If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jan 11, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #18,422 of 19,243
Hello. I recently got ER3XR and I'm concerned about all the twisting and pushing needed to get a good seal. Wouldn't this put stress onto female MMCX connectors and break them in the long run? I'd like to hear a thing or two about durability from long time ety users.

Also the body of the iem is not completely solid and is divided into two parts near the female connector. I can wiggle this smaller part a bit, and it makes a really quiet creaking noise.

Jan 11, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #18,423 of 19,243
Hello. I recently got ER3XR and I'm concerned about all the twisting and pushing needed to get a good seal. Wouldn't this put stress onto female MMCX connectors and break them in the long run? I'd like to hear a thing or two about durability from long time ety users.

Also the body of the iem is not completely solid and is divided into two parts near the female connector. I can wiggle this smaller part a bit, and it makes a really quiet creaking noise.
I try to hold both the shell and MMCX plug while inserting IEM in my ear. As for the durability, I'm not the best person to speak about it, because I only had my ER2SE for 1.5 years and it is still fine.

Jan 11, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #18,424 of 19,243

I'm finding putting a bit of "cold cream" or vaseline for body into the ear helps a lot with many aspects of the fit, including to prevent irritating skin, and even the pushing is much more easy and fluid. It will eventually absorbed by your skin so it will not be all over the iem.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #18,425 of 19,243
Thank you for answering so quickly.
I try to hold both the shell and MMCX plug while inserting IEM in my ear. As for the durability, I'm not the best person to speak about it, because I only had my ER2SE for 1.5 years and it is still fine.
1.5 years is quite a lot. Do you hear a small creaking noise produced by parts of iem body moving? I can hear it clearly almost every time I'm inserting them. I'm wondering if this is normal.
I'm finding putting a bit of "cold cream" or vaseline for body into the ear helps a lot with many aspects of the fit, including to prevent irritating skin, and even the pushing is much more easy and fluid. It will eventually absorbed by your skin so it will not be all over the iem.
My ears are oily enough by themselves, so this is not a problem. I'm getting them in very deep and very smoothly. However, I'm worried about all the stress I'm putting on the mmcx connectors. I try to hold both iem body and connector, but after twisting them in I have to do one final motion and directly apply pressure to male mmcx connector on the cable, or I won't get the seal.

Jan 11, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #18,426 of 19,243
Thank you for answering so quickly.

1.5 years is quite a lot. Do you hear a small creaking noise produced by parts of iem body moving? I can hear it clearly almost every time I'm inserting them. I'm wondering if this is normal.

My ears are oily enough by themselves, so this is not a problem. I'm getting them in very deep and very smoothly. However, I'm worried about all the stress I'm putting on the mmcx connectors. I try to hold both iem body and connector, but after twisting them in I have to do one final motion and directly apply pressure to male mmcx connector on the cable, or I won't get the seal.
Yeah, my ER2XR does that "click" sound some time when inserting them, from the connectors. I guess as long as you are being careful they should last long enough physically. We cannot do more than that.

Jan 19, 2023 at 8:12 PM Post #18,427 of 19,243

Hi. I purchased a set of ER4SR's when they first came out - in 2016, I believe. Still listen to them daily. The shells on mine are as solid today as they were as when new. I did have to replace the cable after a few years. I have 'fat fingers' and find I hold the shells at the juncture of metal/plastic when inserting, adjusting and removing. I also settled on medium Shure 'Olives' as the best all-around tip for me.

Jan 19, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #18,428 of 19,243
Hi. I purchased a set of ER4SR's when they first came out - in 2016, I believe. Still listen to them daily. The shells on mine are as solid today as they were as when new. I did have to replace the cable after a few years. I have 'fat fingers' and find I hold the shells at the juncture of metal/plastic when inserting, adjusting and removing. I also settled on medium Shure 'Olives' as the best all-around tip for me.
I’ve only my ER4SR since September but I have no such worry either.

Jan 20, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #18,430 of 19,243
Does anyone else EQ their ER4S(R)?

I put this together last night and it seems like an improvement.

I’ve always kind of felt that the mids were very nice, but that they lacked a bit up top.

FFCC0E40-D47A-4CF0-ACEC-D5D1786E8CCB.jpeg
1DC8EB04-C1C6-4D41-A869-E56117899AD2.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2023 at 6:49 AM Post #18,431 of 19,243
Experimenting with this
I’m not sure how Etys own target varies from IEF neutral. This makes the bass completely flat out to 20hz, and fills in the 6-8khz area a little. I don’t trust Crins graph after 10khz, and I’ve seen other graphs that show the response after 10khz looking much different, so I’m not messing with anything after 10khz. All the graphs I’ve seen show a very slow bass roll off and a dip in the 6-8k area though.

Well, this one sounds really good to me... Opened up the treble, smoothed the mid-range gain and gave some needed air. Soundstage seems to have opened up as well.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230126-133238.png
    Screenshot_20230126-133238.png
    261.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 31, 2023 at 4:34 AM Post #18,433 of 19,243
Also looking at /r/Headphones It get so annoying how much FUD about ER4SR/XR is spread about them because they can rival TOTL DD full size on all ends. They spent a week or more raging when HD800S owners switched to ER4XR after noticing BA driver they use match planar tech.

Feb 9, 2023 at 6:32 AM Post #18,435 of 19,243
Does anybody have a clue what's going with Etymotic ER38-15SM standard frosted eartips? Is it out of production?
Yes. No more frosted tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back