If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jun 28, 2022 at 7:23 AM Post #17,896 of 19,243
Is it possible to remove that mmcx part and pull it off the driver anyone tried it? Does it come off on the er4?

mmcx.jpg
pep11 cable connector does not fit with that part there its in the way.

It's not easy to remove the MMCX socket without destroying the earpiece. If the countersink is causing you issues, it'd be easier to machine off the lip that forces the countersink. You can do that without touching the MMCX socket.

Jun 29, 2022 at 6:49 AM Post #17,897 of 19,243
Right now using Shure Aonic 3, but after roughly 6 months, I'm done with it, and I want to go back to XR. But the thing is, I'm still worried about the tips :D

Is Westone Star Tips blue (the long one) isolating enough and sounding really similar to stock tips? And Do you guys have any other alternatives for the foam other than Shure olive (because they sound terrible... like mid bass everywhere, yuck!)? Maybe someone has ever used Dekoni foam here?

Thank you.

Jun 29, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #17,899 of 19,243
Right now using Shure Aonic 3, but after roughly 6 months, I'm done with it, and I want to go back to XR. But the thing is, I'm still worried about the tips :D
No idea why so many Single BA IEM's seem gimp there performance?. The ER4XR can rival many Multi-BA & DD IEM's in the bass area with proper seal, With extra 4~5db shelf boost at 90Hz I amazing how much sub bass the drivers can output without problems.

Jun 29, 2022 at 8:02 PM Post #17,900 of 19,243
No idea why so many Single BA IEM's seem gimp there performance?. The ER4XR can rival many Multi-BA & DD IEM's in the bass area with proper seal, With extra 4~5db shelf boost at 90Hz I amazing how much sub bass the drivers can output without problems.
Yap, exactly. But then the etys tips are rather fragile for my taste, and the third party ones don’t sound as good :D yeah still mulling over buying it and then just try westone star tips or dekoni foam. Hopefully this is third time lucky (yes, i’ve had a pair of etys twice before, XR at first, then had problem finding tips. Then 4B, also using up all my tips, then now the feelings are coming back again :D)

Jun 29, 2022 at 9:33 PM Post #17,901 of 19,243
Yap, exactly. But then the etys tips are rather fragile for my taste, and the third party ones don’t sound as good :D yeah still mulling over buying it and then just try westone star tips or dekoni foam. Hopefully this is third time lucky (yes, i’ve had a pair of etys twice before, XR at first, then had problem finding tips. Then 4B, also using up all my tips, then now the feelings are coming back again :D)
Been using these for years on my ER4. Trim to fit. https://www.earplugstore.com/roauprtrflti.html

Jun 30, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #17,904 of 19,243
Has anyone tried any of the Lunashops Etymotic cables on Ali? Any good? Low resistance?

Specifically interested in > https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004123847425.html?pdp_npi=2@dis!USD!US $37.00!US $33.30!!!!!@2101d1ad16564089251232568e9281!12000028114152015!im

Trying to get the resistance of this cable from the seller hasn't yielded any results.
My experience (YMMV) - -
I tried two sets from Lunashops for my 4SR. *Not the one you're interested in, however.* Both balanced, one 4.4mm the other 2.5mm. Both around $60. The 4.4 was extremely microphonic. The 2.5 didn't seem to be wired correctly. To my ears, it sounded out-of-phase. I ended up buying the Etymotic 2.5 balanced cable as soon as it became available. Works great.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #17,906 of 19,243
My experience (YMMV) - -
I tried two sets from Lunashops for my 4SR. *Not the one you're interested in, however.* Both balanced, one 4.4mm the other 2.5mm. Both around $60. The 4.4 was extremely microphonic. The 2.5 didn't seem to be wired correctly. To my ears, it sounded out-of-phase. I ended up buying the Etymotic 2.5 balanced cable as soon as it became available. Works great.

Thanks. Doesn't bode well and doubly so when i demonstrate what info i want from the seller and they don't give it to me. Maybe they're dropshipping.

Jul 2, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #17,908 of 19,243
I like the idea of having choice on the ER4SR/ER3SE if I was flat bass I can turn off the low shelf, I stick with 6db bass boost since I liked ER2XR but not keen on reduced detail & slow decay not to mention I find the ER4XR bit lean to my ears.

Jul 2, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #17,909 of 19,243
Are there known issues with Etymotic cables at the moment?

I've had two sets of ER2XR's now with the same issue of a lose connection at the plug and sound cutting out. The retailer hasn't said anything but i'm wasting money on postage returning them at this point.
I made a post flagging the issue a few months ago but got no response. Had bought an ER2XR that had a loose MMCX connection out of the box that caused audio to cut out randomly. Had to return the pair.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/if-...thread-for-you.538615/page-1183#post-16935412
Couldn't have been a fluke either since several folks on reddit had the same issue around that time, so I suspected a bad batch.
It's been months now and considering the issue is still popping up from time to time here and elsewhere (example) I'm guessing they stealth-shifted to cheaper MMCX connectors to lower costs. Shame really since the ER2s are known to be bulletproof.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 8:01 PM Post #17,910 of 19,243
I made a post flagging the issue a few months ago but got no response. Had bought an ER2XR that had a loose MMCX connection out of the box that caused audio to cut out randomly. Had to return the pair.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/if-...thread-for-you.538615/page-1183#post-16935412
Couldn't have been a fluke either since several folks on reddit had the same issue around that time, so I suspected a bad batch.
It's been months now and considering the issue is still popping up from time to time here and elsewhere (example) I'm guessing they stealth-shifted to cheaper MMCX connectors to lower costs. Shame really since the ER2s are known to be bulletproof.
Thanks. That's both disappointing and relieving to know. Did you find it was the cable then? I'm 99% sure it's the cable/male connector joint but i wonder if it the female connector is playing a part in the issue. I have one mmcx cable that fits in the Er2 housing, will try and test it more to confirm.

@EtyDave @etymoticofficial Can you guys shed any light?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back