If young people have the best hearing, and men lose theirs faster than women, why are audiophiles mostly old blokes?
Nov 7, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #32 of 70
You extrapolate from salacious Madonna rumors socio-psychological truths for an entire gender... Armchair anthropology guided by gender stereotypes, confirmed by tabloid stories and action movie scenes. And the best part is you actually think you deserve an intelligent response to this garbage.

Warning someone not to commit a thoughtcrime won't pass for an intelligent response.

Nov 7, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #33 of 70
Ever see a 50 year old with a youngy sports car? Sure, at times expensive but the guy is just trying to reexperience his days of youth.

If the guy driving has a look many will say he is having a midlife crisis. I like to think of em as end of life crisis, as where is 50 in the grand scheme of things.

Still there is the 50 year old with his 2nd wife, a 29 year old trophy-wife that comes out to be a year older than his daughter.

Again, the guy is just getting another run at stuff he has memories of in youth. We all know youth is waisted on the young.

So here is this guy at Head-Fi and he remembers jumping around to Led Zeppelin in 1979. Those were great times, that feeling of men being Vikings and the whole world was there to be conquered?

To just get a taste, is worth putting a rig here together. It will never be like it was, the past and all its glory is gone. Still if you can afford the car payment, the divorce settlement and the TOTL rig, they have their moments.

Nov 7, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #34 of 70
I don't see this. What constitutes an audiophile? TOTL gears? That's the stipulation I see here..

Nov 7, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #35 of 70
I don't see this. What constitutes an audiophile? TOTL gears? That's the stipulation I see here..

No, it does not matter what you listen to. Audiophile could be listening to table top am radio. Just the love of sound.

Nov 7, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #36 of 70
Obviously not. Which is what I was getting at. If we're thinking about it through Head-Fi's perspective, then the age group is quite split.
The more TOTL "Summit" gear is ruled by older folk because of more disposable income, however, if you look at the Schiit threads,
it's more evenly split per age, for example.

I always remind myself (being fairly young atm,) this hobby of ours, this pursuit of fidelity, it's simply very niche. So wether old or young,
we're a very small segment. If you look at meet coverage there is seemingly more and more of a younger attendance - that is growing.

Nov 7, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #37 of 70

I always remind myself (being fairly young atm,) this hobby of ours, this pursuit of fidelity, it's simply very niche. So wether old or young,
we're a very small segment. If you look at meet coverage there is seemingly more and more of a younger attendance - that is growing.

That's also due to the growth of headphone gear that are available, which in turn owes its growth to necessity: highly urban lifestyle for convenience (shorter commutes to work) and generally younger people with more disposable incomes usually means living in buildings where speaker systems can get one in trouble. At least many in the suburbs might live in a detached house. Cars are going the same way: more people prefer living in a small flat or loft, or a duplex just outside of downtown, foregoing the pleasure of having a backyard for BBQs for convenient commutes, no front lawns to maintain, no real need to maintain a car or more than one, etc.

Nov 8, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #38 of 70

That's also due to the growth of headphone gear that are available, which in turn owes its growth to necessity: highly urban lifestyle for convenience (shorter commutes to work) and generally younger people with more disposable incomes usually means living in buildings where speaker systems can get one in trouble. At least many in the suburbs might live in a detached house. Cars are going the same way: more people prefer living in a small flat or loft, or a duplex just outside of downtown, foregoing the pleasure of having a backyard for BBQs for convenient commutes, no front lawns to maintain, no real need to maintain a car or more than one, etc.

I don't know dude - your philosophical views are BS IMO. I'm not trying to put things in boxes and expand on psychobabble. I can only share how I don't see our little world
as only or mostly being dominated by old blokes.

Nov 8, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #39 of 70
In your lifetime you have a chance to meet only a handful of audiophiles.

I'm not talking about Head-Fi Meets. The question you have to ask yourself is how many folks have you met from work or in your social life who really care about audio? I have met maybe only 10 in my life.

The hobby is much smaller than we think.

Just look at the popularity of Bose and Beats. Due to lack of research or interest, that's the view of "audiophile".

Nov 8, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #40 of 70
  Sorry. Not to be rude, but if you talk about science and hearing and how that relates to music, I'm in and interested. If you go off on anthropological and sociological tangents, I'm going to have a hard time keeping from rolling my eyes. Quite frankly, if I sit down on the couch with a beer to listen to Bohemian Rhapsody, I can pretty much guarantee you that cave men hunting saber toothed tigers have absolutely nothing to do with it.

Quote:
  I don't know dude - your philosophical views are BS IMO. I'm not trying to put things in boxes and expand on psychobabble. I can only share how I don't see our little world
as only or mostly being dominated by old blokes.

It's not "psychobabble," and it's not "philosophical." There is an economic aspect to all this, like how income and housing has to do with audio preferences within those who spend on serious audio gear. In any case, while I'm not crunching actual numbers, I do study human behavior for a living and for fun, and everything I've mentioned while not carrying quotations and citations were information that I did come across at some point as part of my work is to keep up with what are coming out in academic journals.

I'm tempted to hand out survey forms tomorrow at the HiFi show to get data on speaker and headphone users for example and get hard data on median age, income level, home ownership and housing specifications, but I have to keep in mind that I'm there specifically to enjoy the systems. And while I'm at it, why was it that when I responded to a serious question with a serious answer in a somewhat hilarious mood with a dash of sarcasm, I end up with deleted posts and a slew of warnings in my PM box? I wasn't dismissive, not even with cable magick folks, but that got flagged for being "condescending." Anyways I'll leave it at this since if I add more particularly to the preceding paragraph I might get accused of brow-beating people again when all I'm saying is that I have a basis for sharing info.

Nov 9, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #42 of 70
Audiophiles are mostly men because it's an interest that interests more men than women. Said before, old men tend to have more money. And based from what I've seen, they don't let hearing loss change their perception of their ability to hear details in a track even if they're wearing hearing aides. Not sure why we need an essay with very long sentences to explain this.

Nov 9, 2014 at 2:57 AM Post #43 of 70
i think mild autism accounts for a lot of the internet too.

Nov 10, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #44 of 70
Audiophiles are about gear to seek after better sound -- boys and their toys. And I agree with previously mentioned posts -- that has little to do with > 10kHz or less then 20 (though I'm not convinced that it is "balance" alone either).

Music lovers (where I put myself) are not necessarily audiophiles, in fact, I would say most are not. I personally will look for the better recording and better cans... I spend much more money on music then I do on gear. Gear is a means to an end, not the end. 

I really think the "women" factor is a lack of proper data or question: they are quite involved -- check the seats in your local orchestra, both players and attendees. Pop concerts even more so (used to work security for years at a popular venue, almost always primarily women). This could be that the "audiophile" experience is essentially anti-social and the concert going experience primarily social, but I think you'll find just as many women enjoying better music as men. 

Youth: I was once an avid music listener in my youth, most of my paltry income went to music and dates. Then college and work combined to suck all the time and money out of my life for a time: it wasn't that I was less interested or able, it was that my attentions were elsewhere and music listening was relegated to a primarily passive experience. As I grew beyond that time, active engaged listening pulled me back in. I will never forget my experience in a HiFi shop listening to female jazz vocals over Magnapan speakers - life changing and I've been seeking that experience ever since with all kinds of music I enjoy. 

All that to say, I think you are barking up the wrong tree... it's just not frequency response, nor is it something where women are not involved.

Nov 13, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #45 of 70
  In your lifetime you have a chance to meet only a handful of audiophiles.

I'm not talking about Head-Fi Meets. The question you have to ask yourself is how many folks have you met from work or in your social life who really care about audio? I have met maybe only 10 in my life.

The hobby is much smaller than we think.

Just look at the popularity of Bose and Beats. Due to lack of research or interest, that's the view of "audiophile".

Very true. Im 28 and I am the only Audiophile I know apart from friends on here that I never met in person. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back