits your needs.

Jun 10, 2022 at 10:23 PM Post #247 of 1,190
Gavin does good work but I am a little confused that he said the Mojo 2 is better than the Gryphon on one video, then says that the Gold Bar is better than the Mojo 2, but in a comment says that the Gryphon is better than the Gold Bar.

I think with all reviewers, they help us to an extent but it's important to gather as much info from as many sources as possible. They're only humans giving subjective impressions.

My take away is that most people would be more than happy with any one of those three devices. Just make sure the feature set suits your needs.
yes I noticed that. that means they are very close in sound quality.

I am sure gold bar is better than my n8ii

Jun 11, 2022 at 7:35 AM Post #248 of 1,190

The context on my comment was replying to a question. The context was in relation to the additional features the Gryphon offers eg Bluetooth. They are also two different devices with different use cases and physical size, so a comparison is not always fair as such. If it helps, Gold Go Bar all the way for me as it fits much better in my portable life, even better than the Gryphon for me personally. The compact size of the Gold Go Bar is too hard to ignore. However, if the Gryphon had specific features or specs that where a must have, then I recommend buying this instead.

Context on my other video of the Mojo 2 vs Gryphon. I said both were excellent. I highlighted the benefits of the Gryphon over the Mojo 2 and vice versa. I preferred the Mojo 2 for its extra fine micro details, but I hated the Mojo 2 for using micro USB, and missed the Bluetooth that the Gryphon has and the Mojo 2 doesn't. The mojo 2 using micro USB was definitely a pain point for many in the comments. Some may pick the Gryphon as it works with MQA and the Mojo 2 doesn't. There is also the pricing difference in the US vs UK. No comparison is straightforward 😀

I spent so many many hours comparing these devices, at the end of the day, one has to reach a point and actually start enjoying one's tunes 😀

If you want the best sounding portable, the ifi Diablo is king. IMO. 😀

Jun 11, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #249 of 1,190
The context on my comment was replying to a question. The context was in relation to the additional features the Gryphon offers eg Bluetooth. They are also two different devices with different use cases and physical size, so a comparison is not always fair as such. If it helps, Gold Go Bar all the way for me as it fits much better in my portable life, even better than the Gryphon for me personally. The compact size of the Gold Go Bar is too hard to ignore. However, if the Gryphon had specific features or specs that where a must have, then I recommend buying this instead.

Context on my other video of the Mojo 2 vs Gryphon. I said both were excellent. I highlighted the benefits of the Gryphon over the Mojo 2 and vice versa. I preferred the Mojo 2 for its extra fine micro details, but I hated the Mojo 2 for using micro USB, and missed the Bluetooth that the Gryphon has and the Mojo 2 doesn't. The mojo 2 using micro USB was definitely a pain point for many in the comments. Some may pick the Gryphon as it works with MQA and the Mojo 2 doesn't. There is also the pricing difference in the US vs UK. No comparison is straightforward 😀

I spent so many many hours comparing these devices, at the end of the day, one has to reach a point and actually start enjoying one's tunes 😀

If you want the best sounding portable, the ifi Diablo is king. IMO. 😀
Thanks for that. Appreciate the clarification.

Good to know the Diablo is the best sounding portable (it really ought to be for the price it commands and good to see prices actually reflecting SQ). I tried it once but don't remember it well as it was very brief.

Personally the best sounding portable I've tried properly is the Dethonray Honey. On SQ alone I'd personally put it ahead of the ifi micro iDSD Signature, Cayin RU6, Monolith THX Portable. I have a Mojo 2 on the way to see if it can De-throne-ray it (sorry couldn't help it).

Out of the Gold Bar, Gryphon and Mojo 2 could you say which you think is the best sounding regardless of use case or features (and what aspects of the sound make it stand out)?

Jun 11, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #250 of 1,190
This afternoon I had the time and the opportunity to try out for GO Bar 10 and compare it to the Mojo 2, and the Zen Signature V2. These are all 3 very good units and of course they all differ in sound signature. My main source is my Thorens TD-1500 turntable with an Ortofon SPU Classic cartridge. I dig this one! It has a very mature and stress free sound. Brass instruments sound more realistic than with any other cartridge I have ever tried.

When I listened to the GO Bar 10, it immediately felt like home, like the fantastic Ortofon so to say.

It’s fluid, organic, and very realistic and natural sounding. It doesn’t shout at you, and there are no nasty edges. For me, it’s fantastic! Then I switched to the Mojo 2. The Mojo 2 gives the impression of being a tad more detailed, with a grain of sizzling high frequencies, and the impression of being a bit more lively perhaps. When going back to the GO Bar 10, I could not detect that suddenly something was missing. It was not less detailed at all, it just was even more civilised. The sound of the GO Bar 10 impressed me a lot. I had it connected to my amplifier, volume full open, +6dB. Then the ZEN. A very good DAC too, and an incredible bargain at half the price of the Mojo 2 (apples and oranges, I know). Made ZEN is made for home use of course, and with a €20 Pi Zero,it makes an incredibly good combination.

If I had to pick one, it would be small with only 3 buttons :wink:

Jun 12, 2022 at 8:10 AM Post #251 of 1,190
Has anybody tried using the regular Go Bar with a Dave Clark Audio Aeon 2? Those headphones are a bit picky about their amps and the Dragonfly isn't capable of driving them optimally. If the Go Bar can, it seems like a perfect alternative.

Jun 12, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #252 of 1,190

Yeah saw that was surprised he said that as well thought he liked mojo more compared to gryphon but I completely agree with you doing resource yourself is the best way finding out but still then you need to try it to know for sure

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2022 at 6:11 PM Post #253 of 1,190
It is known that a converter is used here CS43131 (converter one, it's a pity that not two)
Now i need to find out which opAMP is installed here, I see that there are two of them, but I need an accurate marking.
This device is very easy to disassemble with a single bolt, who has the opportunity to take a macro photo of the components?
it is a pity that it is still not on sale in China((( despite the fact that it is produced there. I would have done everything myself a long time ago. all the articles and video reviews that I see are very low level.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back