If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
May 25, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #18,631 of 19,243
I'll check with the mesh supplier, but I don't know of any changes to the material. The funny thing is that the HF5 and ER4SR use the exact same damper so, all other variables being equal, they should perform similarly.

My HF5 finally gave out at the cable. If I'd known (the future), I'd salvaged the filters!

Now, bad from the get go is something different. That almost sounds like it was contaminated before you got it. But, if it was, it wouldn't have passed end of line testing. It's very odd.

The filter that was bad from the get-go was one of the additional filters (not one of the preinstalled filters). Just to be clear.

I'll see if I can snag some recent production filters and do a bit of research.

Thank you kindly. Sometime a filter gets right again (as is the case now of my left side one), but it'll fail again at some point, more and more often and for longer times. I wrote the whole saga in this thread. It's been, as you said, very odd. I didn't even suspect the filters at first: they looked clean, and why would a filter stop working then work again the next day? So I thought it was a driver issue. But, nope.

Last edited:
May 25, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #18,632 of 19,243
My HF5 finally gave out at the cable. If I'd known (the future), I'd salvaged the filters!

The filter that was bad from the get-go was one of the additional filters (not one of the preinstalled filters). Just to be clear.

Thank you kindly. Sometime a filter gets right again (as is the case now of my left side one), but it'll fail again at some point, more and more often and for longer times. I wrote the whole saga in this thread. It's been, as you said, very odd. I didn't even suspect the filters at first: they looked clean, and why would a filter stop working then work again the next day? So I thought it was a driver issue. But, nope.
Are you sure they aren’t getting wet? Like are they being sweat in or being put in shortly after a shower?

May 25, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #18,633 of 19,243

I can't think of a scenario where a filter would "get right." They typically go bad when they get impregnated with wax, and that usually doesn't correct itself.

Is there any possibility that the issues was something other the filter? I can think of two possibilities. One would be if there was earwax impacted in the ear that somehow got cleared. The other thing is if the eartip itself was pinched when inserted.

I'm not saying that there *couldn't* be a situation where a filter went bad and improved, but I've not seen it before and am not sure how it could happen.

As for an extra filter being bad out of the box, that seems more plausible. If it somehow got contaminated after being tested, that could happen. Just in case that was the issue, I'll reiterate the importance of proper handling with the production folks.

May 25, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #18,634 of 19,243
Yeah, I'll figure out exactly what's going on.

Just to follow-up on this, I reached out to Drop. Their Customer Service manager has since communicated to the team that the Etymotic products do carry a full manufacturer warranty, even if Drop's return window has closed.

Last edited:
May 25, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #18,635 of 19,243
My favorite way to enjoy the music.
IMG_0807.jpeg

Last edited:
May 25, 2023 at 9:36 PM Post #18,636 of 19,243

funny, my er3se new filters also got bad only after few days of usage . . .:thinking:

May 26, 2023 at 7:20 AM Post #18,637 of 19,243
I can't think of a scenario where a filter would "get right."

Neither can I. That's why I didn't suspect the filters, at first. I didn't even try replacing them before I asked (and received) a replacement for my original ER4SR.

Is there any possibility that the issues was something other the filter? I can think of two possibilities. One would be if there was earwax impacted in the ear that somehow got cleared. The other thing is if the eartip itself was pinched when inserted.

No, it doesn't compute. If you look at my early posts on the topic (I've linked you to them, but yeah, that's a lot), you'll see that the volume dropped suddenly while I was wearing the Etys in front of my computer, after hours wearing them. Also, if you look at the tips I use now, you'll see they cannot be pinched in front of the sound tube. And my ears are clean: I could just switch side (R to left ear, L to right ear) to see that the problem was with the Ety, not my hearing from either ear.

As for an extra filter being bad out of the box, that seems more plausible.

That was just one of them. All the others started right then failed after a while. And again this time, the left side that failed was fine the next day for one hour or so, then dropped to near inaudibility again.

Are you sure they aren’t getting wet? Like are they being sweat in or being put in shortly after a shower?

No, I was careful not to do that (in addition to Q-tipping my ear canals dry after each shower, for health reasons). The HF5 (whose filters never failed) was a lot more at risk from humidity, from my sweat at the gym.

May 26, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #18,638 of 19,243
Neither can I. That's why I didn't suspect the filters, at first. I didn't even try replacing them before I asked (and received) a replacement for my original ER4SR.

No, it doesn't compute. If you look at my early posts on the topic (I've linked you to them, but yeah, that's a lot), you'll see that the volume dropped suddenly while I was wearing the Etys in front of my computer, after hours wearing them. Also, if you look at the tips I use now, you'll see they cannot be pinched in front of the sound tube. And my ears are clean: I could just switch side (R to left ear, L to right ear) to see that the problem was with the Ety, not my hearing from either ear.

That was just one of them. All the others started right then failed after a while. And again this time, the left side that failed was fine the next day for one hour or so, then dropped to near inaudibility again.

No, I was careful not to do that (in addition to Q-tipping my ear canals dry after each shower, for health reasons). The HF5 (whose filters never failed) was a lot more at risk from humidity, from my sweat at the gym.

Thanks for the response. I'll have to think about this. I am not sure what would cause a properly functioning filter to clog up faster now than before unless the mesh itself changed.

May 26, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #18,639 of 19,243
funny, my er3se new filters also got bad only after few days of usage . . .:thinking:

I have seen this happen early on with somebody that doesn't typically wear deep insertion IEMs. Have you continued to experience this, or was it just in the beginning?

May 26, 2023 at 11:03 PM Post #18,640 of 19,243
Thanks for the response. I'll have to think about this. I am not sure what would cause a properly functioning filter to clog up faster now than before unless the mesh itself changed.

And why would it be OK again the next day, as happened repeatedly? That really makes no sense; I can't even come up with a theory. I thought about humidity (I leave in a very humid country, though my room has AC/dehumidifier and humidity is currently only 62%, compared to the 100% it can reach without the AC/dehumidifier), but leaving the Ety in a dry box (<10% humidity) with my mics when not in used didn't seem to improve the filters' life.

May 26, 2023 at 11:55 PM Post #18,641 of 19,243
I have seen this happen early on with somebody that doesn't typically wear deep insertion IEMs. Have you continued to experience this, or was it just in the beginning?
isn't the deeper we insert the iem, the more the wax can penetrate through nozzle?
I experience the filter got clogged more quickly with new er3se
well when I'm using medium triple flange I can reach/see lower part of flange inside my ear but its feel same deep as I'm using the small one (3rd party)

May 27, 2023 at 7:34 PM Post #18,643 of 19,243
I’ve had my ER4SR since September and I’m still on the original filters.

May 27, 2023 at 9:14 PM Post #18,644 of 19,243
Hello, need some opinions. Has anyone here owned UE reference remastered or been able to compare with ER4SR? Looking at the UERR as a possible upgrade to the Etys. Basically looking for a "technically" superior version of the ER4SR, If that's possible haha.

Suggestions outside of the UE are welcome too

Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back