If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Dec 20, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #17,356 of 19,245
No there won’t but there is one slight problem. They don’t fit. I have a bunch I ordered from Digikey and they only fit about a fifth of the way. You can keep them in place using tips that have a smaller inner hole but just be very careful you don’t end up with a filter inside your ear.

In short, unless you can properly file down the metal sides, don’t risk it.
Oh! Good to know! I was considering getting some!
I wish that Etymotics sold the brown filters by themselves!
I wanna try them but I can only get them in the tuning kit. I'm broke 😅

Dec 22, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #17,361 of 19,245
Has anyone had issues with losing audio on one side? I've had to loosen/unwind the cable for the left side in order to get audio to come through. I've been running the cable over the top of my ears (sort of like how you'd wear Shure IEMs) if that makes any difference.

Dec 22, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #17,362 of 19,245
Has anyone had issues with losing audio on one side? I've had to loosen/unwind the cable for the left side in order to get audio to come through. I've been running the cable over the top of my ears (sort of like how you'd wear Shure IEMs) if that makes any difference.
Strangely enough my ER2 left hand side has starting losing audio after about 15 minutes in the ear. Only happened last night so I have not contacted etymotic about it. My set are over 2 years old tho so I might be out of luck.

Dec 23, 2021 at 6:40 AM Post #17,364 of 19,245
Strangely enough my ER2 left hand side has starting losing audio after about 15 minutes in the ear. Only happened last night so I have not contacted etymotic about it. My set are over 2 years old tho so I might be out of luck.
Could be just a blocked filter.

Dec 23, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #17,365 of 19,245
Could be just a blocked filter.
I had the same issue, i changed filters and it came back, i did wonder if it was moisture as the sound came back after a rest, however it did not happen with my ex2xr so i returned them under warranty and they were replaced - the replacement has worked without issue since.

Since they are out of warranty i suggest a filter change should be tried.

d

Dec 23, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #17,367 of 19,245
I recently changed the filters on both my ER2 and ER4. If it is moisture in the driver is there any way to dry it out safely?
A sealed box with some desiccant, or just open air in a refrigerator (chill section, never freeze).

Dec 24, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #17,368 of 19,245
So, just visited one of the audio stores in my country that has Shure Aonic 4. Crinacle's review mentions that it's B- something in resolution, while Ety is A-. But I was skeptical. Then I tried it for twenty minutes and yeah, something that costs more than ER4SR, and with a little bit more I would get EVO, it sucks. The detail is there but not as clear, and while the bass isn't bloated, it's still bleeding a bit to the mids. Yeah Hybrid driver and not even the BA is close to Ety's performance.

And I was wrong about Crinacle :D His ears are really spot on. Aonic 4 does feel like B-.. Maybe even C.

I guess I will never ever move on from Ety :D
Seems like very few IEM's match the ER4XR bass/detail while using more than one BA driver(Ignoring the Evo) or go hybrid, Same with the ER2SE in the DD camp.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2021 at 12:04 PM Post #17,369 of 19,245
PSX_20211228_005930.jpg

Two cables for over-the-ear wearing, one single-ended and one balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back