If you're coming to Australia, don't worry about the snakes...
Oct 21, 2008 at 12:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

fordgtlover

Headphoneus Supremus
...because the spiders are eating them.

Here is a set of photos taken in Cairns (Northern Queensland) recently. The snake is 14cm (5 1/2 inches).

The spider is a Red Back, which is the equivalent of the Black Widow in the US.

108131wc8.gif

108141dc8.gif

108151kv1.gif

108161wy2.gif

108171nz0.gif

108181ot0.gif

Source: Spider eats snake - Local News - Cairns, QLD, Australia

Oct 21, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #4 of 19
oh wow that is crazy!

Oct 21, 2008 at 2:16 PM Post #5 of 19
That ain't a redback.
I saw this in the news a few weeks back. Apparently it ended up in some museum according to that article. I'm not sure where that spider is from (Africa? maybe South Africa iirc) but it isn't Australia.

You know redbacks have the red on their back!
tongue.gif

plus it doesn't look like a redback, different shaped abdomen. Dozens of redbacks around my place, see them every day.

Why be scared of them? Like so many other creatures spiders are misunderstood.
And I've had redbacks in my hands and never been bitten, they are timid. Don't do this people, obviously.

Cairns local news... So Australian, to cling to anything even remotely feasible as news worthy
tongue.gif

here we go: Snake Caught in Spider's Web Photographs

Oct 21, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by silencewithin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why be scared of them? Like so many other creatures spiders are misunderstood.

There has not been a single Australian death attributable to spider bites in the last 30 years.

Nonetheless, I have no love for spiders, and these pictures don't exactly warm my heart.

Oct 22, 2008 at 5:51 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by silencewithin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Coincidentally...

This time the publication is more reliable though.
Mammoth backyard spider devours bird
This beats the snake hands down I reckon!

Cairns can rejoice.

[size=xx-large]HOLY BOVINE!!!!!!!![/size]

If I ever visit Australia (Travel Abroad program?), I hope you guys sell Desert Eagles (and ammo) like candy at every corner store.
eek.gif

Oct 22, 2008 at 6:16 AM Post #14 of 19
Wow... Golden Orbs really freak me out, but I'm glad that they don't get that big here in Sydney. Their webs are REALLY strong and sticky and they love to build them overhead between trees along footpaths, and sometimes at head-height. I hate them a lot.

Redbacks are fine, they're timid and you rarely see them, only if you disturb their nest which is usually in dark places like empty flower pots and under the deck. And they won't kill you, may make you mildly ill if bitten but that's it.

Sydney Funnel Webs, on the other hand, can kill if they bite you, but luckily I have seen them only a few times ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back