If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Mar 17, 2023 at 7:33 AM Post #18,481 of 19,205
I bought ety's own dual flange silicon tips a while ago - they are more comfortable than the grey (soft) try-flange tips but at the same time isolate less, so there's a trade-off. I also use Comply Tx-100, which is very good, but much less durable than the silicon ones. So there's another trade-off.

All three are recommendable, just make sure what are the "chose two out of three" you want :)
I'd give up isolation for comfort and durability, so the dual flanges are likely the better option then.

Mar 17, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #18,482 of 19,205
So this is interesting to see,
54E83D5A-6734-4D64-9BC8-1031B0F786CD.jpeg

There are the obvious differences below 300hz, and above 10k, but it’s interesting to see how close these are between 300 and 10k. I guess this explains why I like both. The ER4SR needs a small bass boost, and the Timeless AE needs a small bass cut, but after the adjustments to the bass I enjoy them both a lot.

Mar 20, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #18,484 of 19,205
4 ~ 6db 125Hz low shelf.
I do 3dB. But yea, 125hz bass shelf helps a lot.

125hz is a good place to start though. It’ll give you added sub-bass and mid-bass but won’t add too much warmth.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2023 at 3:55 AM Post #18,486 of 19,205
Yeah the only time I use 80Hz low shelf would be If did 8 ~ 12db. The ER4SR being BA with flat bass helps as other IEM's have a hump at 200 ~ 500Hz.
So I've used PEQ and mapped the ER4 to the Harman target (using squiglink). It basically raised the bass by around 11db below 125hz. The bass presence is now very good. However, I had to dial back the higher frequencies back to neutral as the treble got a bit too forward and sibilant.

All in all, I can say the overall sound is much better for my tastes and has more or less left the mids intact.

Mar 22, 2023 at 8:10 AM Post #18,487 of 19,205
Hey guys so this is my situation... any European Etymotic users who can help?
I am living in Serbia, and I am in need of new tips, filters, and a new cable for my ER4-SR

the Etymotic support told me in a private message that there is a German supplier for Etymotic parts, anyone know more about it?

Mar 22, 2023 at 8:18 AM Post #18,488 of 19,205
So I've used PEQ and mapped the ER4 to the Harman target (using squiglink). It basically raised the bass by around 11db below 125hz. The bass presence is now very good. However, I had to dial back the higher frequencies back to neutral as the treble got a bit too forward and sibilant.

All in all, I can say the overall sound is much better for my tastes and has more or less left the mids intact.
That’s a lot of extra bass, but if that’s how you like it, then enjoy.

Mar 22, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #18,489 of 19,205
11db below 125hz

+11db! 😳

I can't help but think there are better IEMs to choose if you want that kinda bass, but if it works for you, then that's all that matters. I just have a mental picture of a poor little BA damn near exploding everytime the bass picks up in a song. 😂

Mar 22, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #18,490 of 19,205

Yep. I stuck to 8db the ER4SR pretty much sounds like my past IEM's bass wise I stopped using as I couldn't get a proper seal on them.

Mar 22, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #18,491 of 19,205
Yep. I stuck to 8db the ER4SR pretty much sounds like my past IEM's bass wise I stopped using as I couldn't get a proper seal on them.
All I need is 3dB. I like what the ER4SR does really well, but I just wanted a tiny bit more bass. If I want more than 3dB, I’ll put my Timeless AE in instead. Unfortunately the Timeless has nowhere near the level of isolation.

Mar 22, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #18,493 of 19,205
+11db! 😳

I can't help but think there are better IEMs to choose if you want that kinda bass, but if it works for you, then that's all that matters. I just have a mental picture of a poor little BA damn near exploding everytime the bass picks up in a song. 😂
The bass amount that one needs/want will vary a lot. For headphones and IEMs some of the biggest preference variations are found in bass, and according to Harman's paper, for the most part they're explained by differences in fit (seal quality impacting the low end). Personally, I can't stand the flanges (itchy) and have been using foamies of all kinds which have an impact on low freqs for me. Between best fit triflange and best fit Ety foam I get about 1dB more at 50Hz on the triflange. With comply's old T100 I was in the best scenario at about 4dB down (relative to ideal triflange seal).
So if someone likes to have around +6dB in the low end relative to say, 800Hz, like has always been fairly popular for IEMs, mystery solved and +10dB is actually nothing special.
The worst I've seen were understandably the comply sport as they didn't seal at all on purpose (breathable+awareness). 50Hz was all the way down by about 17dB!!!!

Then there is the matter of listening level that does impact our sensitivity to low freqs(and high freq) in a strong perceptual way. Quiet tends to murder the bass.
But if @sgtbilko listens to music loudly with triflange and a great seal, then I agree that another IEM is the way to go.

Mar 23, 2023 at 5:33 AM Post #18,495 of 19,205
The bass amount that one needs/want will vary a lot. For headphones and IEMs some of the biggest preference variations are found in bass, and according to Harman's paper, for the most part they're explained by differences in fit (seal quality impacting the low end). Personally, I can't stand the flanges (itchy) and have been using foamies of all kinds which have an impact on low freqs for me. Between best fit triflange and best fit Ety foam I get about 1dB more at 50Hz on the triflange. With comply's old T100 I was in the best scenario at about 4dB down (relative to ideal triflange seal).
So if someone likes to have around +6dB in the low end relative to say, 800Hz, like has always been fairly popular for IEMs, mystery solved and +10dB is actually nothing special.
The worst I've seen were understandably the comply sport as they didn't seal at all on purpose (breathable+awareness). 50Hz was all the way down by about 17dB!!!!

Then there is the matter of listening level that does impact our sensitivity to low freqs(and high freq) in a strong perceptual way. Quiet tends to murder the bass.
But if @sgtbilko listens to music loudly with triflange and a great seal, then I agree that another IEM is the way to go.
I'm actually a little like you, in so far as I've used spin fit tips and have lost a lot of the bass due to distance in the ear.
And, no, I don't listen to music at loud levels :ksc75smile:

As I mentioned earlier, I'm very happy with the results and absolutely love the ER4 details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back