If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jan 11, 2022 at 11:42 PM Post #17,417 of 19,241
Did the ER-4B have detachable cable? I was just wondering if ER-4 had the 2-pin detachable cable at the time of release in 1991, or did it get the design at a later revision. I know that ER-1/2/3/6 didn't have detachable cables at the time of release.

ER4B/S/P never had detachable cable. Or at least, they are never SUPPOSED to be detachable unless for maintenance purposes, but of cos it was later found that you can actually do that with some appropriate tools, some brutal force and some luck (that you dun damage the drivers, and that you can reinstall a cable on it). In any event at the time of the ER4's release few people in the world (head-fiers included) have any idea what 2-pin or mmcx means.

Jan 14, 2022 at 10:34 AM Post #17,418 of 19,241
I generally tend to feel the opposite that BA bass can decay too quickly but that is probably due to me just being so used to the sound of DD. I do love how clean BA bass can sound though. The can really capture the attach of a good sawtooth / square wave synth.

I wonder if some tracks sound strange with BA bass because they were recorded, mixed and mastered using DD playback as a reference. Then when BA's come along you are only listening to the recorded waveform and not the way the waveform makes a DD behave.
I think much extra decay and warmth is from the diaphragm not resting quick enough after a playing a bass note/wave it distorting when it forced to carry on. The ER4XR still sounds warm & fuller than the ER4SR, Even I EQ them to output 7db they sound super clean to when a DD tries that bass level. Listening to dark ambient & drone/doom on my ER4XR, I'm hearing new sounds that were masked by the DD smearing the mids/treble when Its decay was too slow. It one of the reasons I wasn't keen on the ER2XR.

Jan 17, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #17,419 of 19,241
EVO for sale :)

Hey everybody,
As some of you probably know by now, I'm a huge Ety EVO fan. For me, it's always been an upgrade to my beloved ER4SR and ER4B. However since I have two pairs and due to some recent changes to my health I will not be using the second pair for their intended purpose. Gigging days are over I'm afraid. Oh well.
I've used them for I would say 30 hours in studio conditions and have included everything they came with EXCEPT the XL dual flange tips. I'm afraid those are the ones I used so you won't be getting a new set of those. Everything else is unused and I will also include a classic ER4/3 style carry pouch, and also for the hell of it you can have a new tuning kit too because tuning Etys is a joy I believe everybody should get to experience at least once :)

Condition is excellent/like new and bought for £519

Please do get in touch if you're interested. I am also not one of those "no returns!" people. If you have issues for whatever reason then provided you've treated them respectfully as they arrived, I am more than happy to get them back off you or perhaps work through any specific issues.

Oh and no tricks here. What you see in the photos is what you get. Just get in touch if you have any questions. Ok that's enough from me :p

Listing can be found here: https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/etymotic-evo.18320/

Attachments

• Untitled3.jpg
    Untitled3.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    631.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled1.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 17, 2022 at 11:07 PM Post #17,420 of 19,241
Hi, anybody here has an experience with channel imbalance due to weird fitting?

Like I just realised, after these three years of using Ety, that my left ear sometimes quieter, but sometimes it’s the right one. it’s like I really need to be accurate with the fitting, or otherwise that happens.

I realised it because finally I have songs that sound wonky if there is imbalance. With other songs, it’s not so pronounced, which made me not realising it for so long.

Any tips (no pun intended) for this? Thank you.

Jan 18, 2022 at 7:03 AM Post #17,421 of 19,241

Like I just realised, after these three years of using Ety, that my left ear sometimes quieter, but sometimes it’s the right one. it’s like I really need to be accurate with the fitting, or otherwise that happens.

I realised it because finally I have songs that sound wonky if there is imbalance. With other songs, it’s not so pronounced, which made me not realising it for so long.

Hi there,

May I ask which tips you use? I found any silicone tips (because of their deep seal and need to displace air in the canal) have a tendency to cause exactly this issue. However switching to foam tips completely got rid of this issue. I now use the Ety foams but not the standard large ones but the slimmer one (see photo).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220118-120308.png
    Screenshot_20220118-120308.png
    145.2 KB · Views: 0
Jan 18, 2022 at 7:11 AM Post #17,422 of 19,241
Hi there,

May I ask which tips you use? I found any silicone tips (because of their deep seal and need to displace air in the canal) have a tendency to cause exactly this issue. However switching to foam tips completely got rid of this issue. I now use the Ety foams but not the standard large ones but the slimmer one (see photo).
I have found the shure yellow foam ones work well for me and have a wax filter built in which is useful.

d

Jan 18, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #17,423 of 19,241
Hi there,

Triple flange. Tried the grey foam too, and it still sounded imbalance (but way less). Hmmm might try the slimmer one but I've already wasted 100 dollars for three packs of triple flanges :D
I have found the shure yellow foam ones work well for me and have a wax filter built in which is useful.

d
Hmmm. I just bought Aonic 3 too (out of curiosity), and it comes with the yellow ones. I might try them later. Thank you!

But if none of the tips (no pun intended) work, I guess I'll..... stick with Aonic 3 instead :frowning2: Worse than ety in terms of details and isolation, but it sounds quite natural anyway.

Jan 18, 2022 at 8:50 AM Post #17,424 of 19,241

Most probably they are not going to the same depth or seal the same, so they will not sound the same.
What I do during insertion is to hum a little and while they go deeper, the resonance of my voice gets less and less ringing. When in appropriate depth there should be almost no resonance from the voice. You can hear the resonance towards the side that is not deep enough if the insertion is uneven.
These babies are definitely not meant to be put in and taken off the ears often. Get ready for some long-ish listening time if you invest in fitting them right. Worths it though. 😁

Jan 18, 2022 at 8:50 AM Post #17,425 of 19,241

is it because of the insertion depth or difference of air pressure inside the ears?
if it's the former, it might be because of the eartips are too long for you (assuming you're using the stock triple flange). i myself can't use the stock triple flange at all

the latter one is a common problem in non-vented IEMs (which is typically all BA design). best way to remedy that is to equalize the air inside the ears

Jan 18, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #17,426 of 19,241
Most probably they are not going to the same depth or seal the same, so they will not sound the same.
What I do during insertion is to hum a little and while they go deeper, the resonance of my voice gets less and less ringing. When in appropriate depth there should be almost no resonance from the voice. You can hear the resonance towards the side that is not deep enough if the insertion is uneven.
These babies are definitely not meant to be put in and taken off the ears often. Get ready for some long-ish listening time if you invest in fitting them right. Worths it though. 😁
Exactly! If I get it right, I won't take them off for hours! but then I mostly use this outdoor on a bus, or on a train, and some situations require me to do just that. :frowning2: But the humming technique, might try that too. Thank you!
is it because of the insertion depth or difference of air pressure inside the ears?
if it's the former, it might be because of the eartips are too long for you (assuming you're using the stock triple flange). i myself can't use the stock triple flange at all

the latter one is a common problem in non-vented IEMs (which is typically all BA design). best way to remedy that is to equalize the air inside the ears
It's more of the depth though, like sometimes I need to pull it back a little bit, or push it further, depending on the situation. But checking whether it is imbalance or not is rather time consuming and frustrating :D Yeah might try the slim foam or dual flange, when I get the time and the money to order it from the US.

But regarding the air... I also have Aonic 3. It's vented, and it has none of the issues. Maybe it's the air after all....

Anyway, thank you for the response.

Jan 18, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #17,427 of 19,241
Exactly! If I get it right, I won't take them off for hours! but then I mostly use this outdoor on a bus, or on a train, and some situations require me to do just that. :frowning2: But the humming technique, might try that too. Thank you!

It's more of the depth though, like sometimes I need to pull it back a little bit, or push it further, depending on the situation. But checking whether it is imbalance or not is rather time consuming and frustrating :D Yeah might try the slim foam or dual flange, when I get the time and the money to order it from the US.

But regarding the air... I also have Aonic 3. It's vented, and it has none of the issues. Maybe it's the air after all....

Anyway, thank you for the response.
Definitely the air. When you push in those flanged tips, you're displacing air inside. The problem is how much of a vacuum are you creating. That will depend ear to ear as it's all down to the fit. I can perhaps suggest trying different size tips in each ear if you haven't tried to do that. I used to wear a small in my right and large comply in my left with previous IEMs and it's just what worked best.

Jan 19, 2022 at 5:23 AM Post #17,428 of 19,241
My bet here would simply be about the ear canal bend. The tip hits the bend and gets partially blocked. Then moving back to give a little space, or pushing until the bend is passed, helps solve the blockage that was reducing sound.
Can also happen over time with the cable pulling the IEM into an angle that disagrees even more with the ear canal(for me it happens more on the side opposite to where I put my DAP as it gets pulled harder when I move around).

Jan 19, 2022 at 6:14 AM Post #17,429 of 19,241
Definitely the air. When you push in those flanged tips, you're displacing air inside. The problem is how much of a vacuum are you creating. That will depend ear to ear as it's all down to the fit. I can perhaps suggest trying different size tips in each ear if you haven't tried to do that. I used to wear a small in my right and large comply in my left with previous IEMs and it's just what worked best.
We'll try ordering the ety slimmer foams later. For now, I'll stick with my Aonic 3 first. Thank you for the response, btw!
My bet here would simply be about the ear canal bend. The tip hits the bend and gets partially blocked. Then moving back to give a little space, or pushing until the bend is passed, helps solve the blockage that was reducing sound.
Can also happen over time with the cable pulling the IEM into an angle that disagrees even more with the ear canal(for me it happens more on the side opposite to where I put my DAP as it gets pulled harder when I move around).
Yeah could be that. The left and right do have different bends. Ety deep insertion is surely not helping :D

Jan 20, 2022 at 7:24 AM Post #17,430 of 19,241
Weird how all 3rd party THD tests on the ER3XR/ER4XR all get conflicting data. The ER3XR has 0.9% bass THD but every other test wither the ER4XR/ER3XR show <0.3% at 95db. Speakerphone didn't even show what the Etymotic data sheet untill someone in the comments ask him, That odd Etymotic says the ER4XR was 0.7% at 104db on both units. But the blogger says 1.3% at 800Hz with a 94db SPL.

https://i.imgur.com/hG2Mks0h.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-qd9zDrnom-8/WBNrVEvembI/AAAAAAAAE-s/WvJCu2CqmQU/s1600/Etymotic%2520Research%2520ER4XR%2520-%2520thdl.png
The sheet is from ER4SR he tested, not ER4XR. Speakerphone's ER4SR test had a THD of around 0.6% and 0.8% at 94dB @500 Hz. That's quite close to what is listed on the data sheet which is around 0.7%
1642681346788.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back